How to install the TTE style bar

Started by Cairo, August 9, 2013, 23:16

Cairo

This is my guide for installing the TTE style bar. I'm no mechanic, and this is my first How to, and English is my 2nd language, but I thought it still may be of help.

Guide from TTE here, read this before installing:  m http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7 ... %20Bar.pdf m

First you need to take of the door sills, these are clipsed in place and can easily be removed by pulling upwards when holding the inside edge of the spotted part:

Next you should tilt your seats forwards and use them to keep your seat belts out of the way, you should also lower your storage bay doors fully:

Cut out the stencil from the last page of the attachment, and use it to draw the circle you are gonna cut away (I just used a pencil), this should be done before removing any other panels. You need to cut out the area for the hardtop bracket (on the stencil) by hand if you have a hardtop:

Cut out the hole with a Stanley knife. Use a Dremel or similar to smooth out the edges of the hole afterwards. It's better if the panel's still in place while doing this (unlike the picture):

Now remove the panel by using a pencil or similar and pressing down on the middle of the 2 clipses on the top besides the hole you just cut and remove them, then pull the panel gently towards the seats to loosen it. Now cut out the plastic above the 2 screws where your style bar is gonna be fastened by free hand. Be careful to not cut away the hole for the clips:

Now remove the bolts with a socket wrench (12 inch if I remember correctly), and put the style bar in place, might be best to be 2 people when doing this. Fasten the screws by using a regular wrench. Make sure that the surrounds for the ends of the style bar are in place before bolting it on.

Now cut a hole from the inside of the hole you have cut to the back end of the panel so you can get the panel in place around the style bar. I had to make the hole a bit bigger since I wanted a snug fit and cut the hole a bit small to begin with. Be careful not to bend the panel until it breaks, when it fits, put the panels back in place and enjoy the result:

PS: The rubber surrounds on the end of my bar are wrong (and ugly), I plan to replace them with a thin rubber strip, but haven't found anything that looks good enough yet, that's why I made sure the holes i cut was a small as possible. The correct rubber surrounds are pictures in the attachment at the top.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to PM me in something about the guide is unclear.  :-) :-) :-)
Mr2 TTE Turbo

Tags: