Headlight Bulb Change - Which bulbs and how?

Started by Pulse, February 8, 2014, 08:10

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pulse

I want to replace the dismal bulbs in my MR2, and I'm after a bit of advice. After a search, I'm getting a good picture, but a guide would be really helpful, as I've not replaced a bulb for a long time!

So I think the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H7 is the bulb I need for sidelights. What do I need for main beam? I have a FL car.

Also, is there a guide on how to fit? I'd need a real dummies guide!
2006 MR2 Roadster
Lagoon Blue | Cream Leather with Blue Stitching | Toyota GB Bodykit | TTE Exhaust | TTE Spoiler | TTE Style Bar | Hard Top | Chrome Interior Trim Kit | widermuller Illuminated Slider | widermuller Hazard Trim

BranM

#1
Main Beam are HB3.

Have a look at his thread for changing them:

 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26882&p=547776&hilit=Headlight+bulbs#p547776 l

ChrisGB

#2
I have just put some Nightbreaker unlimited into another car. I reckon they are the brightest road legal H7 I have ever seen. The dipped beam H7 is on a connector block / mount held in with a wire clip. Remove plug, then rubber shroud, then wire clip, then take bulb off of connector / base. A bit fiddly, but a 5 minute job once you have the knack. The main beam HB3 just unplug and turn to remove. I would go for the Nightbreaker bulbs for the main beam too.

Remember not to touch the glass part of the bulb as grease from fingers can leave residue that causes hot spots on the glass. Nightbreaker bulbs will be less long lived than normal bulbs, but the light output is worth it.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

s12vea

#3
I need to change my headlight bulbs - facelift and the websites list a H4 not a H7? From reading the above I take it H7 is correct?
** FL Sable Grey **
** Ex TTE Turbos **
Another one won't hurt  .....

Mike G

#4
Quote from: "s12vea"I need to change my headlight bulbs - facelift and the websites list a H4 not a H7? From reading the above I take it H7 is correct?
I thought you're 2 had gone for something else mate ?
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

2 of the left

#5
Quote from: "s12vea"I need to change my headlight bulbs - facelift and the websites list a H4 not a H7? From reading the above I take it H7 is correct?
H7 for Facelift  -  H4 for Pfl   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

chimpman

#6
i know why the MR2 was discontinued. BECAUSE CHANGING THE HEADLIGHT BULBS IS A **((*&^$%$!

i hope the designer has been demoted and is now designing ashtrays.

(had to redo one i though id sorted, almost put my back out! but all done properly now)
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

s12vea

#7
Did u remove front bumper?
** FL Sable Grey **
** Ex TTE Turbos **
Another one won't hurt  .....

Kaeo

#8
What? changing the headlight bulbs is easy, aslong as you don't have elephant hands haha  s:) :) s:)

chimpman

#9
the LH one was OK once id mastered the knack, the RH was a bugger. think the wire clip had distorted or become loose so took an age to get it to sit right. i have a hands the size of a chipmunk, got knows how you do it with a hands like bunches of bananas
2005 Chilli Red. Mods.... Pine magic tree

DrWatson

#10
Fitted night breakers the other day after being sick of the candles that were fitted. This guide was really helpful although it turns out having small hands is something I need to invest in!

Bossworld

#11
I found the RH easier to view the clip assembly than the LH (think it was that way around at least).  But I got one of the wire hooks back on by chance rather than by technique.

There's definitely room to get to them and the sidelights without the bumper off - whether the connectors will be stuck firm is another question.

Essex2Visuvesi

#12
Quote from: "ChrisGB"I have just put some Nightbreaker unlimited into another car. I reckon they are the brightest road legal H7 I have ever seen. The dipped beam H7 is on a connector block / mount held in with a wire clip. Remove plug, then rubber shroud, then wire clip, then take bulb off of connector / base. A bit fiddly, but a 5 minute job once you have the knack. The main beam HB3 just unplug and turn to remove. I would go for the Nightbreaker bulbs for the main beam too.

Remember not to touch the glass part of the bulb as grease from fingers can leave residue that causes hot spots on the glass. Nightbreaker bulbs will be less long lived than normal bulbs, but the light output is worth it.

Agreed. Put these in my daily (MG ZR) and the difference in night & day (pun intended)

shnazzle

#13
I had a bulb go last Saturday so I prepared myself on Sunday for the long haul.
Being the glutton for punishment I am, I tried do install it without removing the bumper. Much to my surprise, I was back in the house 15 mins later! It worked!
It took a bit fiddling but all of a sudden it popped in.
Happy days.
...neutiquam erro.

The Other Stu

#14
Quote from: "shnazzle"I had a bulb go last Saturday so I prepared myself on Sunday for the long haul.
Being the glutton for punishment I am, I tried do install it without removing the bumper. Much to my surprise, I was back in the house 15 mins later! It worked!
It took a bit fiddling but all of a sudden it popped in.
Happy days.
Gannen then....

How?

I tried. I was making a pigs ear of it. All I managed to do was get the wire unattached.

Craigjm

I want to change the bulbs in my recently acquired FL to Osram nightbreakers. I guess I need a H7 and a HB3 per unit then right?

Gaz mr-s


TheTigerUK

Do Halfords change them as the normal offer when you buy a bulb ?
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

Not perfect and not cheap :)

Carolyn

They might, if you take the plastic frunk surround out before you go there.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0