My Blue 2002 MR2 - Meeerrk's Track car build (LOCKED)

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2014, 22:30

Anonymous

More video clips
[youtube:2bbcw8q6]SNa3hr7-hFs[/youtube:2bbcw8q6]

Anonymous

[youtube:ccw78ou9]u17-oUP41Cg[/youtube:ccw78ou9]

Anonymous

[youtube:323euc4u]gF5ON8ePHXg[/youtube:323euc4u]

Anonymous

Got these little beauties today (thanks again to graham gmt1972)

Awaiting all the new fitting hardware and will fight to get the old ones off. Not a job I'm looking forward to  s:( :( s:(

tommyzoom99

good luck buddy Im In the process of swapping all mine over to albeit for MWR jobbies, what a nightmare, especially those pesky drop links had to remove the shocks and ARB the angle grind them off!

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Have you got any suggestions or advice? I hadn't considered that I may need to take the strut (shock / spring) off to replace these arms! Is that absolutely required?

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Have you got any suggestions or advice? I hadn't considered that I may need to take the strut (shock / spring) off to replace these arms! Is that absolutely required?

hi buddy, you should be ok if your just replacing the arms, I found a lot of the nuts and bolts were difficult to get off but came off in the end,

I had real problems with the drop links (as most do with the 2s) which required me to remove the shocks and ARB and grind them off. if they look ok I wont bother changing them, just on mine the rubbers were gone and the grease had diminished so had to swap them but what a job!

anyway looks you got a nice build going on there, and those arms look ace, I didn't know anyone but MWR(topspeed) made stuff like that for the 2, im in the process to of building a 2 track car aswell  s:) :) s:)  

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Cheers Tommy appreciate your response. My drop links are ok but the nuts have siezed so can't undo them. Made fitting the springs interesting!

I'm planning on buying some BC Coilovers later this year so I'll have to do the drop links then...I really am not looking forward to that job!!

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Cheers Tommy appreciate your response. My drop links are ok but the nuts have siezed so can't undo them. Made fitting the springs interesting!

I'm planning on buying some BC Coilovers later this year so I'll have to do the drop links then...I really am not looking forward to that job!!

BC coilovers are a great choice I ran them on a GTR I used to have very impressed with them in build quality and performance, much preferred them to the tein jobbies I had before,

yeah not a great job buddy, I had to jam a alum key into the end of the threaded shaft of the drop link (as it had corroded from a alum key shaped hole to a rust filled mess) to stop it spinning then spanner the nuts off a few turns (which required super human strength I might add  s:) :) s:)  in order to grind them off.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

Last video, chasing a caterham race car. Wish I had a bit more power!...
[youtube:1vyepzpr]si7brIkS-QU[/youtube:1vyepzpr]

steve b

Replacing arms etc keep on mind that I think the nuts on some are notched / has dimples and it's the bolt you need to undo.  Glad you are having fun, I almost feel like abandoning the car this year after the custom cages saga.  Now I have it I am booked up until august regards time to fit it  s:-( :-( s:-(
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Anonymous

Steve that would be a real shame, is there anywhere you could take it to finish off the cage?

Anonymous

Two steps forward, one step back!

Drove the car today first time since brands and exhaust was blowing really bad. Thought it was the manifold, so started stripping it all down. Then I realised it was the flexi on my ( what appears to be) cheap decat pipe. Upon further inspection, it's completely ruined!

So manifold removed, cat pipe removed and I won't bother putting it back on until I've replaced the rear arms, And also replacement crossmember while I'm under there.

Need to get it ready for Blyton next month!

Oh the joys  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Got a replacement crossmember today, it's been repaired but is better Than the one on my car.

Started rubbing it down with wire brush and flapper wheel,

And started giving it a lick of hammerite

Plan on fitting it and the adjustable arms next weekend  s:D :D s:D

tomaky

I rubbed mine down and waxoyled, wonder if putting hammerite on to would work or be worth it, its doing pretty well with the waxoyl.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Anonymous

I know what you mean, but the hammerite is really just to tart it up a bit and offers a small bit of protection. It will be waxoyled inside before I fit it!

Also I rubbed a lot of the paint off so thought I'd give it a coat to replace what I removed.

Finished it off tonight so hoping for a dry day this weekend to get the car out and fit it.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Finished painting and filled with waxoyl (horrible stuff!) the cross member

Anonymous

Also trial fitted my hard race arms as I've heard some people have had problems

Anonymous

Finally I noticed an exhaust system in the marketplace section, exactly what I've been looking for ( and hopefully good for a 2zz in the future)

Pic shamelessly stolen from seller

Hoping to pick it up this weekend and get everything fitted. Fingers crossed for a dry day

Anonymous

Long afternoon, started late (lunch time) because of a late night last night with the football etc.

Stripped the old cross member off; disconnected the arms from the hubs and left them on the old cross member.

All stripped down

Then fitted the new cross member followed by the arms together with all new nuts and bolts

Next up I wrapped my manifold (thanks to hamspeed for the link and vinny for the tip in soaking it) and the mid pipe of my new longlife exhaust

Then fitted it all back onto the car....sounds pretty nice.

Put the car back to together and tucked back in the garage. Just need to get geo set up down now, will be in a couple of weeks  s:) :) s:)

Vietts

Nice work! Them arms looks really well built too.

pistol pete

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"It's pretty slippy at brands when wet...

[youtube:jtnhkytc]EUgM7dZSzgk[/youtube:jtnhkytc]

looking good buddy.. hope you are enjoying it?
helpfull hint

in went at brands graham hill band go on the outside rather than hitting the apex.. A LOT more grip    s:P :P s:P

I found if it was went, find an instructors car, stick behind it to find the wet line..

Anonymous

Really good fun. Just need to get geo done and maybe time for another PM session before Blyton

Thanks for the tip, will try that next time  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Vietts"Nice work! Them arms looks really well built too.

Thanks

The arms seem pretty good, nice and solid. Slapped plenty of copper grease on the threads to aid adjustment etc in the future.

Anonymous

Forgot to mention, not only is the exhaust a lot more free flowing, it's weight advantage is huge. I would estimate the whole system, that's manifold, mid pipe and rear box are 1/3 of the weight of the original manifold, cat and back box, possible even less.

Considering that lot is hanging out behind the rear axle, it should feel a bit better

Tags: