Make an easy-read dipstick

Started by AndyM, July 18, 2013, 18:24

AndyM

PLEASE NOTE: There has been a report of a drilled dip-stick snapping off in the engine so please mindful of this when considering the mod. At present MR2ROC does NOT recommend this method of dip-stick adjustment.

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 20 minutes

Introduction
The stock 1ZZ dipstick relies on taking a reading up the hashed box on the side of the tip to give you an oil level. It isn't the easiest to read and can suffer very easily from running up (or down) the box as you move it around. This simple little mod involves drilling some small holes in the tip which then fill up when placed in oil giving you a very quick and definite reference point.

Please note: There is a very slim risk that messing about with the tip of the dipstick could cause it to break off in the sump which would be pretty disastrous. However, having done it I don't think the structural integrity of the tip is compromised in any way with this mod. Even so, please complete it at your own risk.

Tools/materials required
- Drill
- 1.5mm drill bit
- Masking tape
- Pencil
- Rule

1. Prep
- Remove the dipstick from the car and clean thoroughly*
- Lay it down somewhere securely so it can be drilled, I used my bench and a clamp

* I actually had a second clean one to use

2. Marking up
- Use a piece of masking tape to provide an easy surface marking up and extra stability when drilling
- Measure your desired hole intervals (I decided to go with 2mm, 8mm, 14mm and 20mm)*
- Mark up clearly

* This roughly translates to empty, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4. The 'full' hole isn't possible as the wire is in the way

3. Drilling
- Used a 1.5mm HSS drill bit (however some have used a 2mm I think)
- Drill straight down through the tip*
- Take the tape off and inspect your handiwork

* Note that the 'hashings' can sometimes send the bit slightly up or down

4. Use
- Remove any swarf and clean up the tip thoroughly (I used a small wire brush)
- Give the tip a firm wobble and see if you've knackered it (see warning above)
- If not, slide it into the engine and draw out, you will now see the holes filled up to your oil level
- On further use, grab a rag, wipe the tip and blow sharply through the holes to clear them and then take a reading

Credits: 'Life of Bryan' originally did a bit of a photo guide for this but the pictures have since gone walkabout so I thought I'd remake it for future reference.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

AndyM

UPDATE: Photos re-uploaded and re-linked due to service removal

PLEASE NOTE: There has been a report of a drilled dip-stick snapping off in the engine so please mindful of this when considering the mod. At present MR2ROC does NOT recommend this method of dup-stick adjustment.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Tags: