Another one bites the dust...

Started by vetch1, January 6, 2014, 18:24

vetch1

...hit a patch of black ice on a dead straight road doing about 50mph - MR2 vs crash barrier? No contest!

Only had it 3 weeks.

I owned my PFL for 18 months without ever pranging it!

nathanMR2

Ouch  s:( :( s:(  sad times. Just shows how well this cars hold up to damage though. Everyone ok?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

vetch1

Just me in the car, walked away with a deepish cut to the back of my head and that's it.

These are tough little cars though, I must've hit that rock solid barrier at 40+mph head on.

Wabbitkilla

Glad the car did its job looking after you, walking away is the best result.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

StuC

Oh my days.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
You have done well to walk from that.
Have you had yourself checked over?

Weird how the bumper beam is there but the bumper isn't.  s:-| :-| s:-|
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Treboeth

As above you walked away these cars look after us well.

Hope you get another with the payout   s:) :) s:)

cptspaulding

Such a sad sight. Glad to hear you're ok though.

Replacing it?
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

s12vea

Bang!! You can replace the car - as long as your ok

On the plus side time for an upgrade
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

mrzwei

Quote from: "StuC"Have you had yourself checked over?

Plus one on that, particularly if the airbag deployed, it's easy to crack stuff!

Absolutely nothing you can do on black ice, bad luck!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

nathanMR2

Quote from: "s12vea"On the plus side time for an upgrade

I know where there is a lovely replacement for sale *shameless plug*  s;) ;) s;)

As a matter of interest what did you split your head on?

vetch1

Ambulance and Police were on the scene, I was checked over by the paramedic and I went to A&E today to have the cut in my head sorted.

Upgrade to what? Not sure if I'll get another '2, they really are a pain in the arse in poor driving conditions. Or maybe I dont have the skills! I did own a PFL for some time without crashing it though. Incidentally, both the traffic cop in his Audi A6 Quattro and the Ambulance almost crashed on the same patch of black ice as they arrived on the scene.

I think that I bumped my head on one of the steel supports in the canvas hood, although the car hit the barrier with such force that wing mirror was flying about the cabin.

onion86

Really sorry for you, but glad you're still in one piece!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

puma2

very sad times with the 2. the main thing is your walked away from that, people and life are more important.

Mike G

Really sad.
Look how little deformation there is from the A pillar back , considering the damage up front
Testimony to a good shell, I would'nt have wanted that hit in an X19
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

tomaky

Bad times buddy :0 you were lucky like me  s:) :) s:)  there is light at the end of the tunnel i hit a wall at approx 35mph due to how well the car built both me and my passenger came out uninjured, cars replaced and ive got a new set of golf clubs to match  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

alboy

Post by Mike G » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:25 am

Really sad.
Look how little deformation there is from the A pillar back , considering the damage up front

Just out of interest, if you look up the history of the X19 you will find that it was the only car that passed the proposed Californian crash test law back in the 70s. These were never enforced because all the other manufactures were able to stop the implementation of the law on cost grounds. Yes you have guessed, I have had four X19s & in fact still own an X19 which I have had from new, it is the only other car ( I have had over 40 including some of the so called prestige makes), apart from the MR2, which has put a smile on my face every time I drive & in my eyes is one of the prettiest cars ever made & no I am not a hairdresser. My only regret, is that I can no longer drive it, as I have problems with my left leg which prevents me driving it, which is why my MR2 is the SMT version. So if anyone out there fancy's a bit of retro fun let me know.

MR TWO

Quote from: "vetch1"Just me in the car, walked away with a deepish cut to the back of my head and that's it.

These are tough little cars though, I must've hit that rock solid barrier at 40+mph head on.

Glad you are OK
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

james_gt3rs

Sorry to hear that. I can't quite work out how you hit the back of your head in a head on crash? Good to know the cars do protect in a crash though.

Mike G

Quote from: "alboy"Post by Mike G » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:25 am

Really sad.

Just out of interest, if you look up the history of the X19 you will find that it was the only car that passed the proposed Californian crash test law back in the 70s. These were never enforced because all the other manufactures were able to stop the implementation of the law on cost grounds. Yes you have guessed, I have had four X19s & in fact still own an X19 which I have had from new, it is the only other car ( I have had over 40 including some of the so called prestige makes), apart from the MR2, which has put a smile on my face every time I drive & in my eyes is one of the prettiest cars ever made & no I am not a hairdresser. My only regret, is that I can no longer drive it, as I have problems with my left leg which prevents me driving it, which is why my MR2 is the SMT version. So if anyone out there fancy's a bit of retro fun let me know.
Oddly the X19 is the one car thats alluded me all these years .........  always wanted one and always will, got pretty damn close to buying a minter  at a classic car show in the summer
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

James and his MR2

Ouch these cars are too low and the crash bar looks like its in super condition... amazing after a front end crash tbh

Glad you are ok

chimpman

Quote from: "alboy"Post by Mike G » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:25 am

Really sad.

I had an X1/9, brilliant little car. Handled like a roller skate. Mine was held together by the paint, the doors were bottomless, door windows dropped into the doors, caught fire in the rain, brakes were shonky, gearbox shot. Other than that it was great! It was that that got me thinking about getting the mr2. The mr2 is an x1/9 put together properly.
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

bigbear007

Hi
So glad your alright, looks a shocker guess the front end when under the barrier crushing the bonnet and wings  
Was this on the M4 near Slough ?
As I got a report from one of the other truck driver at work that; 'he saw a MR2 hit the center reservation just near Slough on Monday 6th Jan at around 11:00 ish (well in the morning anyway), he couldn't stop as he was going the other way'.
Silver 53 Plate SMT, TTE Exhaust, Style Bar, Spoiler, Red Leather, A/C, hardtop.
Quote; "The Bible contains much that is relevant today, like Noah taking 40 days to find a place to park."

vetch1

Thanks for all the kind words  s:) :) s:)  

The accident happened just outside Swansea. And to the poster who suggested that the car slid beneath the barrier (which then caused the damage to the bonnet and so on), that is exactly what happened. There is no doubt that the robust shell of the car saved me, but if I had been travelling at a higher speed, I daresay that the car could/would have slid further under the barrier and potentially caused me more serious injury. That's a risk with such low cars I suppose.

I haven't heard back from the insurance company as yet (accident happened in the early hours of Sunday morning). It will be interesting to see how they value a FL MR2, 1 owner, full history, average miles).

Not sure if I'll get another '2, I have a few cars on the radar, Mazda RX8 being one of them.

nathanMR2

Ive not heard great things about RX8. Theres a member here who had one and would never gain. Drink fuel and oil even more so i hear.

Insurance wise. Id recommend getting some examples of similar cars to yours from autotrader and the likes for when the insurance company call you so you can negotiate the value

vetch1

Nathan, thanks for the info regarding insurance, I will certainly heed your advice.

I am happy to listen to suggestions for my next purchase? I'd like to think the insurance payout would be at least £2.5k. Who knows though.

Regarding the RX8, I'm a long term Alfa Romeo man, oil usage is par for the course with me! And fuel isnt too much of a concern, I only do about 5k miles per year.

Tags: