03 rear bumper inserts

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2004, 22:10

Anonymous

Has anyone fitted 03 rear bumper inserts
If so,do i have to remove the rear bumper and what kind of job would that be.
Think i have all the parts
Mr T seams to think the number plate holder is the same, so didnt order that
i have
2 ends, in siver 2 insets for each end
2x round cover for the tow eyes not sure why i would need them ?
2x small  grill looking part that go near the number plat holder ?

I must say this was a big task for MR T in Sidcup to get these parts
I tryed to order them on the phone which they found to much
as they use your number plate to order parts ( my one is a year 2000 )
It was a bit of a job to get them to go in to there showroom and find a new or a 03 upwards MR2 so they could look up the parts.
it only took them nearly 8 weeks for them to come back with a price.
I would phone a least once a week to chase them up and only got somewere
when i said it might be a good idear if i could order the parts through the after sales manager   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Anyway they did come back to me with a price which i then said to them to oreder them up and was told they would deliver them  a week later.
one week went by and still no parts, on the phone again and the parts man said Oh did you wont them parts and then said he fogot to oreder them ( Muppet)
So if you wont parts quik DONT go to Jemca in Sidcup

Got all the parts now and ready to fit them
so do i have to remove the bumper to fit them

markiii

yes you need to take the bumper off.

you don't need teh round bits.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"yes you need to take the bumper off.

You can get the 00-02 inserts off from behind, if you don't have the underbody diaper. I suppose the 03+ inserts should connect the same way...?

It's easier to just take the whole bumper off the first time though  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Chris

Quote from: "maxum"So if you wont parts quik DONT go to Jemca in Sidcup

And I was hoping that things would be better since they recerntly changed from the useless McCarthy muppets!  I bet they kept all the same staff!

Hopefully, they have't implemented any new procedures yet, as other Jemca branches seem to be better...

Removing the rear bumper is an easy job, once you get over the fear factor!  You have to unclip the nappy and then the screws under that and it each wheel arch...  I reckon I could do it again in about 10-15mins or so now   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

i fitted the TTE inserts to mine, and i was fearing taking the bumper off as it sounds like a big job, but there's only clips and a few screws to undo and its off!
i could do it in 5 mins now!

Take lights out, then 2 screws under each light,
5 black clips under the bonnet at top of bumper,
1 screw in each wheel arch (quite hard to get to, so i found it best to jack the rear up)
stock insert unclips off
1 screw at bottom corners of bumper
3 clips underneath

your done!   s:D :D s:D

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"Take lights out, then 2 screws under each light,
5 black clips under the bonnet at top of bumper,
1 screw in each wheel arch (quite hard to get to, so i found it best to jack the rear up)
stock insert unclips off
1 screw at bottom corners of bumper
3 clips underneath

your done!   s:D :D s:D

I don't know about your bumper, but I have to remove the licence plate before it comes off and also have two connectors for the plate lights...still no big deal, but worth remembering before you start pulling it off  s:) :) s:)

Also, it's probably best to leave the 5 clips under the bonnet last, that way you can easily catch the bumper when it's free to come off  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

good point tem, completely forgot about the number plate. i found the clips underneath quite hard to get out  s:? :? s:?  

cos mine's an mrs, i had to deal with the fog light aswell but the cable was just long enough to let the bumper hang down

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"cos mine's an mrs, i had to deal with the fog light aswell but the cable was just long enough to let the bumper hang down

Where's the foglight in MR-S then?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

the aftermarket bolt-on solution tem! dont know if you're required to have one in finland but its a legal requirement here

mines screwed on at the bottom of the bumper

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"the aftermarket bolt-on solution tem! dont know if you're required to have one in finland but its a legal requirement here

mines screwed on at the bottom of the bumper

Ohh...sounds nasty  s:? :? s:?  Yeah, have to have them here as well...couldn't you install the fog bulbs in the stock cases?

Anonymous

im sure i read that you couldnt do that as the light clusters are different?? or i might be wrong!
i dont know how i would wire it up anyway

actually, its hardly noticeable. its similar to the 3rd brake light on the bonnet but about a 1/3 of the depth!

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Thanks guy's for your help
Ill have ago at the weekend, ive fitted a rear lip spoiler to the rear of mine
so a bit more work is needed

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Fitted them to day, didnt take to long  and it looks great
thanks again you guys

Tags: