Absolutely gutted...

Started by venomizer, November 16, 2013, 14:19

venomizer

After being the proud owner for over a year, my car is kaput.

Wasn't driving fast or carelessly, but the back end went as I was coming down an on-slip to a dual carriageway - spun to the left and went head on into the nearside crash barrier.

Three quarters of the car are flawless, just the front end is completely gone.

andyroo104

That sucks mate, hope you are ok.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Wabbitkilla

Ah bummer what a shame, hope you're ok.
These cars look after you well in an accident, all the best.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

andyhull

Sorry to see this mate, at least your safe n sound. Heard many people go on about back end going at even low speeds but that looks dry conditions   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

AndyM

Sorry to see that  s:( :( s:(  hope you're ok.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Two's Company

Crashed 2's make me feel sick. It looks like it took the impact well and kept you safe.

simers

Gutted for you mate... Hope insurance looks after you well on it...
I no what it's like to lose you're pride a joy as a few others do... At least you're safe and well.... Car can be replaced...
Mind yourself over next few days as I'm speaking from experience after crash 3 weeks ago, it doesn't hit you for a day or 2 so be careful...
Best wishes
Simon
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

angryman

So sorry see that , i am gutted for you.

But ,your safe. thats the main thing .

2003bluecat

Hope everyone is okay, sorry to see that. Take it easy

mrzwei

I feel for you and am glad you're OK.

Looks like an airbag deployed so it was quite a slap. Get the once over from a doctor if you haven't done so already.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Joesson

That is not a good thing to happen.
Glad that you are OK, I wish you the very best of deals from your insurers.

venomizer

To be honest, I don't think I hit it that hard, probably less than 20mph. There's just nothing there so it just crumpled. I'm sure if i'd been at a shallower angle I would've got away with just some bodywork damage.

I really don't want to lose it, but I imagine the cost of repair + buying it back from the insurers will be too much. As a bare minimum I'd need: 2 wings, bumper, bonnet, crash bar, two headlights, two airbags and radiator (there's probably more damage behind that I haven't been able to investigate). What do you think the rough cost of those parts would be?

nathanMR2

Sorry to hear about this. Looks pretty nasty despite the low speed involved.

Talking from experience I very much doubt the insurance company will be repairing that. Especially with the air bag triggered. Personally I would probably take the money from the insurance company and look for another. That's unless you are able to sit and wait for the parts to come up and a decent price and repair yourself.

Just purely out of interest would you mind letting us know what tyres you were running when it happened?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

venomizer

Yeah they've already said on the phone its a write off (mainly cos the airbags went off)

I was running Bridgestones all round - can't remember the type I'm afraid. The rears were worn but probably still had plenty of life in them yet

nathanMR2

I thought as much given the airbags  s:( :( s:(
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

StuC

Gutted for you.  s:-( :-( s:-(

Like Simers said, take it easy over the next few days.

I hope this hasn't turned you off from another one.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

dj2k21

Get that hardtop and fitting kit taken off asap and sell separate! Or buy the car back just for that
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Markb

Glad nobody was hurt.

Treboeth

As said above glad you are okay,

Now what colour are you getting next?

stargazer30

Quote from: "venomizer"Yeah they've already said on the phone its a write off (mainly cos the airbags went off)

I was running Bridgestones all round - can't remember the type I'm afraid. The rears were worn but probably still had plenty of life in them yet

It'll have been the cold temps mate. The temps are now consistently below 10Ds and near freezing early mornings/late evening.  I run bridgestones and by now I'd have my winter tyres on. Since my cars getting sold I haven't changed them. Got caught out twice last week with the rears spinning up due to lost grip, and I've been taking it real easy   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   (I do have a turbo though).
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Richard41

Glad you're ok & sorry about the car   s:( :( s:(  

Twice in the last week I've had the back twitch without pushing it at all, also running Bridgestones (always have) which are worn but still legal, time for some new shoes!

Tags: