Polished Intake Problems.

Started by crankshaft, July 21, 2004, 12:43

crankshaft

I just tried fitting the polished intake pipe (GB Group Buy) and realized that the mounting bracket does not line up with the hole in the chassis with the rubber grommet no matter how I position the pipe and how far it is pushed into the airbox and wiggled around.

Also, the end which goes into the intake flexible pipe, is way too small and the 'lip' which is welded around the end is just not large enough to seal in the pipe and just rattles around. I have tried adding draught excluder foam to the pipe to enlarge the diameter, but it simply pulls off when I push it into the pipe !

How did others overcome these problems ?? - did you use a large jubille clip to clamp around the new pipe ?? - that is going to prevent the original pipe from being re-fitted should it be necessary ??!

Thanx

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

I dont know how you have done that as mine was simply forced in place and has not moved. It should line up perfectly. I have some photos at home, and if i remember will upload them tonight to show you how its fitted.

Anonymous

no problems with mine either.bit of a bugger to get it in the hole without taking the light out.

markiii

without pics it's a lttle hard to say, however when holding the pipe in your and teh instinctive reaction, at least for me was expect it to go in the opposuie fo how it actually does.

Look at the welded on bracket and make sure it is at the top of the pipe as your looking at it.

making sure teh ruber grommet and pin are removed, first insert the pipe end into teh airbox, wiggle it around until the other end slides into the pipe that disappears into teh wing. now push it about until the bracketlines up with hole and put teh pin back in.

It should be easy, the end result should be a snug but not tight fit.

If all else fails, pop along to JAE meet a few faces and I'll fit it for you.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

crankshaft

Hi;

The biggest problem is that the pipe does not seal to the intake pipe, it's a nice snug fit in the airbox, but just rattles around in the intake pipe, there's at least a 1 mm clearance all around.

The original plastic pipe had foam stuck to to the OD to create the seal to the intake pipe.

Maybe they ground down the lip they welded on too much, but the gap is too small for draught excluder to fill the gap !

In terms of the bracket position (yes the bracket is face up) the pipe is pushed as far as it can into the intake box, I have tried it several times. The locating plastic retainer & rubber grommet could be forced in, but I suspect that the pressure of the bracket will eventually shear off the plastic retainer under vibration, and it's not possible to push the grommet onto the pipe as with the original as it is a hole rather than a slot.

I have pictures, but they're too big to upload and I don't have a photo editor with me, will try and post later.

Cheers
2001 SMT - Pete

crankshaft

I have used a jubilee clip around the intake pipe end as without it, there's no way it would seal.

It's fitted now and I managed to get the plastic retainer in but had to sut the grommet in half to make 2 rubber washers as it would not push into the hole.

Thanx everyone !

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

thats weird cause the foam on mine was and still is on the other pipe, not the one thats been replaced.

crankshaft

Hmm, thats strange, is everyone else's foam rubber seal attached to the female flexible intake as opposed to the male part of the original short pipe ???

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

yeah the foam bit on mine is attached to the old intake pipe what I removed.

Anonymous

Did you try to recover the foam ring from the original pipe, or do as I did and just jam the new intake into place and hope for the best?!

I noticed that it wasn't a very snug fit.. but assumed it wasn't critical? Mabye I should take a closer look...

Tim

Anonymous

just jammed it in and hoped that not too much warm air would squeeze through.

My guess is that if it had been a critical seal, it would have had some more sevre sealing/retaining stuff around it.

crankshaft

I found that the seal was not good enough without the foam, and the foam stuck to the original pipe would have torn if I would have removed it, I don't think it can be re-used.

I tried draught excluder strip but that did not work. A large 'o' ring would probably do it, but the large jubilee clip that I had lying around (or my mate did !) clamps around the pipe and provides a near-airtight seal and also looks quite good together with the polished pipe.

Did everyone's mounting bracket have a closed hole through it or were others opened up for the grommet to slide on ??

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

closed hole.  I ditched the rubber grommit thing.  May well fit a washer if one ever comes to hand.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "phil4"yeah the foam bit on mine is attached to the old intake pipe what I removed.
Same here; I'm sure the seal is not super critical.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: