TRD Waydo Sportivo -> Way to go !! ;-)

Started by dieamond, July 15, 2004, 23:35

dieamond

Yesterday was national vacation, so I decided to install the TRD suspensions sitting in my living room since a month with a friend (I did the installation with a friend, I didn't have a friend sitting in my living for a month   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).

Insallation was kind of a pita... no real problem but nearly 5 hours of slow and meticulous work.

I gave the first run in position 2 (1 is "soft", 4 is HARD)

And OMG is it rocking !!

When you brake, it doesn't lean
When you turn, it doesn't lean. Even the TTE stabilizers set on hard at the front and medium at the rear let a little bit of roll. Now, nothing.

I tried position 1 to see. It's just a little harder than stock. It's still better than stock because it combinates better with the H&R springs than the stock struts, maybe H&R are too hard.

Tomorrow I'll try position 4, rock'n'roll baby !!
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

s8) 8) s8)  
How long did it take to fit?

Anonymous

Quote from: "dieamond"Insallation was kind of a pita... no real problem but nearly 5 hours of slow and meticulous work.

dieamond

5 hours including taking the tools out of the MR-S Cave at the beginning and cleaning ourselves at the end.

I saw a professionnal install my springs in 1 hour for the 4 wheels before though, so it's definitly possible to do better  :-) :-) :-)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

Anonymous

The Sportivo has adjustable struts?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I always thought they were non adjustable...

Tem

Quote from: "143hawaii"The Sportivo has adjustable struts?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I always thought they were non adjustable...

That WAY-DO is some new TRD series, the "real" Sportivo doesn't have adjustables.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Ahhhh, I thought it was a typo and he meant "Way to Go!" or something like that   s:P :P s:P  

Is WAY-DO only in Europe/UK?

dieamond

No Waydo is an official name from TRD.

Tem

dieamond

That's it, but they don't list waydo sportivo for MRS

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"That's it, but they don't list waydo sportivo for MRS

Yeah, their pages have always been more or less behind on what's really available  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "dieamond"No Waydo is an official name from TRD.

Wow, you learn something new everyday  s:) :) s:)  

Is this an entire sportivo kit similar to the normal kit (i.e. it includes sways, springs, struts, bushings, etc.) with the only difference being that the struts are now adjustable?  Where'd you find it, japanparts.com?

dieamond

Ad : I have good prices on them on mrs-passion.com  s:P :P s:P

It's not a kit, but you can buy all the parts of the sportivo separatly if you want.

I recommend taking the springs, to have a good match

You can take the bushings which are cheap too.

Tem

Quote from: "143hawaii"Where'd you find it, japanparts.com?

I think everyone who sells TRD should have them...haven't checked on pricing, but I'd be surprised if the cheapest way to USA would be through Europe with double shipping and our taxes  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Edit: Oh well, let's ignore the taxes then  s8) 8) s8)

dieamond

A *real* society can sell without tax if it's out of Europe  :-) :-) :-)

(I insist on real society, as opposed to "home business")

markiii

Arnaud,

any idea if teh springs are teh same part number as the ones that are usedon teh normal sportivo?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dieamond

They are definitly different : harder, lower, cheaper.

WayDo Sportivo Springs :
front; 23.4N/mm
rear; 46.2N/mm
approx. 20mm - 30mm lower

Sportivo Springs :
Front K=15.6N/mm
Rear K=33.6N/mm
approx. 20mm lower

Sportivo springs are 80Euros more expensive than the Waydo
(don't ask me why...)

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"Sportivo springs are 80Euros more expensive than the Waydo
(don't ask me why...)

One TRD brochure introduced Waydo as "cheap and fun for people who don't need the best" or something like that. Maybe they are more show than go, or maybe it's 100% marketing, who knows...

GSB

Quote from: "dieamond"They are definitly different : harder, lower, cheaper.

WayDo Sportivo Springs :
front; 23.4N/mm
rear; 46.2N/mm

Sportivo Springs :
Front K=15.6N/mm
Rear K=33.6N/mm
approx. 20mm lower

(don't ask me why...)

Bloody hell thats stiff! (said the actress to the bishop...)

Are you sure they're not track springs? I dont think I'd want anything that stiff in the UK.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Ok...now you made me wonder...

The TRD track springs that have been available since 2000 or so are:
-25mm Drop
K=23.4N/mm(2.4kgf/mm)
K=46.2N/mm, (4.7kgf/mm)

And they are recommended to be used with these struts, also available since 2000 or so:
Damping force 4grades adjustable, ex.)2nd: 713/727N (73/74kgf)

GSB

The penny drops... So TRD have a load of unsold Track kits they want rid of then?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"So TRD have a load of unsold Track kits they want rid of then?

Kinda looks like it  s:? :? s:?

I guess that's a good thing, if you live in a country with good roads  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

dieamond

To be honest, the car is better on hard road with struts + H&R than with H&R on stock struts

I think I read on SC that H1R springs are harder than the TRD

Anonymous

Quote from: "dieamond"They are definitly different : harder, lower, cheaper.

WayDo Sportivo Springs :
front; 23.4N/mm
rear; 46.2N/mm

Sportivo Springs :
Front K=15.6N/mm
Rear K=33.6N/mm
approx. 20mm lower

(don't ask me why...)

Wouldn't it be great if we had the specs for the stock springs (00-02 and 03- models)...

I'm wondering whether the (standard) Sportivo springs aren't just the same stiffness (within 10% or so) as the stock, but just 20mm shorter?

But, hey, the WayDo Sportivo springs are definitely stiff, their specifications are almost the same as the competition/track springs (as seen on the Japanese version of TRD website)

I'm definitely going to fit the 4-way adjustable struts, but I'm still hesitating about the springs. If the standard Sportivos are stiffer than stock and you can adjust the shockies to "hard" that may be stiff enough for track days. Then you could revert to a more "civilised" setting for day to day...

Anyone know where I could find the specs for the stock suspension? Even Toyota dealers don't know!

Cheers,

John

Tem

Quote from: "phat"If the standard Sportivos are stiffer than stock

They are quite a lot stiffer than stock. I don't really remember the numbers, but the stock springs had very low numbers...I just remember thinking if the Sportivo would be too rough, when I saw the numbers before buying them.

...but then again, it's all about the spring+shock combination, not just the shock...

Tags: