Interesting Article on the turbo

Started by Anonymous, July 2, 2004, 10:10

Anonymous

Anonymous

Look at the fan on the undertray etc!!

Interesting to say the least

SteveJ

Did you not read the article Martin wrote for the website after our (the club committee) visit to meet TTE at the Essen motor show last year?

filcee

Disappointingly, this suggest the SMT will not be an available conversion  s:-( :-( s:-(

I like the nose on the kit - mostly because the '03 'smiley face' is gone  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"Did you not read the article Martin wrote for the website after our (the club committee) visit to meet TTE at the Essen motor show last year?

Yeah i did - but these people actaully drove it and provided pictures.

I know a lot is replicated but its another article that may interest some   s:) :) s:)

SteveJ

Quote from: "filcee"Disappointingly, this suggest the SMT will not be an available conversion  s:-( :-( s:-(

I like the nose on the kit - mostly because the '03 'smiley face' is gone  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Interesting, as whenever we have discussed it with TTE, they are certain the kit will be useable with SMT. Don't forget - the SMT setup is just a manual gearbox with hydraulic actuators for the selectors and the clutch. All that needs to be done is to change the clutch assembly with the stock one from a Corolla T-Sport.

Martin has been running a substantially higher output (torque & power) than the TTE conversion without any problems that can be attributed to the increased power. The failure that he suffered recently was caused by a component that has no additional stress put on it all and would certainly have failed even without the turbo.

Anonymous

so is the turbo compatible with a 5 speed box?

GSB

Quote from: "SteveJ"Did you not read the article Martin wrote for the website after our (the club committee) visit to meet TTE at the Essen motor show last year?

I read it, but updates from TTE are frustratingly infrequent. The fact that other people are writing about it and claiming to have actually driven one brings it tantilisingly closer to reality...  

The more info the better I say, this is the biggest thing to happen to this car since its launch in 2000, Theres no way were ever going to be able to contain all the interest, opinions, reviews, news stories, fitting experiences, comparisons etc within 1 news story...

Still doesnt tell me who I have to throw £50 notes at to get one though.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Wow.....so what output is Martin running then?

SteveJ

Quote from: "bigun007"Wow.....so what output is Martin running then?

Approx 220bhp. Can't remember the torque figures, but I'm sure Martin will be along shortly to fill in the blanks.

Oh, and the figures quoted in the article (IIRC) are wrong - TTE are working towards something like 180bhp due to restrictions placed on them by TMC Japan.

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"Disappointingly, this suggest the SMT will not be an available conversion

The article doesn't exactly say that... just that they chose the six speed manual.... it could be they're talking about just that one demo car.

Anonymous

180bhp??? thats rubbish. im not prepared to 4 grand for an extra 40bhp! i was expecting at least 200bhp...   s:? :? s:?

GSB

Quote from: "Tomr2"180bhp??? thats rubbish. im not prepared to 4 grand for an extra 40bhp! i was expecting at least 200bhp...   s:? :? s:?

Nothing to stop you improving matters once the things bolted on though is there?
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "Tomr2"so is the turbo compatible with a 5 speed box?

yes as I will be proving  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

means spending EVEN more money though doesnt it. and TBH, id rather save the money and buy an S2000...

SteveJ

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "Tomr2"180bhp??? thats rubbish. im not prepared to 4 grand for an extra 40bhp! i was expecting at least 200bhp...   s:? :? s:?

Nothing to stop you improving matters once the things bolted on though is there?

The ECU piggy-back that is supplied with the kit is pre-programmed (hence the reason for the restriction to 180bhp). Unless there has been a change to the plans this is not going to be programmable by the end user.

Also the main attraction with this kit is it will be covered under the standard warranty, so long term reliabilty is one of the primary goals - not just out-and-out power.

Believe me, unless you will be tracking the car regularly, 180bhp in a car this small is more than adequate for scaring just about anything you are going to meet at the traffic lights  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

markiii

it's not about the power it' about the torque, even at 180bhp you'll likely eat a boxteres for breakfast.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "bigun007"Wow.....so what output is Martin running then?

Approx 220bhp. Can't remember the torque figures, but I'm sure Martin will be along shortly to fill in the blanks.

Oh, and the figures quoted in the article (IIRC) are wrong - TTE are working towards something like 180bhp due to restrictions placed on them by TMC Japan.

I beleive it's now slightly down to 200bhp, but torque is up to 220lbft

Anonymous

Little bit "nippy" then  s;) ;) s;)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"Still doesnt tell me who I have to throw £50 notes at to get one though.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Are you aiming on getting one fitted then Grant  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "GSB"Still doesnt tell me who I have to throw £50 notes at to get one though.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Are you aiming on getting one fitted then Grant  s:?: :?: s:?:

I have to confess, its very-very tempting... I could resist, but eventually I'll end up being taken round the block in one and then it'll be a matter of certainty that my name's added to the waitng list for the kit  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I have no willpower...  s:( :( s:(

filcee

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "filcee"Disappointingly, this suggest the SMT will not be an available conversion  s:-( :-( s:-(

Interesting, as whenever we have discussed it with TTE, they are certain the kit will be useable with SMT. Don't forget - the SMT setup is just a manual gearbox with hydraulic actuators for the selectors and the clutch. All that needs to be done is to change the clutch assembly with the stock one from a Corolla T-Sport.

Martin has been running a substantially higher output (torque & power) than the TTE conversion without any problems that can be attributed to the increased power. The failure that he suffered recently was caused by a component that has no additional stress put on it all and would certainly have failed even without the turbo.

Which confirms what I thought ... or hoped would be the case - maybe some 'journalistic license' is in use in the article - or maybe the suggestion (elsewhere in this thread) that a traditional manual was the only available demonstrator at the time is nearer the truth.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

LeeUK

Quote from: "GSB"I have to confess, its very-very tempting... I could resist, but eventually I'll end up being taken round the block in one and then it'll be a matter of certainty that my name's added to the waitng list for the kit  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

What happened to "If I want more power I'll buy a faster car!" ???   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

GSB

Quote from: "LeeUK"
Quote from: "GSB"I have to confess, its very-very tempting... I could resist, but eventually I'll end up being taken round the block in one and then it'll be a matter of certainty that my name's added to the waitng list for the kit  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

What happened to "If I want more power I'll buy a faster car!" ???   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I just knew someone would quote me on that...  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

markiii

welcome, to the dark side   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: