My Roadster project

Started by Lee H, January 12, 2014, 22:33

chris3boro

Beast, keep the pics coming!

Alex Knight

£240?!

I picked one up for £65 delivered (genuine part) on eBay!

Good work on the engine, looks ace. Kudos.

Lee H

Quote from: "Alex Knight"£240?!

I picked one up for £65 delivered (genuine part) on eBay!

Good work on the engine, looks ace. Kudos.

That's the new price unfortunately. Was just a load of cheap tat with no bleed points on eBay when I was looking for a few months so had to pay full price.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

Lee H

Dropped the crossmember off for welding today, should have it back tomorrow.

So onto a job I've been dreading. Had to remove the metal water bar behind the turbo connected to the hose from hell to bend it to clear the linkage brackets. Was an absolute pain to get back on. All gear stuff now done and selects gears well although it's a nightmare round that side of the engine now.

Fuel lines all connected now plus a couple of water pipes. Plumbed in the AVCR solonoid as well and now onto intake location.

2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

Lee H

Got quite a bit done today.

Heatshielding. Hope its enough.

Chargecooler and strut brace just about fit.

Coolant bottle fitted.

Rear crossmember.

Big daft airfilter.

How I left it.

Anonymous

Wow almost there...getting it done quickly!

Is there much wiring between the ecus to be done?

Lee H

Think I'm having a break from it tomorrow. Exhausted with it all now.

Wiring will be the worst job for sure, hence why I've not even started it yet. Got Paul from Woodsport going over my wiring plans so hopefully he will let me know soon what I'm right and wrong on.

Anonymous

Not surprised that's a fair amount of work. It's getting down pretty quickly though.

Good of him to help  s:) :) s:)

Theburns1

What gear box have you used?

Lee H

Turbo E153 one with LSD.

Theburns1

Would the roadster box bolt on? I guess not but you never know with toyota. What you doing drive shaft wise?

Lee H

Quote from: "Theburns1"Would the roadster box bolt on? I guess not but you never know with toyota. What you doing drive shaft wise?

Probably not, wouldn't do it anyway as they are weak and wouldn't take much abuse. Turbo shafts with Celica ST185 cv joints fit straight in.

Theburns1

Now you have me thinking. Where did you get the conversion brackets from?

Lee H

From this guy. Great service and really quick at responding to questions.

m http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... post294870 m

Theburns1

Them prices for real?

Lee H

Yep, everything is cnc'd and then welded perfectly. Not hacked out with an angle grinder and spattered together with a mig. Get what you pay for I guess.

Could make you own fairly easily like others have in the past but I couldn't be bothered and knew they would never be as strong.

Lee H

Decided a few hours was plenty on the car today.

Painted crossmember and pumped loads of rust preventer into it.

Refitted along with ARB and got the car back on its wheels.

Ride height ok.

Still to do:

Clutch line
Wiring
AVCR
Heater return line and radiator line
Exhaust

Lee H

My mate made this for me to blank the gearbox speedo drive hole as its not used now and leaving the drive in interfered with the crossmember. Had an hour last night so got it fitted along with the clutch line.

Managed to get standard clutch line all connected with a lot of bending and manipulation to direct it away from the downpipe. Need to heat wrap downpipe still and apply more heat reflection to the lower bulkhead as can only just get hand between that and downpipe.

Also fitted my wideband.

Started fitting my AVCR in the centre cubby hole as well but ran out of time.

parker455

Looking good mate! Bet you're eager to get it going?

Lee H

Yeah, list of easy jobs has pretty much gone now, just hard jobs left now.

Hoping to get it on the 1/4 mile at York next month, that's my target.

Lee H

After some quite challenging wiring it runs, I'm absolutely over the moon. Seriously doubted whether I'd be able to get this far on my own.

Only issues left are exhaust system needs joining up (beyond my skills) and need some sort of trigger wheel and crank sensor setup if I want the stock rev counter to work.

parker455

Great achievement Lee! Look forward to see it going!

Anonymous

Does the 3g ecu not have a tach output?

Anonymous

Fantastic - well done! Love seeing home built projects like this

Lee H

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Does the 3g ecu not have a tach output?

Yes but it won't work with the 1ZZ Ecu and clocks. 1ZZ tach picks up off the crank sensor and a 3SGTE doesn't have one.

Tags: