Sat Nav

Started by Peter Wright, July 6, 2004, 21:59

crankshaft

Here's my 2 penneth....

I bought the TomTom GO just before Christmas - most useful thing I have ever bought. It has amazing sound quality, great 3d maps, built in ASN (Assisted System Navigation) which does dead-reckoning when you are in tunnels, and includes user-dsefinable POIs.

I downloaded and installed the Safety and Red Light Camera database and installed it (it has a mini usb plug) and you can set the warning alert which you want to use and the distance to the POI before it alerts you. There are different sounds, I have selected a woop-woop for cameras and a soft 'bong-bong' for petrol stations.

You also have the ability to tell it to only warn you if the POI is on your route.

The realtime 3d map is great whilst you are driving and you can hear the voice clearly over road noise, wind etc. I even tested it with the roof down and the voice was clearly audible.

I considered phone and PDA based solutions and also looked at the other offerings in Halfords etc, but after reading some reviews and seeing the actual unit I decided to go with the TomTom Go. Some of the other dedicated systems don't support POI imports and Firmware upgrades which the TomTom Go does.

The TomTom Go has already been hacked and IS capable of playing MP3 and MPG videos, the operating system is LINUX and is open source. you can expect a whole host of hacks & addons in the future, like what happenend with the IPOD !

See the review:  m http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtom-go.php m

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

I'm at the stage of renewing my RoadAngel subscription. However I would like to get into satnav. But have the following questions:
Does the TomTom have the same GPS speed camera features as the RoadAngel?
Is it an install job or portable?
Can anybody recommend anything similar that has voice/map satnav with GPS speed camera feature?
Where I'm I likely to get the best price?

kanujunkie

tomtom with poiwarner gives the same features as road angel, and yes it is portable on a pda if you have a plugin gps reciever, i cant remeber where i got my reciever from but its about the size of a box of matches. The poiwarner software comes from http://www.navigating.de and is about as good as it gets for an add on to tomtom
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

All I want is a simple plug in and play device that does both as I'm no tech wizard

kanujunkie

dont worry David you dont need to be an expert, all you need is a pda connected to a computer, a copy of tomtom and a copy of poiwarner, load them and put them in the car, they come with instructions and away you go, the other option is to get 'Tomtom Go' no need for gps receiver or pda as its built into one unit and you'll need to check the navigating.de website but i beleive that it will work with tomtom go
[size=100]Stu[/size]

proeliator2001

I think you'd be best off getting the brand new TomTom Go's that are just about to be released - they come in 3 flavours (and 3 prices of course), come with built in POI warner, entire UK map (the top one has Europe on already I think), can be used to control your phone and accepts custom POI's and so can easily do the GPS speed cam warning.  As pocketgps.co.uk does the POI layers for free (and they are getting better, they are developing speed specific layers so you can be warned it is a 30 zone etc) it will save a lot on subscription rates.

If you already have a PDA, just order TTN5 for it which does everything the Go's do (except the phone control thingy) but is obviously cheaper.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

kanujunkie

there you go, a man in the know.

poi's can also be obtained from http://www.poihandler.com
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "proeliator2001"I think you'd be best off getting the brand new TomTom Go's that are just about to be released - they come in 3 flavours (and 3 prices of course), come with built in POI warner, entire UK map (the top one has Europe on already I think), can be used to control your phone and accepts custom POI's and so can easily do the GPS speed cam warning.  As pocketgps.co.uk does the POI layers for free (and they are getting better, they are developing speed specific layers so you can be warned it is a 30 zone etc) it will save a lot on subscription rates.

If you already have a PDA, just order TTN5 for it which does everything the Go's do (except the phone control thingy) but is obviously cheaper.

Sounds like this is the one for me.
Am I understanding you correctly in that it doesn't actually have the speed camera database but you can download them as points of interest?

Anonymous

Note to everyone

There is a new version of Tomtom software coming out in the next 2 months. I don't know what it affects yet (ie PDA's, GO, Mobiles, etc) but i will post as soon as i find out.

Note to everyone

Anonymous

Just found this for anybody wanting to spend 5 mins reading:

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17826

s:D :D s:D

proeliator2001

Have a read of this if you want a stand alone system -

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-new-hardware.php

This is where you get the speed cam database from and gives instructions on how to do it -

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

Apart from the gold fascia, the Go 700 sounds go, but I best it's going to cost a fair old bit.  Be sticking with my Ipaq I think for a while yet.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

Yep, I'm getting one as soon as they are available later this month.
The £99 RoadAngel lifetime subscription money will now go towards this product.
Thanks for your help.

Anybody want to buy a RoadAngel Classic  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chris

does anyone know if any of these gps devices keep a log of where you have been?  Could be useful for accurate timing - especially  of track laps!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

kanujunkie

pass, i'll have a look into it tonight
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"does anyone know if any of these gps devices keep a log of where you have been?  Could be useful for accurate timing - especially  of track laps!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I know mine will record any route you tavel but only if you tell it to. I have never actually used this function. Not sure how acurate it would be for lap times & i also know no race tracks actually appear as roads.....they are all empty fields.

I'm running an IPAQ h5550 with Tomtom Navigator.

<edit>  To record route on Tomtom Nav = go to GPS Status on menus & select "log" tab.  <edit>

Chris

ok cheers.  I was thinking of an easy solution - start recording here, using current position co-ordinates, and then end recording there, and then calculate the difference between start/stop times...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

proeliator2001

The updates are very slow for satnav systems as you'll soon find out - when speeding up the GPS speed can lag 15-20 mph behind real speed.  Not much use for a track when 1 second is a massive difference in pace but its fine for recording longer journeys on the road using the log feature (not sure if Go has that but the PDA ones do).

Anonymous

If anyone is interested i should be able to get a very decent discount on Magellan GPS stuff soon!

Peter Wright

Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

proeliator2001

Anonymous

ok guys/girls let me know that you think of this as i am thinking of buying it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75327&item=5770120609&rd=1

Slacey

Quote from: "cfcdicko7"ok guys/girls let me know that you think of this as i am thinking of buying it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75327&item=5770120609&rd=1
As it is usint TT3 as it's base, it can't really be bad, just check that you get a warranty of some sorts for the PDA.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

yep, that looks promising Dicko, i couldn't find that link i mentioned before BTW, must have been deleted. Lets hope the price doesn't suddenly go up too much
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Peter Wright

What does NO STYLUS REQUIRED mean
http://www.makro.co.uk/flash13/nonfood/page13.pdf
and does this look OK
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Peter Wright"What does NO STYLUS REQUIRED mean
http://www.makro.co.uk/flash13/nonfood/page13.pdf
and does this look OK
Pete

ie. The on-screen buttons are big enough to push with your finger rather than requiring the finesse of a stylus

HTH.

SteveJ

Tags: