3d printed parts

Started by Mr X, January 14, 2014, 21:44

Mr X

Hi all, just a little update on this.
I've moved the printer into another room now and it has a new pc controlling it so that's all sorted.
I have a few things I need to do on it first...

I also have a problem with the replacement material shrinking too much while printing. I have no order a different material that should hopefully solve this (my old supplier is out of stock).
Also, I need to do a few items for work but this should be done by the weekend.

In the meantime I will make a few tweaks to the design and re-print a pair hopefully by next weekend.

All being well, I will then take some new high res close up shots next weekend, post them on here and do a print-on order kind of deal.

I will sell them primed and ready for topcoat.

Just note these are screwed inside out to the original vents.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Fin

I would also be very interested in that trim you have done for under the stereo. I have been trying to think of a good spot for a starter button...
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Mr X

Quote from: "Fin"I would also be very interested in that trim you have done for under the stereo. I have been trying to think of a good spot for a starter button...

That part((s) 8 total) not only surrounds the stereo, it also angles it up (see picture, I put in the side pillars). So I'm not sure if it would even fit double din stereos. It might do as it's a double din but it comes in around the cadge so it fits snug around the screen. It's a good way to add buttons, switches etc but it's all has to be drawn up in cad, printed and tested. I had to print each part at least twice to get it right.

I now have the new material and it seems better than the other stuff I had! The printer has been printing the first part of a new side vent for a few hours now, it's looking good!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

I would have started it over the weekend but my rear pads started squealing Friday.... So i got some new pads. As i was putting them in the car I thought i better look at the front... 1mm left   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  So I went and brought some front pads.... Got the front done in 30 mins, took the back ones off, looked at the disks and the rear side was mega F*£ked! Had to go out again and get some disks! Just in time as my MOT is on Thursday!
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

tomaky

Haha well dont need to worry about disc's for a while  s:) :) s:)  whats the new side vent style less or more subtle?  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Mr X

Quote from: "tomaky"Haha well dont need to worry about disc's for a while  s:) :) s:)  whats the new side vent style less or more subtle?  s:) :) s:)
I hope not! Those rear pistons are a pain in the arse to wind!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  It's 2% bigger   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  just enough so it should just about hide the edges of the standard vent.

tomaky

Haha  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tomaky

You think there would be a chance you could make them bigger perhaps putting a curve in the outward facing surface? and maybe smoothing the back edge to make it subtler if that makes sense haha.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

StuC

Sounds like you need an experienced Design Engineer!  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

tomaky

Go on Stu you stunner in blue  s;) ;) s;)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Mr X

Quote from: "tomaky"You think there would be a chance you could make them bigger
already did that  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "tomaky"perhaps putting a curve in the outward facing surface
already did that too buy making an insert piece... half of it is already printed.

Quote from: "tomaky"and maybe smoothing the back edge to make it subtler if that makes sense haha.
It's printing the last part tonight. Once that's done and fitted to the spare vent I have, I will be looking at making the surrounding edge blend around and into the surrounding wing.

tomaky

That edge would improve the edge alot! Im waiting in excitement haha
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Mr X

Just a little update... I've got a new one printed, made some adjustments and have a newer one coming out now. It would have been finished last night but for some reason, the computer went into time out and stopped the print. So I had to start again! Once it's finished I can do some preview pics while I work on the part around the edge.

Sorry it's taking a while but one of them as it stands now is a 17 and half hour print!

Mr X

First of all, sorry for my dirty car!!

For some reason the flash made it green???? anyway, this is not sanded etc so just in it's raw form. I should also be able to do the lid (outside part) in 1 print once I'm happy with it and I now am   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
As you can see in the last 3 pics the inside surface follows the outside curve of the wing now. It now fits around the car a lot better. As it is now, this part is finished. I'll now be working on an outside part that fits in the gap around the edge. I'm not sure how neatly I will be able to fit it in but we will see.....

Mr X

Just to be sure,
The surface of these parts won't look like this once complete.... this is a preview as they will be acetone treated, sanded and undercoated. I don't want to do that to these until the surround is made.

Acetone effectively melts the surface bonding the layers together and makes the part much MUCH stronger. So rather than the surface being made up of 0.25mm layers (as you see in the picture) it makes it smooth. I could up the resolution of the printer by 3 times but it would make it print 3 times slower and after the acetone treatment it wont look any different.

Anonymous

I love the idea so much that I've already been looking at 3d printer prices, but for me visually i think the vents are a little to square for the body. I think something like a 50mm radius might set it off better but that's my 2p worth.

tomaky

Tend to a agree curves are always nice  s;) ;) s;)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Mr X

the largest surface on any given part needs to be flat as thats the base of the print.... and you can't do angles more than 40degs from that. It's just how these printers work. The design needs to bear this in mind. It's ok designing something but you have to take into account of how you produce the thing.

Fin

Any updates on these?
Just a thought (I know less than nothing about these things), would it possible to make the top and bottom at an angle? So that the vent sits almost flush at the back, while leaving the front as it is?

nialllol

Any chance of you making another stereo relocation kit? Cash waiting  s:D :D s:D

Fin

+1 on the stereo surround

Mr X

Sorry guys, these have had to take a bit of a back burner ATM... My clutch went 3 weeks ago so I had to fit a new one. Then my engine went bang last weekend so spent all week stripping it down and I will be rebuilding it over the next week!
Hopefully I will be back on these again once I know the engine is ok and I'm rolling again.

Quote from: "Fin"would it possible to make the top and bottom at an angle? So that the vent sits almost flush at the back, while leaving the front as it is?

Short answer, no. The machine wouldn't be able to print it supportless as the design would have hover hangs of more than 45deg... edge finishing would be horrific, printing time would more than double and it would use much more material.

Quote from: "nialllol"Any chance of you making another stereo relocation kit? Cash waiting
Unless you have the same stereo as me, it won't fit :/ I may be able to change the design if I knew screen dimensions etc. Time for me to do it though and print it is a different matter ATM I'm afraid.... I'm not sure when I would be able to get it done.   s:( :( s:(

Mr X

Just a quick re-visit to this one.... Inbetween doing my second set of LED lights I made an update to my centre console.

Out with the old Acer A100:

in with the new Galaxy Tab S:

Added a duel USB charger in the bottom section:

The reflection on the screen seems very bright in the top picture but it's actually not that bad.

Fin

Holy thread resurrection!!  Did anything ever come of this? Or have I missed the boat (again)?

Tags: