Bank 1 Sensor 2 replacement cost?

Started by penn, November 5, 2013, 09:56

penn

Just to add, Toyota confirmed the P0141 code with bank 1 sensor 2 being at fault when picking the car up. Looks like they're quoting for the completely wrong part number!

They've given it a good clean mind you, saved us a tenner. Still, £55 diagnostics is unreal - I think we'll invest in a code reader should be need it in the future.

andyhull

when you go for the socket buy a tin of plus gas mate, otherwise you might struggle to get the little blighter out of there   s:) :) s:)  
it could do with a good soaking overnight to be fair, mine came out easy peasy after 2 days of soaking in plusgas   s:D :D s:D
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "andyhull"when you go for the socket buy a tin of plus gas mate, otherwise you might struggle to get the little blighter out of there   s:) :) s:)  
it could do with a good soaking overnight to be fair, mine came out easy peasy after 2 days of soaking in plusgas   s:D :D s:D

Definitely a good recommendation!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

StuC

Just out of interest. Did they reset the ECU and clear the code or is you light still on?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

penn

Quote from: "StuC"Just out of interest. Did they reset the ECU and clear the code or is you light still on?

Light is still on so I'm hoping the code will still be readable.

StuC

From that, yes it will be.

andyhull

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "andyhull"when you go for the socket buy a tin of plus gas mate, otherwise you might struggle to get the little blighter out of there   s:) :) s:)  

Definitely a good recommendation!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

speaking of plusgas, do you think it would work to get my lazy t@@@ of a stepson from his pit ???   s:D :D s:D   i know its good but is it that good lol
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

penn

Big thanks to Stu for today, we confirmed the code and that it's Bank 1 Sensor 2 at fault.

My girlfriend and I shall pay far more attention to this forum from now on, we'd be £300 worse off if it wasn't for you guys. Will hopefully get some details about the car online over the next week and introduce ourselves.

Thanks all, next mission is to replace the sensor!

StuC

No worries happy to help  :-) :-) :-)  
You just had to pay for a very expensive valet from Mr T!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Glad to hear you are willing to have a go and replace the sensor yourself.  s:-D :-D s:-D

dcod

Quote from: "StuC"Glad to hear you are willing to have a go and replace the sensor yourself.  s:-D :-D s:-D

+1

(Good work StuC)
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

penn

So today we have been defeated by the sensor, it simply will not budge at all. Plus gas has been used, and lots of it yet it still is not interesting in moving.

It is awkward to get to and whilst I was under there I noticed the exhaust bracket has rusted off (oh joy). The difficulty I seem to be having is that I cannot keep the socket flush with the nut whilst keeping pressure on it and loosening. Perhaps that's just a side effect of it not wanting to move!

We gave the car a good run and warmed everything up, soaked in plus gas again and tried whilst engine was freshly warm but no joy at all.

Really annoyed at myself, it's such a simple job but I just cannot undo the sensor. Does anyone have any further suggestions as to how to get it off? Is removing the bumper an option to get more leverage on the sensor? Is a ring spanner really easier than using a socket?

I refuse to let this go to a garage and get stung for £60 labour.

Andys-N20

You might be able to get a offset ring spanner onto it. But your average spanner will not touch it as the heat shield is in the way. It would be a dirty technique but you can nip a section of the heatshield out with a grinder so that you can get a spanner onto it. A ring spanner will get much more torque onto it as the O2 sockets tend to spring open and slip as they are not a complete hexagon.
Another way would be to cut the top off the sensor so you can get a standard hex socket onto it. Again this would be a filthy technique.
Personally if it was me I would drop the cat and replace as they are like £40 from breakers.
Might be worth dropping the cat anyway as opposed to removing the bumper. Removing the bumper will get you more room to move.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

ais

Quote from: "Penn"The difficulty I seem to be having is that I cannot keep the socket flush with the nut whilst keeping pressure on it and loosening.
I found that I needed to gently tap the O2 socket onto the O2 sensor - very tight fit otherwise.
Couldn't get it square on otherwise.
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19412&start=60 l

Jandaw

I tried to be nice using conventional tools but ultimately cut the sensor and used a single hex socket with a breaker bar.
We DIYers pratt about sometimes, do what a professional  would do, use a bit of brute force in this instance as you're not going to break anything.

penn

We've been defeated, 2 weeks of trying and it will not budge.

Going to have to pay a garage to change it, so frustrating!

Wabbitkilla

I have heard someone say they chopped the body of the sensor off, fitted an impact socket and drove it out with an air impact gun. That's pretty extreme, but I can understand why.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

penn

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I have heard someone say they chopped the body of the sensor off, fitted an impact socket and drove it out with an air impact gun. That's pretty extreme, but I can understand why.

This is what I imagine the garage will have to do! Nearly 10 years exposed to heat and the elements has clearly taken its toll, sensor is well and truly stuck in place.

StuC

Did you take the bumper of in the end?

penn

Quote from: "StuC"Did you take the bumper of in the end?

We didn't, although that was next on the agenda if I had time yesterday but the heavens opened! In all honesty, it's got the point where we'd be spending hours each weekend trying to remove it and may end up with the same result so it's going off to a garage to sort it.

After all, time is money!

StuC

Well, it least you had a go.

The bumper is pretty easy to remove, if you did want to have one last stab at it. 'How to' is here.

penn

Quote from: "StuC"Well, it least you had a go.

The bumper is pretty easy to remove, if you did want to have one last stab at it. 'How to' is here.

Thanks Stu, will bear that in mind if the garage quote is ridiculous but we're expecting it to be ~£50.

I'm glad I had a go, I've never had old cars so never needed to do work. As a petrolhead it only seems right that I get stuck in and this MR2 has provided the best opportunity so far and undoubtedly, the opportunities wont end!  s:P :P s:P

penn

All done by VRS in Coventry for the grand total of £66. Thank god that saga is over!  s:) :) s:)

StuC

Good news. Much better than the hundreds from Mr T!!

So then.... onto modding next!!  s:-D :-D s:-D

Tags: