You guys'll be so proud... (tyres)

Started by jinxedkitten, June 28, 2013, 17:19

jinxedkitten

...after you get over your initial shock, horror and unimpressed revulsion...

Had my 2 just over a year now and after a bit of a backside wriggle on a roundabout in the wet yesterday, and a pay rise at work, I figured it was high time I finally sorted her tyres.

Read all the good posts on here about tyre recommendations, paying particular attention to the reviews on Tyres Tyres Tyres thread, wrote up a few of my options (torn between Bridgestone Potenzas and Toyo T1-Rs). Before ringing around for prices, I decided to double check what I was actually currently running. (Cue shock, horror and unimpressed revulsion):

Driver rear: 185/55R15 82H Accelera
Passenger rear: 185/55R15 82V Komet SPT-2
Driver front: 205/50R15 82V Sunny
Passenger front: 205/50R15 82V Infinity INF-040

Holy poop! 82H?  s:-o :-o s:-o

So phoned Protyre in Gloucester, had a very nice guy on the phone who was most helpful and priced me up for the following (which he recommended also, having just fitted them on his friends mk1):

Front: 185/55R15 T1-Rs
Rear: 205/50R15 T1-Rs

£330 inc. Fitting, VAT, New valves, Disposal of olds & alignment checking.

Hurrah! Getting them done Monday  s:grin: :grin: s:grin:
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

roger

Quote from: "jinxedkitten"Driver rear: 185/55R15 82H Accelera
Passenger rear: 185/55R15 82V Komet SPT-2
Driver front: 205/50R15 82V Sunny
Passenger front: 205/50R15 82V Infinity INF-040

Holy poop! 82H?  s:-o :-o s:-o

You've been one very lucky person. Were they really that way round, 185 rear, 205 front???
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

AckersMR2

Honestly  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
That is like telling your fella to swap the wheels around on his bike  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

jinxedkitten

Just double-checked, and I wrote that the wrong way round, they are 205 rear, 185 front. Still though, I know I've been lucky with mixed budgets  s:-? :-? s:-?

Only thing I'm worried about with the new ones is apparently they don't last massively long, 8k to 10k ish, and its a lot of money to shell out every year. *sigh*
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

mr mr2

Try tyre traders half the price
Excelsior

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "mr mr2"Try tyre traders half the price
Will do next time, cheers  s:) :) s:)

Bernie

Don't forget the pressures on those need to be 36 rear 28 front as stock pressures are a bit light also some tyre fitters have a habit of just pumping on 30 all round worth checking out
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

puma2

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  glad you sorted your tyres out before anything nasty happen  s:o :o s:o  
its nice when you get a full set of new rubber on  s:) :) s:)  happy days.  s:) :) s:)  
just remember to run in your new tyres as well  s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

It'll be night/day mate. I had the exact same situation. Rears were even 205/55, all 4 different budgets.

Got Toyos on and the car's handling improved 200%

As said... Run them in. They're a bit slippy at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
...neutiquam erro.

E

Quote from: "jinxedkitten"Only thing I'm worried about with the new ones is apparently they don't last massively long, 8k to 10k ish, and its a lot of money to shell out every year. *sigh*

I wouldn't worry to much, My T1rs are just ready for replacing after about 3 years and they have done about 25000 to 30000 miles including a track day.   s:D :D s:D

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "bernie11a"Don't forget the pressures on those need to be 36 rear 28 front as stock pressures are a bit light also some tyre fitters have a habit of just pumping on 30 all round worth checking out
Yep, been reading about the higher PSI required, ill be checking them soon as they are on  s:) :) s:)

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "puma2"just remember to run in your new tyres as well  s:D :D s:D
Do you mean just driving carefully for few hundred miles before driving at a any kind of speed? Sorry, only ever had poop tyres before so never needed to bed them in properly.

And 25 to 30k with track day is pretty good! We will see how they hold  s:) :) s:)

StuC

Quote from: "jinxedkitten"
Quote from: "puma2"just remember to run in your new tyres as well  s:D :D s:D
Do you mean just driving carefully for few hundred miles before driving at a any kind of speed? Sorry, only ever had poop tyres before so never needed to bed them in properly.

Yes, it's to make sure the release agent has all come out. 200 miles should be enough. Well, that's what I do.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

puma2

s:D :D s:D  2nd the above. yes take it easy scrub them in for a few hundred miles.
don't  worry about end life of your tyres   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  only when they need to be replaced  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

jinxedkitten

Awesome, cheers for the advice guys  s:grin: :grin: s:grin:

jinxedkitten

So got my new rubber today, wow she feels different, tighter, more responsive, firmer, handles well...

And they fitted short valves, look so much better  s:D :D s:D

On a less good note, whilst getting the tyres done, discovered the front offside shock has gone.

Been quoted £210 fitted per shock, and need to get them done in pairs, so £420 for the fronts Anyone know if this is a good price? Going to ring my regular garage tomorrow to see how much they say.

Also need to probably replace nearside rear calliper (handbrake is going again) and investigate oil leak (possible timing chain tensioner leak).  s:( :( s:(

dj2k21

Thats pretty expensive considering my tuners place supplies and fits a full set of BC adjustable coilovers for £600 ish depending on car. And for that you have new suspension right round thats fully adjustable.  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "dj2k21"Thats pretty expensive considering my tuners place supplies and fits a full set of BC adjustable coilovers for £600 ish depending on car. And for that you have new suspension right round thats fully adjustable.  s:) :) s:)
Oh my, hmm, will continue my search then!

ChrisGB

Pair of new KYB front shocks from Camskil for around £160, labour cannot be much.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

AckersMR2

Has the shock actually gone or was it just the rubber sleeve that's split and fallen away? A common failure on the two, both fronts on mine had gone when I had the FK springs fitted, I think the rubbers are around £30 each from MrT if I recall?

Having said that Protyre down my way are very good, had you said Kwikfit I would say that was one of their pitches straight from the "rip the customer off" manual.

If it has gone, get the rubbers checked anyway as now would be a good time to do them (not financially a good time though  s:( :( s:(  )
My only car is a Ducati 

K T M Rider

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Pair of new KYB front shocks from Camskil for around £160, labour cannot be much.

just priced some up for my sister's car (ex mine), £133 for a pair of front KYBs on ebay:

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excel-G-Front ... 1e718c60f9 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excel-G-Front ... 1e718d3044 m
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Has the shock actually gone or was it just the rubber sleeve that's split and fallen away? A common failure on the two, both fronts on mine had gone when I had the FK springs fitted, I think the rubbers are around £30 each from MrT if I recall?
The rubbers have been shredded on all 4 corners for a while, the shock itself is actually loosing fluid all over the place. May replace the front rubbers while I'm at it but probably hold off on the rears til my bank balance recovers.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
My boss just said he has a friend with a garage that may be able to source me parts at trade prices, going to get a quote from him and my regular garage. The guy at protyre did take the time to ring round a few suppliers for me, so I don't think it was a rip off tactic, just their labour costs are stupidly hefty.

StuC

Why dont you take her to Matt?  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "StuC"Why dont you take her to Matt?  s;-) ;-) s;-)
If I hadn't just got pink dreadlocks, I'd blame my lack of realising the obvious on being blonde. I'll add him to my list of people to get quotes from!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

AckersMR2

As it happens I think the rear rubbers are a lot cheaper than the fronts! You could try asking Cheap Toyota Parts on here too but often with things like shocks aftermarket are cheaper than OE and better too?
My only car is a Ducati 

Tags: