Is this a Generic Toyota Thing?

Started by 2 of the left, August 14, 2013, 00:32

2 of the left

Had a run tonight with 4 members taking in the roads of North Hampshire and although my 2's engine was sounding as sweet as a nut - At times, on the B roads I was hearing a rattle when accelerating - Now the question is - Is it the back box ?  s:? :? s:?
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

AndyM

Heat shields?
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Jrichards20

Do you have an after market exhaust? I would check the end of the exhaust around the tips. Thats what happened to mine, a small crack turned pretty big and the tip was rattling at certain revs.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

2 of the left

Not the heat shields!! Although I'll check them again - My exhaust is Stock as far as I can tell but will check the tip!!

Davred

I had a rattle which started after the car had warmed up.
I thought it was my top secret light weight exhaust hitting the anti roll bar and tried taping the bar to quieten it, but it still rattled!
Had pulled at all the baffles and they all seemed tight, but having re-checked the forum got it jacked up and onto axle stands last week.
Nappy off plus loosen forward cover at its back end to get a clear look at the baffles immediately below the catalyst, where it converts from two pipes into a single.
The baffles on top of and under this junction have 4 spot welds fixing them onto the two branch pipe s . They had all broken and could be moved to cause the rattle I'd been hearing although the other end where they connected to the next pair of baffles were tight.
  Got out some Brillo pads and stuffed these between the plates and pipes until I couldn't move them any more
Test drive and not a sound!!! Still all quiet a week later so sorted (until the wire wool/brillo rusts away)  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
W. Red. Black leather. Facelift wheels.Toyo T1R. Pre-cats removed. Matts TTE style chassis brace. 2003 facelift front brace, FK lowering springs, Dev keyhole covers, tte rear grille. Tanabe G-Power Medalion exhaust, JSpec nose badge, mongo's, front strut brace. Matt perf engine rebuild May 2014.

Davred

Hadn't finished there and by baffles I mean heat shields!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Understand this was a problem Toyota recognised and may have modified on facelifts? Or later?
W. Red. Black leather. Facelift wheels.Toyo T1R. Pre-cats removed. Matts TTE style chassis brace. 2003 facelift front brace, FK lowering springs, Dev keyhole covers, tte rear grille. Tanabe G-Power Medalion exhaust, JSpec nose badge, mongo's, front strut brace. Matt perf engine rebuild May 2014.

Richard41

Sounds like problem I had, see pic in this thread...

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15561&hilit=exhaust+rattle l

Jubilee clip where marked fixed it, needed to join 2 together.

2 of the left

Think I've solved it. After checking everything as advised I noticed that on the reverse side of the rear skirt there are blanking pieces (designed to stop the build up of road detritus, no doubt)- They were not secured - There were holes that once aligned, could be secured with nuts and bolts but at one end was a clip arrangement allowing the blanking unit to be clipped to the underneath of skirt!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Haven't heard the rattle of late!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: