any gains on removing inside wall on std airbox?

Started by Vrooom, January 23, 2014, 12:06

Vrooom

Will there be any gain to made if I removed the inside wall of std air box ?

markiii

what inside wall?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Vrooom

the wall next to intake hole from outside.

StuC

Where exactly? There is no wall shown on the piccy above. Right hand side of the picture is the lower where the outside air comes in.
Might be worth a quick piccy of what you have on your 2.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Vrooom

Yes, but other side of airbox....    There is a plastic  wall right next to intake hole.     I just disassembled my car and took this picture...

StuC

This  what you are thinking of doing?

Looks like there is no gain in performance or induction noise.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Vrooom

Oh yes that what im doing....

markiii

in principle it gives you less restriction to pull air through the filter, so arguably a benefit

the 911 guys do something similar never had experience of it on a roadster though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Cap

I did a test some years ago, about the Air Box and the Smoothing effect the Air Filter does on the MAF reading..

I was under the impression that the Air Horn did all the straightening of the Air that was necessary..  

I was wrong..  the Air filter is nessasary in the Air Box..  so no..  you cant hack it up and get better gains..

Here is the Post where I did the work..  
http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?36084-Are-the-Pontiac-Vibe-1zz-s-different-than-the-MR2-1zz-in-terms-of-head-design-cams&p=618158&viewfull=1#post618158

Cap

Tags: