Drive shaft problems HELP

Started by Vietts, July 6, 2013, 01:27

Vietts

Hello guys I'm doing a 5 to 6 speed gearbox conversion but I'm stuck with the left side drive shaft not wanting to go in. The right side slide in with no real pressure. I tried using a normal size hammer and wriggle it in but got no joy. Do I need to ask Thor if I could borrow he's hammer? Lol

This is where I'm stuck :s

Any help would be great.thanks

Anonymous

You try rotating?

also some people say 5 an 6 speed boxes have different splines where other say they dont

Vietts

Yup I tried that   s:( :( s:(   tried putting on lots of grease too

It seem the PFL bearings are too big for the FL green cup

normanh

Some driveshafts have a wire circlip on the end before the splines, have you left one in the box after withdrawing the the old shaft, sometimes the circlip needs a lttle compression before the splines will engage.

Norman

Vietts

It look like this at the moment.

The drive shaft came out from a 5 speed box and I'm trying to put it into a 6. It looks like the bearings are 3mm too big for the green cup that insert into the box

Vietts

Quote from: "normanh"Some driveshafts have a wire circlip on the end before the splines, have you left one in the box after withdrawing the the old shaft, sometimes the circlip needs a lttle compression before the splines will engage.

Norman
Do you mean this?

C clip on top?

Anonymous

Try swapping the cups on the boxes they pull out, sometimes hard but will come and you will see what Norman is on about.

normanh

It looks to me as if you have dismantled the CV joint totally, usually the complete CV unit pulls from the box on the outer spline, the CV boot usually keeps the joint intact and theres no reason to break it down further. The wire circlip just retains the CV assembly spline into the box. You might be right in that the workings of the CV joint maybe larger on the 6 speed but from my undertanding the complete shafts are interchangeable unless anyone knows different.

Norman

Vietts

I brought the gearbox with the green cup still attached to it and I thought I could just swap the rest over but I guess not. I manage to source another set of PFL passenger side driveshaft (the whole unit) today so I'm gonna see if that would work  s:) :) s:)
Thanks for the help guys. Update to follow  s:) :) s:)

Tags: