Roll Cages

Started by Jap GT300, June 29, 2004, 07:12

Jap GT300

I thought I would share this with you as there are so few around.   The one on the left is made by Amuse and the one on the right is made by Techno Pro Spirit.  The only other company to make full bars for our car is Saito in Japan, but they don't ship abroad.

Anonymous

REPLICATE!!!!

Anonymous

The left one will make the soft top inoperable  s;) ;) s;)

Jap GT300

Quote from: "DARKSTAR"REPLICATE!!!!

If only I had the time.

Anonymous

I wanna the TPS one!!! Replicate it   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I'll see if I can nick some scaffolding from the local building site and build you both one, as you are so eager for a replicate.

juansolo

They both lack crossbracing, though the one on the left is better as it has angled rear stays.  The one on the right would be useless/dangerous in a roll over situation as it has no front/rear stays at all, it'll just fold above the harness bar.

I wouldn't fit either to a car as roll over protection.  If you want a proper roll bar that can save your life, go to one of the many custom cage makers here in the UK.  Caged or Saftey Devices to name but two, will make you a proper strong cage or half cage, even a full FIA approved one.

Edit:  I don't see how you could have a proper half cage in a Mr2 without loosing the hood as the rear stays should really go to the rear suspension mounts.  I would also need at least one cross brace to stop it folding siedways.

I'd also advise against fitting harnesses to any car without a real bar/cage as they lock you in an upright position as you go over.  Without a cage to protect you that can be a very bad thing.

FWIW I've seen quite a few cars go over, two of which were soft tops and the manufacturer roll protection was pretty decent, intertia reels and all.  My advice would be: don't mess with it unless you're racing.  If you're racing an FIA approved cage, seat and harnessess will be mandatory anyhow.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Jap GT300

Quote from: "juansolo"Edit:  I don't see how you could have a proper half cage in a Mr2 without loosing the hood as the rear stays should really go to the rear suspension mounts.  I would also need at least one cross brace to stop it folding siedways.

The one on the left is not upright in its correct postion.  It does mount to the rear turrets and it does require the removal of the roof.  It is also supplied with solid iron bracets for hardtop mounting.  When on track both of these will be in place.

FYI I have bought three cars from a track in Japan near Nagoya.  Both these bars meet the requirements to be driven out there.  The TPS is as used by there race team who have a vast and successful career.

You can also retain with both of these the original centre structural support from underneath the front of the roof

juansolo

Quote from: "Jap GT300"The TPS is as used by there race team who have a vast and successful career.

It'll get cut very short if they're ever unlucky enough to have to rely on that for any kind of roll protection.  Seriously, in a roll that bar will at best be useless and at worst, if it folds the wrong way, downright dangerous.

The other bar with the rear stays will offer some protection though it's lack of any diagonals will reduce it's strength somewhat.  Better than nowt though.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Jap GT300

I can see what you're saying and it has been said before.  However one of the cars that was purchased had rolled.  It was using the TPS cage and although that survived intact with the roof in position the A pillars didn't, both of them folded.  So it seems they don't need to be any stronger and they out strenghen the original Toyota main supports by a long shot.

Tags: