Work done - Alignment, BC's etc little update.

Started by steve b, October 5, 2013, 19:01

steve b

Well, decided my car needed some TLC including a new subframe approaching MOT time so thought I'd do some upgrading and general maintenance as it near the end of the track day season (only 2 more booked this year), the car doesn't get used on the road except in very rare circumstances.

So today was the last but one bit that needed doing, full alignment at Wheels In Motion.  Blanked out the old settings as they were obviously garbage after fitting the new subframe.

Set the ride height to 2cm lower front and rear to standard facelift height keeping the rake that most lowering kits loose, gave the lights a polish as well.

I don't run with a nappy on, think it looks daft.

Its only crouched down you can see the gubbins under the car anyway,race cat poking out, shiny new camber bolts, subframe, CHE toelinks.  While I was under there any bits of rust got rubbed down and hammerited then sprayed over with anto stone chip / underseal.

Also fitted Speed Source engine mounts while it was apart, you can see I also rubbed all the subframe welds over with seam sealer and resprayed it with hammerite to try and keep the rust at bay.

BC coilovers, it had new Whiteline ARBS & Bilstein droplinks a few months ago.

While the engine undertray was off took a snap of the Elise Parts baffled sump as rarely can it be seen, I do have an oil leak from the flywheel end which is bit of a PITA, not essential to sort that though.

This is the carbuilder solutions el cheapo cold feed induction kit I use, can see the swirl pot top which is needed for 2ZZGE's that are used on track to prevent air build up in the radiator.

The front BC's on with my Ksport brakes.

BC top mount and Ultra brace

Only need to order & fit a new driverside handbrake cable now as its started binding so can't use the handbrake at the moment  s:) :) s:)
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

cabbydave

Nice readings on the Geo report

steve b

Sticking handbrake mechanism meant it also needed a new caliper so on that's gone.

All sorted for Abingdon next Friday, then it gets its set of new boots Yoko AD08R's fitted and then Castle Combe on 23rd Nov.  :-) :-) :-)

Will likely effectively then rest up until March and next years track days.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve b

Well, the BC's worked very well on track, sharpened the car up a lot.  Probably a consequence of the geo setup but it lets go a bit faster now so have to be on the ball.  For the road I think standard suspension is still superior as you need it to be more supple over typical uk roads, at least the ones I drive on anyway.

ChrisGB

My BCs became more supple with a couple of thousand miles use. I find that although a lot stiffer than stock, they keep the wheels in contact with the ground on surfaces that would see wheel patter / hop with the stock setup. I find the car a little quicker to let go at the limit, but equally, much clearer in communication and easier to catch.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

dori dori

still got my bc coilovers to go on, going to be predominately my weekend car but still mainly on the road. What settings would you guys recommend I start from? Roads around here are quite reasonable to be honest
"You spin me right round baby"

ChrisGB

Quote from: "dori dori"still got my bc coilovers to go on, going to be predominately my weekend car but still mainly on the road. What settings would you guys recommend I start from? Roads around here are quite reasonable to be honest

I run 5 and 10 clicks up from soft F/R on 4/6Kg springs.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

AndrewMason

"and then Castle Combe on 23rd Nov."

Steve - had a look on the CC website and can't see anything listed. What happening that day? Got a link?
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

steve b

Motorsport events  :-) :-) :-)

dori dori

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "dori dori"still got my bc coilovers to go on, going to be predominately my weekend car but still mainly on the road. What settings would you guys recommend I start from? Roads around here are quite reasonable to be honest

I run 5 and 10 clicks up from soft F/R on 4/6Kg springs.

Got exact same setup as you Chris same springs to, I've set mine at the moment to the same 5 clicks front 10 clicks rear will see how it goes before adjusting again
"You spin me right round baby"

Two's Company

Does the baffled sump also fit the 1ZZ?  I'm thinking of taking mine on the track for the first time this year.  It's already got BC's, ARBs, bracing etc so aside from some sticker tyres I'm not looking at putting much more money into the car but don't want to starve the engine of oil.

steve b

Yes, fits both 2ZZGE & 1ZZFE.

Tags: