Sat Nav

Started by Peter Wright, July 6, 2004, 21:59

proeliator2001

I've just upgraded my TTN2 to TTN5 (cost under 50 quid through TomTom) and they throw in the entire street level maps of Europe - cheers guys   s8) 8) s8)    Going to be handy on the trip to Italy this year.

Its a big improvement over TTN2 and all the latest Go's have the same software - I can honestly say this must be the best sat nav software out there - it has its flaws but having used Destinator 3 for a bit, TTN5 compared to D3 is like comparing a reliant robin to an Enzo.

It's worth the extra few quid to buy TTN5 than a supermarket special, especially if you're going to use it a lot.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Peter Wright

Well after 3 months of deliberating on which system to buy I bought the cheapest after reading some very good reviews on it
Blue Media Destinator with speed camera alerts £235 inclusive from Makro
Been playing with it all day and must say I am very impressed also speed camera alerts work very well
Well worth the money IMHO
  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "proeliator2001"I've just upgraded my TTN2 to TTN5 (cost under 50 quid through TomTom) and they throw in the entire street level maps of Europe - cheers guys   s8) 8) s8)    Going to be handy on the trip to Italy this year.

I used TTN5 around Italy earlier this year and it performed perfectly. When going to Pisa I selected the "City Centre Option" & it took me to the main entrance outside the Leaning Tower.

Also found it never crashed once even with all the switching on & off along with playing MP3/WMA tracks at the same time.

Anonymous

I, too, recently upgraded to TT5 and although overall it's a really good system it's maps are not up to date.  Very annoying considering it's not the cheapest...

SimonC_Here

Just got PDA/GPS/TT5.

Love it.

Simon

Anonymous

I've got the Navicore system on my mobile phone and whilst its probably not the best it certainly good enough.

Andy

Anonymous

Garmin are just bringing out some new units which mean you'll be able to add your own POI's (cameras etc) and they have full 8 digit post code searching.

Touch screen (mono colour) RRP is approx £250

proeliator2001

TomTom use teleatlas for their maps and its the same company no end of GPS companies use (I think there may only be two digital mapping companies anyway) so if it's missing off TTN5, it's probably missing of a lot of the others too.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

Garmin use NAVTEQ  s:) :) s:)

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "bigun007"Garmin are just bringing out some new units which mean you'll be able to add your own POI's (cameras etc) and they have full 8 digit post code searching.

Touch screen (mono colour) RRP is approx £250

Tomtom 5 does 7/8 digit postcode searching now. You have to add a little file to it but it works great

Simon

aaronjb

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Tomtom 5 does 7/8 digit postcode searching now. You have to add a little file to it but it works great

Ooh.. where did you find out about that?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SimonC_Here

*cough* Ebay *cough*

I mean to say a friend of a friend met a man in a pub who came up with a patch to Tomtom (8.6 Mb Great_Britain.Postal) which you install on your PDA. Tomtom then allows the ful post code search.

There are a few posts about it on most of the GPS websites (PocketGPSWorld etc) It works really well.

Simon

Slacey

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Tomtom 5 does 7/8 digit postcode searching now. You have to add a little file to it but it works great

Ooh.. where did you find out about that?
When installed on a PDA it puts a folder called ZIP on the Storage Card where the maps reside. You need to cut this folder and paste it into the My Documents folder of the PDA itself - now when you select Nagigate To you can make use of the Postcode destination entry (The symbol that looks like a map).
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SimonC_Here

Actually, mine is on the SD card, same level as the Great-Britain-Map folder.

Although I had to add a folder called Tomtom to the SD card as well just a blank empty folder! Software testing eh?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Slacey

No, what I mean is TomTom 5 does postcode searching out of the box. Follow the isnstructions I posted above to get it to work - you don't need to do this on the GO version BTW.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SimonC_Here

I know that, I was just saying I didn't need to move it to the My Documents folder of the PDA, mine sits quite happily on the SD card.

It's much quicker than going through the 5 digit code and then selecting street crossing or whatever.

Simon

Anonymous

Hmmm... My version of TT5 does postcode navigation straight out of the box.  No fiddling required...

The software lives in the SD card and the only thing I did was to copy the contents of the supplied SD card to a bigger, 1GB, SD card as I use my PDA a lot and need the extra storage.

Peter Wright

As a newbie to satnav can anyone tell me what these speed camera alerts are

Truvelo  ?
Red Light  ?
Specs  ?

I know the others ( Gatso, Mobile, Temporary )

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Truvelo are the ones which face you rather than take pics from behind.

Specs are  ones which measure your average speed, like the ones on the bottom of the M1

Red light are the cams which are placed at traffic lights

heathstimpson

Quote from: "bigun007"Truvelo are the ones which face you rather than take pics from behind.

Specs are  ones which measure your average speed, like the ones on the bottom of the M1

Red light are the cams which are placed at traffic lights
And just to clarify Truvelo operate from sensors that are set into the road surface and measure the speed travelled between the first and second and second and third, then snap you if you're being a bad lad  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Emmanuel"Hmmm... My version of TT5 does postcode navigation straight out of the box.  No fiddling required...

The software lives in the SD card and the only thing I did was to copy the contents of the supplied SD card to a bigger, 1GB, SD card as I use my PDA a lot and need the extra storage.

5 digit or the full 7?

Simon

Anonymous

The whole thing.

SimonC_Here

Cool, they must be sending out updated version.

Simon

alancdavis

Got my TOM TOM today,,,,,,GREAT      s:lol: :lol: s:lol:      s:lol: :lol: s:lol:      s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

gun41

Hi, apology if this question has already been posted but could not find what I wanted on the search button

- Has anyone installed a tom tom go in the dash auxiliary box?
I hate seeing any cable and think it would make an ideal permanent dock without being on show to potential thieves
Just lift the lid of the auxiliary box when you want to use it

Just need too find somewhere else for the shades - that's all keep in there!
2005 55 Plate, Silver, Red Leather Seats, TTE Style Bar, TTE Rear Sports spoiler, Chrome Fuel Surround

Tags: