TTE v Stock exhaust

Started by zud, July 15, 2004, 17:21

zud

Following on from the thread about my prang (Thanks to Liz and Darren for putting my mind at rest)... there might be a silver lining!  

I just dropped by the nominated garage where they confirmed that the car is roadworthy until liability is sorted.  They also confirmed the exhaust needs replacing and that they'd consider fitting a different (TTE) exhaust and allowing me to pay the difference in price!  So, three questions...

1.  Anyone know the prices, or price difference between a stock and TTE exhaust?
2.  Is the TTE a straight swap for the stock?  Any extra labour/parts?
3.  Does it still count as a Mod for insurance purposes?
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

markiii

bugger all
yes
yes, but as it's official toyot you may get away with it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"bugger all
yes

As above, but also worth getting as you can sell it here for what £300? and buy a new stock pipe from e-bay for about £30
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

a very good point.
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

Exactly what I did when I had my prang, got the TTE fitted instead of a stock one.
Since getting the TTE I've not looked back!

Simon

scottee

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "markiii"bugger all
yes

As above, but also worth getting as you can sell it here for what £300? and buy a new stock pipe from e-bay for about £30

I have a stock one you can ahve for nothing if you wanna pick it up

zud

Just rung up to get prices for the stock v twin Exhausts...
£315 v £445  (including gasket and VAT)

I'd class that as a bit more than "bugger all", but still a good opportunity to get one on the cheap.  Just need the 3rd party's insurance Co to get their act together now!

Anonymous

£130 extra for the twin exhaust, i'd say its worth it,

heathstimpson

Quote from: "odub"£130 extra for the twin exhaust, i'd say its worth it,
I would second that mate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

zud

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "odub"£130 extra for the twin exhaust, i'd say its worth it,
I would second that mate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I put down the wrong figures... it should say £455 for the twin... but i think I'll third it even at £140!!

zud

I just rung the Ins Co to get a quote for changing to the TTE.  They had two questions:

Is it a stainless steel exhaust?  I assume not, but could someone confirm?

Does it increase performance?  I would say it's not really a"performance exhaust", but I've seen claims for 1 or 2, and even 3 bhp increase.  The ins co have a category for "performance exhaust < 10% difference" and would cost me £72 p.a.  Any thoughts?

As an aside, the third party still hasn't provided their details, but DL have suggested I go ahead with the repairs, and they'll bill the third party direct!  So I might finally get it started in the next week or so.

markiii

you might see some increase, maybe.

But it's sold as an appearance mod.

yes it's stainless.

If you haven't already tell them it's an official Toyota Dealer fit accessory, they may not charge you any extra at all.

Anonymous

When I changed stock exhaust to the TTE the insurance company (Toyota) said no extra premium.

Anonymous

I'm waiting to find out how much of a premium hike a dual exhaust would be now, hopefully it's not that much,

i certainly won't be saying performance, it's purley cosmetic and increased durability.

zud

Quote from: "markiii"yes it's stainless.

Cheers Mark.  Does that mean that the stock is not stainless?  They want to charge me an extra £72 pa if the twin is stainlessl!!!  I'd kind of assumed the two were the same material.

markiii

nope stock is stainless as well.

zud

Oh well, at least I was right in my assumption that both were made of the same material!!  Seems a bit of a cheek to charge £72 extra for a stainless exhaust when the stock one's stainless too!!    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

not that many cars have stainles systems as standard, I'd ask them whether thatcharge woudl aply on a vehicle that came with a stainless system as stock.

when they so no. Say oh good because mine comes with a stainless system as standard. no charge then, thanks.

zud

OK, I've had another go... and got a bright one this time!!

The increase in premium for changing the exhaust is £71.40

If it's stainless, I need to let them know, and the increase would be... £71.40

Then they need to know the before and after bhp, and if the increase is < 10% then the increase is.... you've guessed it.... £71.40

So the stainless and power questions were a bit of a red herring... the answer is always £71.40 unless you go above 10% power increase.

Seems a bit steep though when my renewal was £450-ish including protected NCB!!!  Without PNCB it would be almost a 20% loading for a cosmetic exhaust mod!!!    s:x :x s:x

Anonymous

They're buggers are insurance companies, anything they can get out of you.

heathstimpson

I changed my insurance company to a mod friendly one and informed them my intentions for the car, and was told I would only be charged an admin cost for the update. Made the changes and surprise, surprise the premiuns increased  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

zud

I decided to go for the Twin.  So I reported the change to my Ins Co... "no charge"!!!    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
The only thing that had changed is that when I first rang up I gave an answer along the lines of Markiii's... "we'll there might be some increase, but only 1 or 2 bhp at best".  But in between I asked Mr T about power increase and was told it is a cosmetic mod, so when i finally reported the change I just said "No power increase".  It's unlike me to use 3 words when 20 will do, but this time it was worth it!

Tags: