Urgent help needed please manifold problem

Started by ty222, November 18, 2013, 17:15

Joesson

It's all been said before but following is from personal experience last April:
I decided to remove the exhaust system completely to decat and fix the heat shield rattle.
First of all squirt/ spray all fixings with Plus Gas or similar, you really can't do this for too long or too much before you start.
I started with the 3 amigos and removed pipework back to the exhaust.
As above, use a 6 sided socket and a breaker bar on the 3 nuts.
If not removing the exhaust pipes/ main cat  then let them hang as they will and prop up with a block of wood/ old box or whatever.
You can then concentrate on the top heat shield and then the manifold to block nuts.
Again a six sided socket is essential.
If you have rounded these nuts then the correct size Irwin nut remover should do the job. I got the the wrong set and the sizes were either side of what was wanted!
Reluctant to spend more on another set that I would likely not use again (I hope)I ground/ filed and cursed the nuts off and damaged 3 studs in the process!
I did try running the engine to heat the fixings but this can be painful and for me was not effective.
When the fixings are removed  you can pull the manifold away from the block, but not before removing the manifold support brackets.
I took the opportunity to clean and refix all the heat shields, (these came up quite well with a wire brush on a mains electric drill) and cure the rattling shield, near the flexible section, with a jubilee clip.

I would not use a naked flame near a car!

The replacement, with new nuts and studs as required and new gaskets is a whole lot easier than the dis-assembly!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Joesson"It's all been said before but following is from personal experience last April:
I decided to remove the exhaust system completely to decat and fix the heat shield rattle.
First of all squirt/ spray all fixings with Plus Gas or similar, you really can't do this for too long or too much before you start.
I started with the 3 amigos and removed pipework back to the exhaust.
As above, use a 6 sided socket and a breaker bar on the 3 nuts.
If not removing the exhaust pipes/ main cat  then let them hang as they will and prop up with a block of wood/ old box or whatever.
You can then concentrate on the top heat shield and then the manifold to block nuts.
Again a six sided socket is essential.
If you have rounded these nuts then the correct size Irwin nut remover should do the job. I got the the wrong set and the sizes were either side of what was wanted!
Reluctant to spend more on another set that I would likely not use again (I hope)I ground/ filed and cursed the nuts off and damaged 3 studs in the process!
I did try running the engine to heat the fixings but this can be painful and for me was not effective.
When the fixings are removed  you can pull the manifold away from the block, but not before removing the manifold support brackets.
I took the opportunity to clean and refix all the heat shields, (these came up quite well with a wire brush on a mains electric drill) and cure the rattling shield, near the flexible section, with a jubilee clip.

I would not use a naked flame near a car!

The replacement, with new nuts and studs as required and new gaskets is a whole lot easier than the dis-assembly!

Thanks for the detailed information. The problem is, I've searched and searched but there are so many references to decat, precat, manifold that trawling through all the threads hasn't yielded the info you've kindly taken the time to type...so thank you !

Joesson

Pleased to be of some help.
One thing I do have is plenty of spare time so ask away!

Anonymous

All done bar one nut which has rounded (a manifold nut) - I'm going to get some Irwin nut removers tomorrow and see how i get on. 3 amigos were surprisingly easy!

Joesson

Almost on the home straight!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Joesson"Almost on the home straight!
indeed, thanks for your help   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Joesson

I used a little Copaslip (high temp anti seize compound) on the threads when installing believing this will make it less of a chore if the nuts need to come off again.
Don't worry about the smell when you start her up and run for the first few times, that is the Plus Gas etc burning off.

Joesson

Sorry!also note:
Tighten the (new) manifold lock nuts progressively from centre and finally to 37Nm/27lbft
Similarly with the 3 Amigos, progressively from centre, finally to 62Nm/46lbf.
Your O2 sensors torque figure is 44Nm/32lbft.
I used copaslip on the sensors thread when I re fitted these, not too much as you don't want the sensors sniffing it!
My NGK sensors came with this or similar pre applied.

Anonymous

What can I say; Irwin nut removers are the best thing since sliced bread! Manifold now off and cat dropped too. Ready for shiney new parts  s:) :) s:)

Thanks for the torque values. Going to order some studs and nuts now.

adeyk9

anyway just a quick question i have a pre gutted standard manifold that someone is giving me.for 50 with delivery ill.put my cat on ebay if its not damaged hopefully. What i needed help with is basically when i remove the original precats do i need to buy 3 manifold nuts? aka 3 amigos and gasket rings anything else ive missed would appreciate your help.

Tags: