3d printed parts

Started by Mr X, January 14, 2014, 21:44

Mr X

Hi all,
I brought a 3d printer almost a year ago as part of an unrelated project but decided it may be good use for parts for the mr2. Couldn't hurt to try right?
Here's the printer after some upgrades and a lot of toying with:

My main goal was to see if I could make some c-one side style vent covers. After all, these things are SO hard to get hold of.... after some manual point mapping and a lot of tweaking (8 versions were made) I came up with:

basically printed in 2 parts, bonded together using acetone, sanded, painted and screwed to the original cover:

I'm quite pleased with the outcome:

so, I also wanted to make a nice holder for my tablet as I have the obd2 reader always on...

Currently I am working on the centre console. My stereo is a double din sony touch screen. Problem with this was the normal position is not good for touch screen operation. I removed the normal kit and printed a new stereo sides, surround clip and front cover with a little pocket and a space to put my heated seat switch. I am not 100% with the outcome. I want to move the pocket up and re-locate the switch but here is a sneaky peek:

bottom line.... 3d printing is viable and I can do things with this it would take an age to do with fibreglass. strength wise, it's about as good as a normal plastic part. After all, these are made using ABS. would they get smashed with a good kick?? yes! but so would a normal set of vents/pods etc.

Anyway, I hope this adds some fuel to the 3d printing fire and maybe give some others ideas about what could be done!
Mark
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Mr X

as an additional note, metal powder 3d printers using a lazer searing process are available! They just cost £600,000 :/ once these become common and the prince drops, I would love to print a mini supercharged v8  s;) ;) s;)  one can dream right??
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

AndyM

Nice. I'm intrigued by the whole 3D printing thing but haven't had any opportunities to mess about with it. Certainly looks like it could be something that opens up a bit of creativity, I'm thinking interesting gauge pods, etc... for those running turbos.

Interested to see what else you come up with.  s:) :) s:)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Pavett1990

Wow.. Would you be interested in making me a tablet holder? And what would it cost? Would also be interested in the vents too
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

tomaky

Just to add we now have parts in the typhoon that have been 3D printed. But you would get a lot of interest if our willing to produce these, that if it is cost effective to do so  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

shnazzle

Was actually thinking today about getting some keyhole covers for my Leon 3d printed. But then thought that Dev's would prob fit most cars.
...neutiquam erro.

Mr X

That's the whole idea... Rather than buying off the shelf gauge, vents and other bits that anyone can have, you can design something that only you have  s:) :) s:)  

I've wanted to do something with the rear lights since day 1 so that's next on the cards! I just need to finish getting the parts to build a scanner as manually measuring is a ball ache!
I'm thinking LED rings that smooths off and into a spoiler like this:

I do suspect it will take me some time to get it done tho!

I've not really thought about selling them to be honest. The material isn't expensive it's just a time thing.... Mainly printer time, you set the thing off and leave it. 1 side vent takes about 22 hours in total to print. Then bond the sides to the top, sand, undercoat and topcoat. 1 vent done in about 2 days... maybe 2-3 hours max in labour.
That wouldn't be too bad as every one is the same.

As for tablets, if it's not an acer iconia tab a100, it wont fit correctly. It's an enclosed design so not removable without an allen key (to prevent smash and grab monkeys). Power button, power jack channel, speaker holes etc will all be in the wrong position and you wont even be able to turn it on. This would need a redesign of the 3d drawing a modification to the current one would be an evenings work. I think it probably took me the evening every day for at least 2 weeks to get it done from scratch.

That said, once I've finished my scanner, drawings wont take more than an hour or 2 as less "print > test > tweak >reprint > test" is required.

I've seen people make whole replicas of jag body shells using 3d printers as it's cheaper to buy a printer and print it than to spend £**,*** on getting a shell made!

Pavett1990

Ahh mines a 1st get iPad  s:( :( s:(  never mind
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

AndyM

What format are the 3D models in?
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

StuC

Looks like you are doing some of my day job!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr X"That's the whole idea... Rather than buying off the shelf gauge, vents and other bits that anyone can have, you can design something that only you have  s:) :) s:)  

I've wanted to do something with the rear lights since day 1 so that's next on the cards! I just need to finish getting the parts to build a scanner as manually measuring is a ball ache!
I'm thinking LED rings

Got my LED rings   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Mr X

They are STL files Andy, all 3d printers print using this file type.

What do you do StuC? I guess I had a bit of head start. Back in the day I used to use autocad to do designs for machine components I would design and produce.

That's the ticket les! They suit yours much better being post-facelift. I have the old pre-facelift lights. The blockyness is just ew! Doesn't suit the car. Also a spare set to scan/measure up. I'm after replacing the whole unit, making it flush with the bumper with inset custom-able LED rings I have my eye on on ebay! Then make a spoiler so it looks like part of the lights when the engine lid is closed.

brianorme1986

do you think you could make rear bumper inserts on this amazing machine? when i watched jurasic park 3 all of those years ago i thought wow! but to know that they are available to all and prices are coming down, how cool is technology??!!

Mr X

Quote from: "brianorme1986"do you think you could make rear bumper inserts on this amazing machine?
PLA goes soft at about 35c+ that was the first mistake I made as I made a bunch of parts and they all warped! ABS is a good 100c+ before it starts to go soft. So should be fine for the inserts. That is something I wanted to make but my exhaust comes out where the inserts are.... managed to melt my bumper already!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

They really have come a long way in recent year or so. Can build your own for a few hundred £. Just lacks build quality over pre built units.

I had it printing all last night re-doing the part under my stereo. I moved my heated seat button, made the pocket deeper and added a USB port to charge phones as I removed the lighter plug:

Finished part (1st half):

Broken away support:

Acertone+ABS mix treated:

Sanded:

ready to start painting now   s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

Is it sad to be totally amazed by this?
...neutiquam erro.

tomaky

Its mind blowing!
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

brianorme1986

I love this! Keep up the great work! Let me now if you build some bumper inserts and how much as I will be interested. Look forward to seeing your future projects and ideas

tommccrea

Really is fantastic.

Mr X

Thanks guys! Maybe I should think about selling some parts. Might at least make up for some of the money I put into the thing!

Just a little update to the part....

test fit:

1st top coat:

It needs another good sanding and another few more coats. Out of paint now tho! ooops!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

tomaky

Guessing the the main cost is time for you? I like the side vents id love them in 8m6 haha
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Mr X

Quote from: "tomaky"Guessing the the main cost is time for you? I like the side vents id love them in 8m6 haha

My time costs me nothing for me! haha
 The printer however was £1700 plus a new i5 laptop to run it. Then new parts, fans, fireproof resin boards, perspex sheets to make a door+lid and the material I used to print upgrades to make it more reliable. Yes, I used to printer to print parts to upgrade the printer   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I want to change the vent to meet the lip in the wing that runs round the vent hole.... a bit like the normal c-one vent does. Once I'm happy with the design and people are sure about the quality, I will look at producing them. Obviously, if people like this one more, I just print the other one   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

tomaky

Haha i was meaning once your rig was built haha. Aii i dont want ones to lairy something that sits in reasonable snug and subtle, ive got pfl vents which i dont like and as the FL ones are like hens teeth, and ive always seen this is being a Area to change this would definatly be on the cards for me  s:) :) s:)  (waffle over)  s:D :D s:D
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Fin

+1 to that  s:) :) s:)  Even in the same colour!!
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

trickyD

Love those vents!

Would you consider recouping some of that investment while providing an opportunity for others to have such awesome ventage?
(I.e. Sell some)
 s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

tomaky

Look like some interest get it priced up  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Tags: