Tyre Wear (average?)

Started by Anonymous, June 24, 2004, 10:30

Anonymous

Have done quick search but couldn't find details of average tyre wear.

The susp etc is standard and i have driven 11 500 miles.

The inside edges of the front tyres are almost bald   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   (meant to wear like that accordin to one of the searches) and the rear inside's seem to be almost illegal also.

is 11,500 miles average?

GSB

Of the 2 sets I've now been through, they wore absolutley evenly across the width of the tyre, and lasted about 15,000 a set. Although I will point out that by that time they were very illegal...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I thought the inside fronts wore quicker because of the camber setup of the car?

If not then this might give some insight into the steering problems i have been having along with the creaking (booked in for Monday)

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"I thought the inside fronts wore quicker because of the camber setup of the car?

Camber settings will effect the tyre ware of the car. How much tred is on the rest of the tyre?

GSB

Quote from: "bigun007"I thought the inside fronts wore quicker because of the camber setup of the car?

If not then this might give some insight into the steering problems i have been having along with the creaking (booked in for Monday)

As standard the neg camber on the car is minimal, (less than 1 deg IIRC, its been a while  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) so wear should be fairly even. My cars had an alignment check every 6 - 8 months since it was a year old and I've always worn the tyres absolutley evenly.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I'd say about 5mm on the outside (front) and almost completely bald on the inside.

Maybe (4mm) outside rear and again almost completly bald on the inside!

Had the tracking checked about 6 weeks ago and it was fine!!

mph

Tracking is only a small sub-set of a full geom check. Depending on the wear pattern, you either have a camber or toe setting out of alignment.

I've had tyres last from 1,200 (!) miles to about 10,000 depending on usage, typically closer to 10,000 for the fronts and around 7,000 for rears.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

If you remember these posts:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight= m

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight= m

I asked Mr-T to look at the tracking and do a check and it all came back fine and they just blamed it on having 1 new tyre and 3 slightly older ones.

I am now at the stage or replacing the older ones - as i raised the point with them do you think its worth asking for a contribution toward the cost as its something they should have sorted?

kanujunkie

i must be a right boring driver then, i've done 12,500 and still got a minimum of 5mm left, 7 on one of the fronts  s:? :? s:?

stock bridgestones by the way
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

This is an interesting thread in that the inside edge of my fronts (Stock Bridgies) are also wearing, although I have much higher milage on my tyres than most (don't know why, but even with agressive driving, my tyres have lasted 25K!!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I think it is cos I also doa lot of motorway driving too......). I was also told that the geometry was out, but the car handles lovely and the wear, in my eyes, is not excessive. I am looking to get the Toyo's put on in the next month or so, so I was wondering if people reckon it was worth me getting an alignement done to stop this kind of wear happening on the new tyres? I had one done on it not long after I had the car (about a year ago when it was done now). How much is it likely to have changed in that time?

kanujunkie

interesting that you said about most of your driving being done on motorways John, same for me, probably about 9000 out of the 12500, just goes to prove that motorways are better for tyres, boring though  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah, I tend to do most of milage, unfortunately, on motorways, probably about the same amount as you. But when I DO get off the M-Way and get a chance to actually drive the car, I do give us some, so its not as if I am looking after them in the correct way, yet I am only just coming to the end of their life after 25K. Strange that innit?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i must be a right boring driver then, i've done 12,500 and still got a minimum of 5mm left, 7 on one of the fronts  s:? :? s:?

stock bridgestones by the way
I've done 11K and got plenty on my stock Bridgestones. I do a lot of motorway mileage and always give it some around the windies. I guess they are a harder compound. Phil what did you get from yours  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Yes, if you keep driving straight  s;) ;) s;)

Start taking those turns with a nice pace and you'll get even tyre wear as a bonus  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

juansolo

20,000 miles 3 sets of rears, 2 sets of fronts.  'spirited' driving style.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Little more "spirited" than me then................  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hope you have nice deep pockets.........  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dancarbon

28000 miles out of the first set  s:) :) s:)  

Mostly the missus on the M62 though  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Sounds a bit like me!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"Little more "spirited" than me then................  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Hope you have nice deep pockets.........  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It's one of the reasons I'm not tracking it any more.  A bit of a comparison for you:

A full set of Yoko novas for the Mr2 = £400
A full set of part worn slicks for the PPE = £80

Anonymous

Yep, can see why!!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Suppose if you have the PPE though its not such a big loss........

juansolo

Indeed.  I'd always prefer to be on track in the PPE regardless of the weather.  It's just the faff either side and the trailering that can be a bit of a drag compared to just getting in the Mr2 and going.  Though I've been on a faff reduction drive of late.

Anonymous

PPE not going to help then is it?!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You could always give it to me.........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Start taking those turns with a nice pace and you'll get even tyre wear as a bonus  s;) ;) s;)

Ok - don't take this the wrong way as i might be sounding daft here but.....I understand the speed you take a corner at would mean they last longer but can it make them wear differently/

markiii

at a push yes.

the faster you go around teh corner the mor weight transfer to the outside tyre, so if you did a lot of fadt left hand bends in theory the right hand rear tyre would wear more.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"PPE not going to help then is it?!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You could always give it to me.........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Just wait until I lose my temper with it next.  Seems to happen about once every 12 months or so when I break something really expensive.

Tags: