Worth a punt?

Started by tony=m=, November 8, 2013, 13:36

tony=m=

Seen this on flea bay  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-1- ... 969wt_1399 m   I was going to remove the pre cats but this will be around the same price , anyone got one or had one?

and why Sold for off-road / track use only ? because of the decat?
Nothing is impossible when you don't know what you are talking about.

Joesson

From what I have learnt on here the problem with this manifold is that there are no support brackets which are necessary and apparently difficult to add on.
There is also an opinion that the original manifold when decatted is superior to relatively low cost replacements such as this.
There are similarly priced manifolds with support brackets if you like the look of the stainless units. However these are often then wrapped which loses the aesthetics of the stainless.
As for off road or track use only this should not be the case if you maintain the use of the OE catalyser.

OldMan

Quote from: "tony=m="Seen this on flea bay  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-1- ... 969wt_1399 m   I was going to remove the pre cats but this will be around the same price , anyone got one or had one?

and why Sold for off-road / track use only ? because of the decat?
Just gut the OEM manifold http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3507, and be done with it.
This mod is almost free, offers the same performance as aftermarket 'headers, but is reliable.
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Flipside

I have one of these and it's perfectly fine so far without the brackets, gives a nice sound with my cobra.
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

tony=m=

I don't have the tools or room to gut the oem one   s:( :( s:(  i would be willing to pay someone to do it for me, been in 3 garages local to me and got 3 quotes £50 , £120 ,£150 , the £50 one i booked it in to do ,upon arriving he said he was not going to remove the manifold ,he was just going to "try and scrape it out from below" so i made my excuses and ran   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  the other's are around the same price as a new manifold hence my question about the flea bay one.

Quote from: "Flipside"I have one of these and it's perfectly fine so far without the brackets, gives a nice sound with my cobra.

Did you use the gaskets that come with it or get toyota one's? and did the the manifold fit ok with no problems ?

Flipside

I used toyota ones, the one that came with it leaked after a while so I changed them over.

Fit was perfect, no issues.
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

tony=m=

Ok cheers , im going to try and get hold of a original manifold ,my local mechanic said he will fit it for £20 ,but won't do away with the pre-cats on mine , so if i find a original manifold i'll do it myself before letting him fit it.
If not i'll get the flea bay one.

Tags: