Why do Toyota compete in F1?

Started by Anonymous, June 29, 2004, 22:23

Anonymous

I've never understood why some manufacturers go to the vast expense of running an F1 team and then don't make a link to it in their road cars, or at least attempt to make a marketing link between the two. Very few of the current F1 teams seem to be able to make any link between the sport and their model line-up. Notable exceptipns are Ferrari, with the Enzo and Mercedes with the SLR; both having noses influenced by their F1 cars.

The sportiest car in Toyota's range is the MR2 but only the SMT transmission even vaguely nods at the F1 programme. Surely they could make more of it by having cars which at least draw on the F1 styling or performance versions which use F1 technology?

dave

heathstimpson

For them its probably just to promote the brand as being reliable etc
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Bongo

I don't think they'll have had time to tie in any developments yet having been in F1 for such a brief period of time...

Tem

Quote from: "davejevons"I've never understood why some manufacturers go to the vast expense of running an F1 team

Advertising.

IIRC, Toyota has a budget of about $400 million for a year...and I believe there spectators in about 150 countries, totaling to about 400 million for one event. Add sponsorship incomes and the possibility to use it for other advertising as well...it's not really a bad way to advertise  s;) ;) s;)

About using that stuff in production cars...who knows what the future will bring, they really haven't even had a time to do that yet...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

I did hear a rumour that one of the main things keeping the program back was the techs stubborn refusal to gut the pre-cats on the F1 cars...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "davejevons"I've never understood why some manufacturers go to the vast expense of running an F1 team and then don't make a link to it in their road cars, or at least attempt to make a marketing link between the two. Very few of the current F1 teams seem to be able to make any link between the sport and their model line-up. Notable exceptipns are Ferrari, with the Enzo and Mercedes with the SLR; both having noses influenced by their F1 cars.

The sportiest car in Toyota's range is the MR2 but only the SMT transmission even vaguely nods at the F1 programme. Surely they could make more of it by having cars which at least draw on the F1 styling or performance versions which use F1 technology?

dave

Dave its more of an image and brand building exercise nowadays. In latter years, there actually WAS a filter down of the technology used in F1, but not any more as things have become astronomically expensive and WAY beyond the means of any road going car. What F1 for a manufacturer means nowadays is making people aware of the brand. It shows the company is at the forfront of technical nowhow (so people beleive this technical transfer occurs, regardless of whether or not it does), it widens peoples perceptions in different markets and it allows for the companies to be associated with other big names and sponsors that may well be beneficial for the image.

That said, it doesn't always work. Toyota have now inversted over £1bn in F1 and they are STILL nowwhere near winning a race (but they do intend to stay in F1) and Jaguar have progressively got worse and worse. There are very strong rumours that Jag may well pull out either this year or next as F1 has not fulfilled their criteria.

So, don't think it is to do with technology. As the Great Bill hicks once said "Kill all marketing people". Cos that is all F1 is about nowadays.........

Anonymous

It is mostly about brand building and marketing. However, you have to understand that Toyota competes in many different racing series through out the world and part of this experience goes into new car development as well.

I wouldnt really say that Toyota spends 400mil per year, they had that for first few years but you have to consider how they had to build everything from scratch... ferrari has been competing in F1 for decades, has factories, wind tunnels, race tracks and yet they still spend more money than Toyota per year.

Tem

Quote from: "spwolf"I wouldnt really say that Toyota spends 400mil per year, they had that for first few years but you have to consider how they had to build everything from scratch...

Yes, but they built everything before actually starting to compete, si I think the 400 millions is just the normal yearly budget  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "spwolf"I wouldnt really say that Toyota spends 400mil per year, they had that for first few years but you have to consider how they had to build everything from scratch...

Yes, but they built everything before actually starting to compete, si I think the 400 millions is just the normal yearly budget  s;) ;) s;)

its continous work, they opened another part of the factory this year as well. They slashed their budget for 2004 for 25%, so it is a lot less than 400mil so far.

Let us see what happens with TF104b, it should be ready within next few weeks, I have a lot of faith in "Pitbull", and they have put consistent performances since he came in, although French GP seems as worst performance of the year since they couldnt keep their lap times consistant...

Anonymous

I'm sure it is justified on marketing grounds but that sort of cash gets an awful lot of advertising I would have thought. Surely it only works if you can convince consumers that the product they buy is in someway linked to their success on the track? For example, Subaru and the WRC.

I guess it shows that Toyota are getting cutting edge technology an dit will eventually filter down but it would be nice to have more of a direct link to the programme.

What other motorsport does Toyota compete in then? NASCAR? Indy cars and the Japanese GT300 championship? Anything else since they quit rallying? A rally spec MR2 would be cool, can you remember the last mid-enigne rally car? Lancia Stratos??   s8) 8) s8)  

dave.

Tem

Quote from: "davejevons"A rally spec MR2 would be cool, can you remember the last mid-enigne rally car?

Toyota actually built a MR2 for group S rallying. Being in the late 80's, it was obviously from Mk1 MR2. 4WD and ~600hp, drivetrain and engine from GT4...could've been interesting, but sadly the group S was canceled before the MR2's first season  s:? :? s:?

Tags: