Rev Counter

Started by Jap GT300, June 23, 2004, 07:51

Jap GT300

Not sure if i'm in the right forum   s:? :? s:?  

Seeing as how my redline now goes beyond the stock tach I have invested in a rev counter.  I wanted a multi function counter but not one of those huge things with a shift light.

I opted for one by Billion.  It should fit where the stock counter sits once i've mounted it correctly.  The redline on this starts at 10,000 and stops at 13,000 I can only dream!

It also features Didital inputs for Water Temperature, Oil Temperature, Exhaust Temperature and Oil Pressure.  I have only hooked up the oil features so far.

Heres a piccie

GSB

Adam,

Having seen the standard of your electrical skills, may I suggest that you let someone else fit that?  s:D :D s:D
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Seeing as how my redline now goes beyond the stock tach

Just wondering, does it just run beyond the scale or does the needle actually stop somewhere..?

If it's the first, you could always change the backgrounds..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "GSB"Adam,

Having seen the standard of your electrical skills, may I suggest that you let someone else fit that?  s:D :D s:D

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind!  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

Quote from: "Tem"

Just wondering, does it just run beyond the scale or does the needle actually stop somewhere..?

It is actually electronically adjustable!  I could change the front but it would be difficult to match up all the little warning lights!  You can't see them in the photo but there is 5 as well as the 2 digital displays.

I think it would be difficult to replicate although a very good idea.

ps thanks for the vote of confidence re: wiring   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  , so when are you going to fit it for me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Quote from: "Jap GT300"ps thanks for the vote of confidence re: wiring   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  , so when are you going to fit it for me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Shit, did it again... Me and my big mouth  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"
Quote from: "Tem"

It is actually electronically adjustable!  I could change the front but it would be difficult to match up all the little warning lights!  You can't see them in the photo but there is 5 as well as the 2 digital displays.

I think it would be difficult to replicate although a very good idea.

ps thanks for the vote of confidence re: wiring   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  , so when are you going to fit it for me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I meant the stock rev counter...if you added the scale to 10k, would it be ok?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

Ahh.  Yes this does work, CIN has done this.  I had trouble making a template though.

Strangely there is a spare bulb available to have the rev counter adjusted, almost like they thought about using a higher reving engine then the 1ZZ

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Ahh.  Yes this does work, CIN has done this.  I had trouble making a template though.

Strangely there is a spare bulb available to have the rev counter adjusted, almost like they thought about using a higher reving engine then the 1ZZ

I couldn't figure out if there was an actualy difference between the JSpec and USDM gauge clusters but my tach just stops dead once it hits 8k.  I know a few other US 2zz Spyders have had the same result.  So in our cases, the new overlays would be useless.  s:? :? s:?  The ECU still counts revs past 8k but the tach's motor refuses to display it. In the meantime I've been just using a shift light.

Jap GT300,

Any pics of the aftermarket tach mounted in the stock gauge cluster (ala TPS style  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: )?

Jap GT300

Quote from: "143hawaii"(ala TPS style  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: )?

Exactly where I got the idea.  I think they use a similar gauge as well.

I don't have it fitted yet as I'm making a bracket and surround.  it will be about 1cm recessed into the pod though.

I'll hopefully have it finished at the weekend.

MRMike

Adam, if this doesn't work out, is your GTECH working again? If so why not just recalibrate the revs on that for a 10k redline?

The digital inputs are a cool feature..I really need an Oil Temp/pressure guage...
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Jap GT300

Hi

My Gtech is working again thanks to you invaluable advice.  I completely forgot about it as it hasn't been in my car recently.

I guess i'll have that in there as well.  The gtech rev counter can be a bit slow sometimes though.

Anonymous

TPS has an APEXi tach on the 03 spyder and an ULTRA(I think.  I can check though)tach which is black with shiftlights on the widebody car.

Adam let us know how it goes.  I would also like to install a tach in place of the stock one since my motor is fuxxored.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

143 I still have not had the chance to take out the tach to check the pt numbers.  I have not forgotten though.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: