Crashed

Started by Anonymous, July 8, 2004, 21:59

Anonymous

Gutted,

Had my new unworn rears put on, in the rain, through a blind corner, into an oil slick left by an elise that had just span and hit another car!!

Span around, then fish tailed into the curb - not touched my body work, but the rear wheel is at a 30 degree angle and the front wheel is wrecked - only had new alloys last week.

Feel a bit silly, and gutted that i've wrecked' my car, but at least no one hurt and no bodywork damage.

£475 excess though  s:-( :-( s:-(

Anonymous

Ouch! Really sorry to hear that. Rain has been a bugger latley. As you say, at leat no one was hurt.
  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

gutted for you mate, i can imagine how you and your poor little '2 are feelin.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

kanujunkie

sorry to hear what happened mate, but at least it's not a total loss, a couple of weeks and you'll be back on the road again  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

i did the same thing and wrote a 3 week old 2 off completely!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

That's shit luck mate. Hope you're ok and not too shaken up.

I almost came a cropper the other week in a diesel slick on a hill near my house. I saw a Fiesta in the middle of a roundabout, the front almost completely gone and the car itself was wedged on top of one of those white plastic bollards that are lit from beneath, and me being a very evil bastard just had to turn around for another look....

I got level with the Fiesta and slowed right down to have a proper look, then put my foot down when I was past it. Suddenly the car just went everywhere, and I had to fight to correct it. If I'd been in a front-wheel drive car, I'd have had no chance and would've gone right into a wall. And yes, I know it would have served me right for going back for a second look...

Being a good samaritan, I pulled up a bit further up the road to warn other cars coming down the road. Well, the WTB did anyway, I went down to make sure everyone was OK. I asked the driver and passengers if anyone had called the police yet: the muppet driver said that he "couldn't be arsed, 'cos that means I'll be here ages!"   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

After a quick "For fuck's sake..." mumbled under my breath, I *ahem* politely informed him that he really should...

And so ends my thread hijack.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

SteveJ

Kris "Kerby McKerb" Clark did much the same in MK a while back - learn from his experience - DONT be tempted to avoid a claim on the insurance by getting the work done privately as no matter how low the initial quote is, this sort of damage runs to at least £1200

heathstimpson

Sorry to hear it mate; oil and water do not go well together. have had some frightening experiences in the past to say the least  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Darth Paul

Gutted for you. I remember the roof tile falling on mine and how upset I was. Still, at least my excess was only £200...  s:? :? s:?

Bongo

Quote from: "SteveJ"Kris "Kerby McKerb" Clark did much the same in MK a while back - learn from his experience - DONT be tempted to avoid a claim on the insurance by getting the work done privately as no matter how low the initial quote is, this sort of damage runs to at least £1200

Although for some people this could be cheaper than claiming on Insurance.

Excess + Future premium rises over next 5 years (if you lose no claims).

edit: I'm gutted for you, as i know how i'd feel if anything happened to mine  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

aw shucks

Thanks guys.

To be honest, just thankfull nothing really bad happened, it's a shame it happened and all of that, but at the end of the day i just want my car back the way it was.  A couple of weeks and 500 nicker and it'll be alright again.

I'm gtting a quote first thing in the morning, i only had 1 years no claims, but only just got it, so i guess in 1 year i'll have 0 NCD which sucks, i guess the damage will come to at least a grand so its worth claiming (infact i already did).

~Hey might even get my wheels refurb'd black whilst they're at it

Anonymous

If it looks anything like this then its over £400 for a new wheel as it will be buckled and around £1000 for parts & labour.

Good luck getting it repared mate.

Anonymous

mate

thats nothing, mine was a 30 degree angle, and about the same scuffing.  i'll be sure to post pictures.

it's all on Elephants bill

to be fair, the Elise who'd spun a bit before me wrote his car off, at least i didn't do that

Anonymous

Make sure they replace the rear wheel as its will most deafanatly be buckled. Hopefully you will have got away with just the parts bending like i did and not have to have panels bashed about or anything.

darrenjuggins

Just a point.....

There are a number of wheel sets coming up all the time on the forum, if you are looking to keep costs down, this could be a good way, especially seeing you knackered your fronts as well.

thought I'd just throw that one in.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Good advice,

Since i'm claiming on the insurance they can stick brand new ones on, i'm going to have to pay out my excess anyway so, might as well get them to do the full job.

However, if the guy ever comes abck with a quote and it's not as bad as i think, then i might do this - if the wheels arn't knackard they might just get refurbed o something.

kanujunkie

just out of interest mate, can't you claim the excess back off the Elise driver, seeing as it was his oil you slipped on?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

GSB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"just out of interest mate, can't you claim the excess back off the Elise driver, seeing as it was his oil you slipped on?

Good point, if he'd slipped on oil and hit the other car, then no, but if he'd spun, hit the other car, dropped oil all over the road, and thus caused your accident? Well, if it were me I'd be after him like a rabid dog...  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

i've got his details and i wil be trying, don't know how easy it'd be to prove.  i think it was oil and coolant (some green/blue liquid i assume was coolant).

It defo was the oil though, i wasn't even going fast, must have been 25 miles an hour because i'd just set off from the lights.

kanujunkie

blue/green liquid sounds like coolant
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Apprantly i can't claim against the guy, because he didn't actually hit me - oh well,

Damage:

Rear axle, rear suspension, 2 wheels 2 tyres (1 new on that day), possibly the sub chassis, possible the steering rack.

2 grand

SUCKS

Anonymous

odub ... fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!  Have thye put a timescale on your fixes?

Anonymous

cheers dude,

at least a couple of weeks he said, on the plus side, i get a polo to drive around in, if i'm really lucky a golf

Liz

Hope that you are back on the road soon, when mine got duffed in took more than a couple of weeks before I got it back so hope that your repairers are better than mine were.

Still at least the weather is shite at the moment so you won't be missing out on the sun!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

yeah good luck mate! soon be back on the road
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Right,

A week and a half later, they still hadn't started on my car, waiting for authorisation from Elephant, number of calls to Elephant reveal that the garage doesn't need authorisation.  Go figure, had to get Elephant to phone them and tell them to start already!

So got my courtesy car, since it's a vw/audi garage I was hoping for an A3 or a Golf, what I actually got: 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa Automatic (EasyTronic at that), in grey.  Nice.  But it does great mpg and has a cd-player.  

Looks like I'm going to have it for a few weeks, so might as well get used to it.

Tags: