225.45.17's on the back

Started by Davegtst, February 10, 2014, 22:25

Davegtst

So I picked up my roadster today and found my first problem,  I can't get it over the hump in my drive into my garage.  It has got ride height adjustable shocks but I think it could really do with some bigger wheels.   I have a brand new pair of 225.45.17 bridgestones in the garage without a car to fit them on.  If I got some 17inch wheels would they be any good for the back?   I'm sure I saw a post with a load of owners saying what wheel sizes they had but I've looked and i can't find it again.

D.B.C.

That's way to big, original it's something like 205/50/15, thats about 184cm rotation length and youre tires are 199cm in length. That's an difference of 15cm and the tires will be 5cm higher.
When you're driving with those size of tires you car will say for instance that you're driving 120km ph but in real live you're driving 130km ph.
Blue MR2

Davegtst

I'm not too worried about the speedo to be honest.  I can compensate for that and they aren't that well calibrated anyway.  I really need to know if they will physically fit or is it not worth bothering with.

D.B.C.

As the wheel is 5cm higher, you'e car will be 2.5cm higher. It also depends on the rim size. I think you're going to have a problem with speedbumbs, that you're car will hit the arch every time if it aint already hitting it.
Over here in the Netherlands it will not pass the MOT, because it can not be bigger than 1.5% of the original size.
Blue MR2

Anonymous

Yes that size can fit as its the size i run, bigger wheels will slow it down but knowing the car you got then that would not be a problem, also if the car has been lowered then you will have to raise the height slightly. And your speedo will have read high of the actual speed limit by 1mph.

Davegtst

Do you know what run width and offset your wheels are?

Anonymous

They 7j and think they 45 offset but not 100% on the offset

Davegtst

What tyres are you running on the front.   I'm thinking 205.50.17

onion86

205/40/17 for the front really, pretty sure 205/50 would rub like hell.
225/45 seems a bit big to me, more like 225/35 if you can get them?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Quote from: "Davegtst"What tyres are you running on the front.   I'm thinking 205.50.17

that i would advise not to, that's the size i am on the front and they too tall, to the point i cant run with inner arches. When i got some spare money i will be dropping down to 45 profile.

Davegtst

Quote from: "onion86"205/40/17 for the front really, pretty sure 205/50 would rub like hell.
225/45 seems a bit too wide to me, more like 225/35 if you can get them?

The thing is I have a pair of virtually new 225's in the garage and they won't fit on my civic either so I'd rather use them if I can.  
Thanks for the advice on the fronts.   I'll look at smaller profiles.

Anonymous

Look at the hancook v12. Its what i got and boy do they grip.

Turbotrucker

I put some conti sport contact 2's of this size on my car last month based on this advice:) thanks rbuckingham:)
I had to remove the wind deflectors to actually get them on, but once on and lowered to the floor there was plenty of space:) they are for sale on a set of Rota boost now though;)
2005 Sable grey Red edition,2zz by Rogue,Toyota GB skirts and spats.Markiii pipe+k&n Panel, Rogue manifold, Sports Cat,TTE Exhaust, TTE style bar, S2000 Seats, Mongo's;) Red Mohair Roof, Whiteline ARB's.

Tags: