Started by Anonymous, July 10, 2004, 10:23

Anonymous

Have read this illegal theory on here a few times. where exactly does this come from as I havnt seen it any where?

not saying its not true, just surprises me?

markiii

it's illegal, in japan, and teh states, but yoru right I've never seen anything to that effect in the UK, might be true.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

well after looking at MOT and traffic law sites and a call to my mate who's a bike cop, I have yet to find anything collaborating this repeated claim?

So possibly misinformation spread through chinese whispers  s;-) ;-) s;-)

The cosmetics of two high level brake lights would of course me a matter of personal choice  :-) :-) :-)

Bongo

When i was looking at cars to buy one of them had a spoiler - the guy explained that the normal high level brake light had been disconnected as the spoiler had one and the original would reflect off the spoiler and dazzle you.

He didn't mention anything about legalities...

Anonymous

Err, correct me if I'm wrong but all lights fitted should be in working order, should'nt they?, or car could fail an M.O.T.  s:? :? s:?

Peter Wright

SVA Test says it is illegal
But can not find anything in the MOT Test
So I would not worry about it

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cartell"Err, correct me if I'm wrong but all lights fitted should be in working order, should'nt they?, or car could fail an M.O.T.  s:? :? s:?

they will be in working order? so whats the problem?

Theres enough people on here claiming its illegal? wheres your facts?
Nothing wrong with good advice as long as its pucker and not "I heard it from some , so it must me right"

Peter Wright

Having built a kit car and put it through the SVA test

Once it has passed you can basically do what you want (within reason)

Its like when I bought my Jag brand new I was not allowed to have the leaping Jag emblem on the bonnet but it was OK if I fitted it as an aftermarket item & it would still pass the MOT test

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

perry190
think you may have misread the following, the guy said it was diconnected so they wont all be in working order.

Quote from: "Bongo"- the guy explained that the normal high level brake light had been disconnected as the spoiler had one and the original would reflect off the spoiler and dazzle you.

Anonymous

fair do's

but if someone buys a spoiler with a brake light and doesnt shield the original, it isnt illegal as per recent posts.

end of story and end of this thread unless someone can supply relevant info to the contrary?

GSB

Quote from: "perry190"fair do's

but if someone buys a spoiler with a brake light and doesnt shield the original, it isnt illegal as per recent posts.

end of story and end of this thread unless someone can supply relevant info to the contrary?

I'd have to agree. Its a little different of you intend to build a car with 2 HLSL's, but to add one afterwards is fine. 1 or 2, the law isnt bothered.

In the early 90's, a well known 4x4 had to have some lights disabled the maker at port because it had to many fitted, Only the could it legally besold here. But there was nothing to stop the owners plugging them back in once they took delivery of the cars.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

SteveJ

definitive answer from the DVLA :-

RREQUIREMENTS RELATING TO OPTIONAL STOP LAMPS
Any number may be fitted, and the requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are all those specified in Part I except-

(a)  those specified in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3; and

(b)  in the case of a stop lamp fitted to a pedal cycle, those specified in paragraphs 5 and 8; and

(c)  in the case of a stop lamp fitted to a motor vehicle not being a motor bicycle, first used on or after 1st April 1991 either centrally or in such a manner as to project light through the rear window the intensity of the light emitted to the rear of the vehicle shall be not less than 20 candelas and not more than 60 candelas when measured from directly behind the centre of the lamp in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle.

Taken from :_ http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_17.htm#nsch12

Anonymous

Here's the reply I got from Peter Laborne when I first posted pics of spoiler, maybe he wants to add his 2p's worth.

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "cartell"

Hmmm you could have a problem here. The reason why the rear spoiler is supplied with the blanking plate for the normal HMSL is because it is illegal to show more than one mid-mounted HMSL  s:?: :?: s:?:

Tem

No idea about UK laws, but over here you can have as many brake lights as you want. But you can't block any of them from being visible from behind, so that's why a TRD spoiler would be illegal over here, unless you disable the stock 3rd brake light and install an e-approved light elsewhere (which the stop light in TRD spoiler or copies isn't). Most of our laws are copies from Europe, so wouldn't be surprised if you have the same.

Haven't you ever wondered why the TTE spoiler mounts behind the brake light and the "euro spoiler" low on the bumper?  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: