A Guide on how to change or inspect your fuel pump / filter

Started by dori dori, August 24, 2013, 18:30

dori dori

Note: the following guidance involves accessing the petrol tank and fuel supply system. Continue at your own risk and please exercise extreme caution. Before commencing, disconnect the battery. Work in a well ventilated area away from naked flame and other sources of ignition. No Smoking!

Be aware that the system may still be pressurised when you come to remove the fuel line. Clean up any spillages immediately. Avoid skin contact with petrol and prolonged inhalation of fuel vapours. If you are in any doubt about how to do this safely, do not proceed.

So after the problems I have had see threads below, which turned out to be contaminated fuel killing the original pumps filter and tank residue getting into the original pump and slowly killing that. Then the new pump dieing due to the upper part of the pump where the electrics are being duff

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 92#p532392 m

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 35#p535135 m

I guess this guide will hopefully show anyone wanting to know where the pump is, how to remove it and what everything looks like. Make sure to de pressurise the fuel system before hand!

Firstly move the driver seat all the way forward and tilt the passenger seat forward open both storage bin doors , then take off the driver side one 3 10mm bolts put this out of the way, then remove the driver side storage bin side panel this is only held in but 2 pop in clips that you pull to undo and then push in to fasten once removed also put this out of the way.

There are 2 more 10mm bolts are the rear of the storage bin once removed out these with the rest, you are now ready to take the actual storage bin out will require a bit of force to pull out but as always be careful not to break anything, when removing you may disturb the b pillar trim but this will pop back in so don't worry to much. Once you have removed all that you will have something looking like this (excuse the pics I did a few things in a different order)

You will then need to prise open the below panel is held on by some black sealant don't touch it if you can help it super sticky stuff

once open you will see the top of the pump like this

The top line is held in by a simple slide clip that you can get out with a flat blade screw driver, the bottom one is a simple push together and pull off clip affair I say simple but it isn't you will soon find out. The electrical connector can be taken off once you have pulled the pump out a bit bit easier to get leverage, once you done all that there is left to undo are 6-8 small Philips headed bolts holding down the pump via this circular plate

Ok done all that? pull the pump out will look like the below (which is my current new pump)

the pics below show the actual fuel filter bag (my old one with 74k you can see how grubby it is)

Right that covers most things if you ever need to do what I did and separate the pump in to two halves all you need to do is push in the 4 tabs and ease them apart with a flat blade screw driver again just be careful doing so, once apart you will have 2 push in connectors just the press the raised centre and pull gently to release.

Maybe this will be of use to someone, mods be free to move this to the appropriate section
"You spin me right round baby"

Tags: