Bank 1 Sensor 2 replacement cost?

Started by penn, November 5, 2013, 09:56

penn

Hi All,

Search has not revealed any recent costs for a replacement of this sensor so I'm hoping I can get an expert appraisal.

My gf's MR2 is currently sat with Toyota showing a failure of Bank 1 Sensor 2. I have done some reading and realise it may just be the heater element that has failed. We want to get it fixed but the price we have been quoted seems quite frankly insane.

£303.80 + £65 'diagnostics' for replacement.

Don't get me started on the diagnostics cost, I've already ranted to them about plugging a computer in costing £65!

Is this a fairly standard charge or are they trying to rip us a new one? Any views appreciated.

wotugonado

wow £65.00 for diagnostics, you can buy a reader for £15.00 off ebay and do it yourself. Alternatively look on the members map for someone close to your location who has a reader, friendly lot that we are, will probably have a look for you for nothing.
Sparkplugs.co.uk for the sensor costing less than the diagnostic reading from Toyota.
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46976&p=546641&hilit=bank+1+sensor2#p546641 l
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

ShieldsOnTour

As above. A reader can be bought for £15 off eBay. The sensor from sparkplugs.co.uk will be around £60 ( i think DOX-0204 is the one you need --- but not 100% sure and I'm sure someone who knows better will correct / verify) .... and it takes 10 mins to swap over.....

EDIT: OK, looks like its DOX-026 you need from this post here:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30440&p=510905&hilit=DOX+0204#p510905
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

penn

Thanks guys.

So it seems we need a replacement DOX-0206 sensor which is £59.33 from sparkplugs.co.uk.

The OEM part number provided by Toyota is 89465/17180 which is returning results of around £110 to replace. Is there anywhere I can check if the Denso part number matches this OEM part number, or do any of you lovely people know? Slightly concerned at the drastic price difference.

wotugonado

Theyre tried and tested by myself and quite a lot of members on here, we can all vouch for the quality of them. Don't be fooled by the price from sparkplugs other retailers sell them for more, which is why we recommended sparkplugs    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

that said if its the rear cat sensor then you can do a resistor fix for pennies.............................

search and you shall find...................

penn

OK, thoroughly confused now.

Just spoken to garage's senior techy who assures me that bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2 are the same part number, which is in contradiction to everything on this forum. I've triple checked with them and they are quoting:

Error code P0141
Bank 1 sensor 2
Part number at fault 89465/17180

Toyota part number given to me as stated matches DOX-0204 and not DOX-0206 (I checked with sparkplugs.co.uk).

So now the dilemma is, which part do I order? Do I believe the garage or the info on here?

dcod

Sensor 1 is pre cat (in the manifold) and sensor 2 is post cat (after the cat). The difference is the length of the cable only.

EDIT: Get DOX-0206 and you can't go wrong even if it is the wrong sensor (apart from having a cable that's a little long)
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

StuC

Where abouts are you in Cov? I'll read the code and tell you!
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

spit

The Denso 0204 and 0206 are original equipment, right down to the cable colours and clips. As dcod says, the only difference is in cable length and you need the 0206 for Bank 1 sensor 2.

I suggest you explain this to your Toyota boffins before walking away slowly! They are quoting you the part number for the manifold sensor (89465/17180). Either they have the part number or error code wrong. Most likely the former, but take Stu up on his offer if you want this confirmed.

For info, the Toyota part number for the post-cat sensor - bank 1 sensor 2 - is 89465/17200 (or 17201 in later '2s).

If you're handy with a soldering iron, a p0141 can be made to go away with a resistor to substitute for the heater circuit. If you're not, invest in a 22mm O2 socket and replace the whole sensor...... or borrow one from Stu!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

penn

Quote from: "StuC"Where abouts are you in Cov? I'll read the code and tell you!

We're in the Whitley area, not that far from the Listers Toyota dealership on the A45. Appreciate the offer but the car is with Toyota as we speak!

What is the downside of ordering the longer cable, will it not sit on the manifold and perish from getting too warm?

I have found the following part at euro car parts which I believe is the longer DOX-0206 and is down the road, very tempted to buy it and get Toyota to fit it this afternoon as I have a 25% off code bringing it down to £76. I've whittled down the fitting cost to £65 including VAT at the Toyota garage too.

m http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyot ... 336&000210 m

spit

Thats all a bit pricey but its your money, your choice.

IF its just a p0141 code, you can drive away safely and bide your time until sparkplugs.co.uk deliver. There's no downside for your engine with a heater circuit failure in the post-cat sensor.

andyhull

PO141 is the o2 sensor thats located at the end of the exhaust in the Cat. Its far cheaper to do the risistor fix and will only cost a cpl of quid
The sensor is working, but the heater element has probs failed, and the resistor fools the ecu into thinking its working ok.

There are a few threads on this forum regards the resistor fix that will explain which and how to do it. Dont worry the fix in no way harms your car   s:) :) s:)  

On another note, that garage wants reporting !!! what a robbing bar steward he is, and now you have the info of the problem you should challenge him on the cost !!!

** sorry was posted at same time as your update**
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

wotugonado

So they've knocked £300 quid off the price because you challenged them !!!!!!!!
Id tell em to stick it on principal that they tried to rip you off in the first place.

dcod

You can drive the car without the sensor 2. It makes no difference to the running of the car. (as spit has already said)

Buy the OEM DOX-0206 from sparkplugs.co.uk and do it yourself. It's very simple. (I'm sure StuC would help if necessary).

Give Toyota the middle finger.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

penn

Thanks everyone for your views.

I'm not a particularly mechanically minded person but I managed to clean the MAF and reset ECU perfectly fine so I guess I'm not completely incompetent.

If I purchased one of these -  m http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools ... 2&0&t5_468 m  is it an easy job to replace the sensor?

Toyota have point blank refused to reduce the cost of the part and upon speaking to the chap in parts, he admitted they're a rip-off and to buy it elsewhere.

StuC

I am in Whitley too!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Is yours the Blue one over the back of the Jaguar site?

Personally I would get the Denso one and I'll help you to fit it. Can do it in a lunch hour!

penn

Quote from: "StuC"I am in Whitley too!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Is yours the Blue one over the back of the Jaguar site?

Personally I would get the Denso one and I'll help you to fit it. Can do it in a lunch hour!

What are the chances! Ours is the dark grey one with private plate X8 NTY, it's looking a little tired on the outside due to the Hinckley hail storm a while back. We're planning on keeping it and slowly getting it back into a good condition.

We'll very politely tell Toyota that we'll order the part and fit it ourselves.

Stu - do you have all the required tools to change it? We don't have a driveway but the kerbs on the road may do a good job of making some room to get to it  s:) :) s:)

wotugonado

Quote from: "StuC"Is yours the Blue one over the back of the Jaguar
Dont worry hes a friendly stalker  s:D :D s:D

StuC

You'd be surprised. There are a few of us on the Jag site on here. We have mini-meets from time to time.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I remember that hail storm, that was nasty.

I will see if I can borrow a fellow ROCers O2 socket and get back to you for a time, if that suits you?

StuC

Quote from: "wotugonado"

What can I say? Always on the look out for new potential/exisiting ROC members!  s:-D :-D s:-D

penn

Quote from: "StuC"You'd be surprised. There are a few of us on the Jag site on here. We have mini-meets from time to time.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I remember that hail storm, that was nasty.

I will see if I can borrow a fellow ROCers O2 socket and get back to you for a time, if that suits you?

Sounds great, thanks Stu. We're happy to buy a socket if needed as euro car parts is only down the road.

I spoke to Toyota to tell them we're doing it ourselves and he was still adamant that it is the top sensor on the manifold that needs replacing. Could do with the code being confirmed if you have access to a code reader? We'll order the DOX-0206 today from sparkplugs.co.uk.

I think a weekend would be preferable but let me know when is best for you and we'll sort something out.

wotugonado

Quote from: "StuC"
Quote from: "wotugonado"

What can I say? Always on the look out for new potential/exisiting ROC [strike:n8fbfe1n]members[/strike:n8fbfe1n]victims:-D
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuC

Thanks for that Dan!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Penn - If you want to buy a socket that is your choice.
Weekends are not so good for me as I don't live in Cov.
I have a code reader that I am bringing in tomorrow anyway. Can double check it if you want then?

spit

Quote from: "Penn".... he was still adamant that it is the top sensor on the manifold that needs replacing. Could do with the code being confirmed if you have access to a code reader?

Yes, get the code confirmed. Your Toyota chap is either giving you the wrong code or the wrong part number. He needs to be sent on a course   s:D :D s:D

penn

Quote from: "StuC"Thanks for that Dan!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Penn - If you want to buy a socket that is your choice.
Weekends are not so good for me as I don't live in Cov.
I have a code reader that I am bringing in tomorrow anyway. Can double check it if you want then?

Checking the code tomorrow sounds good, I'll then see about the socket. It might be a case that I'm comfortable with trying it myself once I'm pointed in the right direction!  s:) :) s:)

I'm in Coventry for work luck would have it so let's arrange something for lunch time. Asda carpark on London road may be a good shout unless you would prefer somewhere else?

Tags: