MR2Jay's MK3 Rebuild Project - Springs Finished

Started by MR2Jay13, July 22, 2013, 22:29

MR2Jay13

Well, for those of you unfamiliar with me, My last project (which I still have) I have almost completed is a Revision 3 MK2 MR2 GT-S. From humble beginnings, she now sits like this

So it is time to move onwards and forwards. I intend to keep the tubby so I have my fun, meaning that I do not have to rush this project. The end result will be that I have the MK2 for that massive grin factor (and I can't bear to part with her) but I also have a little MK3 for those daily trips to work.

I set about asking around all my contacts looking for a good shell I could turn into a car of my own and through a good friend, I have landed a 2000 Pre-Face lift with more than a fair share of issues. Most importantly, the shell is straight and completely devoid of any tinworm (including the subframe issue) and the hood is in very good condition....Oh, and she is MoT'd through to the middle of December

Other than that, she is currently sat of 4 "Noddy" rims, has no seats and the engine is toast  s:( :( s:(

(That isn't a dent on the rear quarter on the seam of the bumper, it is a reflection although god knows how it is reflecting with that much muck on it!!)

Where most people see "spare parts", I see a good solid base to build the car I want around   s:) :) s:)  

So, what are my plans? As I have previously said, this is a complete build. We are talking styling, tuning, the works....

I have already started shopping for her. First purchase was a set of Abflug light brows

And secondly I have sourced a set of daily rims for her. I have my eyes set on a set of 15"/16" Rotas for best but for daily driving I wanted to try and keep as close to stock as possible. Managed to find a set of Team Dynamics Tornado rims in a 15", 6.5J width, 4x100PCD and an ET38 offset. These are shod in 195 50 R15 front tyres and 205 50 R15 rears although I think that before it goes on the road, new rubber might be an idea. I am not sure of the age of the ones on there.

With the car being black, I intend to completely refurbish these wheels in white and replace the centres with something more suited to the MR2   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Overall plans? Once finished I intend to have completed the following

Engine.... It needs a new one, that is for certain. I originally thought about going v6 but the fabrication needed is out of my league. So the plan is to go for a 1zz replacement and eventually turbocharge it. Engine will be detailed in black and gold.

Bodywork.... Looking at fitting a jdl kit to give the car a more aggressive look. This will be accented with the Abflug brow kit. I haven't decided on the spoiler yet

Interior.... Obviously I need seats and I have found an el-glo dial kit for the mk3

On top of this, I plan to overhaul the suspension and braking including introducing bracing to the car.

I am sure there will be more as I learn about the MK3 and what we can do to them but this seems like a good place to start from. So watch this space. It's going to be a long haul but worth it in the end   s:P :P s:P
Car 1 - 1993 Revision 3 MR2 GT-S Turbo
Car 2 - 2000 Audi A4 Avant
Car 3 - 2000 Roadster (Project Car)

chris3boro

Interesting. Keep the updates regular  s:) :) s:)

MR2Jay13

Will do Bud... I like to share my journey as a journal for others but also as a record for my own reference

StuC

Seeing the mk2 Jay, it's easy to see that your Roady will be awesome as well.  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

K T M Rider

Always nice to see a car rescued.

If you look for a four digit code on the side of each tyre, this will give you the tyre age.

First two digits are the week of manufacture (01 to 52), second two digits the year (00 to 13), e.g 0409 would be week 4 of 2009, 4900 , is week 49 of year 2000.

If you can only find a 3 digit code tyres were made before year 2000 (so obviously well overdue for replacement anyway)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

MR2Jay13

Well, that I didn't know.... Cheers KTM  s:) :) s:)

simers

Looking forward to seein this completed... Good luck wit it...
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Stifler

Look forward to seeing this progress.  Not sure about the white wheels but each to their own!

All the best with it.

trevsmr2

Jay you are bonkers ,
not many people would buy a car with no engine or seats ,and their first purchase is a set of eyebrows for it    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Good luck, and get the Celica 2zz engine fitted

MR2Jay13

Hehe, you know me Trev  s;) ;) s;)  

Sourcing the other parts as well, just got a shopping list and anything rare that comes up first, I just have to grab....

Was thinking about the 2zz engine but with my plan to add a turbo, advice seems to be that the 1zz prefers it.

trevsmr2

Quote from: "MR2Jay13"Hehe, you know me Trev  s;) ;) s;)  

Sourcing the other parts as well, just got a shopping list and anything rare that comes up first, I just have to grab....

Was thinking about the 2zz engine but with my plan to add a turbo, advice seems to be that the 1zz prefers it.

Quote from: "MR2Jay13"Hehe, you know me Trev  s;) ;) s;)  
 just got a shopping list and anything rare that comes up first, I just have to grab....

ive got a Rover spoiler ,thats rare   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I was going to buy those wheels you bought for winter use ,asked the guy what tyres were fitted ,but he never got back to me

AmeR

Quote from: "MR2Jay13"Sourcing the other parts as well, just got a shopping list and anything rare that comes up first, I just have to grab....

Ooh I've been there....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

MR2Jay13

Sorry Trev, got an answer from him so bought them  s:( :( s:(

Also had a chat with Trevor at TCB who is on the look out for a good set of seats for me

trevsmr2

Quote from: "MR2Jay13"Sorry Trev, got an answer from him so bought them  s:( :( s:(
No worries mate ,ive got four sets

MR2Jay13

Seats sorted  s:) :) s:)  

Managed to land a pair of face lift seats and a full set of brand new, genuine leather seat covers. Yes, it does mean I have to teach myself a crash course in retrimming seats but it does mean I'll end up with an almost brand new set in there  s:) :) s:)  

Roll on Saturday when she gets delivered and I can get stuck in  s:) :) s:)

Alex Knight

Quote from: "trevsmr2"get the Celica 2zz engine fitted

Seconded! Transforms the car!

MR2Jay13

Quote from: "Alex Knight"
Quote from: "trevsmr2"get the Celica 2zz engine fitted

Seconded! Transforms the car!

Looked into the 2zz and it is a great engine, no doubt about it.

Thing is, I am looking for forced induction at a later date in the form of a turbo (the supercharger kit for the 2zz is a bit tight in the mk3) and the general consensus has been that due to the lower compression on the 1zz, it is a better engine to turbocharge.

So I will be fitting a new 1zz into her with the view to adding the turbo later on  s:) :) s:)

Jrichards20

Jay quick question! How much did your Rev 3 cost you ball park figure? Under £6,000? (including car)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

MR2Jay13

Including the car, it's in the region of about £7k including the kit, respray, engine mods, interior mods etc....

Labour of love, like they all are  s;) ;) s;)

Jrichards20

That seems affordable. I still debating buying a MK2. Dont know whether to get one pretty much perfect at around £4000. or to buy one and keep as a projet.
Street Triple 765 RS

MR2Jay13

I will say it is a totally different animal to the mk3, far more suited to cruising than a b road blaster...

Having said that, get them set up properly with decent chassis upgrades and they are still a hoot to drive. Mine is pushing the 300bhp mark with breathing upgrades, adjusted boost etc which is fairly common on the rev3 tubby.

Before you commit, make sure you know what you want. Do you want it as a daily driver? How much of a personal touch do you want to add? Mine really isn't suitable as a daily (too low, too stiff and I have the little daughter to think about) but if I am feeling low or bored, nothing quite blows out the cobwebs and refreshes you quite like getting her onto an open stretch of road and opening the taps  s:) :) s:)

Jrichards20

I am thinking more about weekend/trip/track car. Something thats nice to take out on the weekend like you said if your bored, a car to go to france for driving trips and for gatherings etc. And ofcause a car to take on the track once in a while. If its a project it wouldnt be my daily driver, but if i just buy one it would start off as my daily driver for a couple of years.
Street Triple 765 RS

MR2Jay13

I will say, take one out for a drive. Unless you have a good set of Coilovers, a mk2 won't cover both. For cruising you want it a bit softer to handle the distance, for the track you want it hunkered down....

As I say, take one out for a spin and make your mind up from that.

ShieldsOnTour

I'm also thinking about a Mk2 - just for cruising..... got the mk3 for being silly in!

Any tips on what version to think about etc?
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

MR2Jay13

Ok, ideally you want a revision 3 onwards (<1993) as these had numerous style upgrades as well as engine upgrades.

Things to look out for are...

Sills - any rust on the outside is likely to have come from the inside

Inside the boot - leaking boot spoilers can cause the car to start rotting from the inside

Engine - how often has it been serviced? When was the cambelt changed?

Suspension - Common fault is a knock on the suspension, usually caused by tired drop links. Parts are cheap but usually need an angle grinder to cut the old ones off...

Most faults are fairly easy to fix. Obvious to say that you would check it out as you would any car. Tbars are prone to leaking as well but we do have an easy fix for that.

Tags: