My Blue 2002 MR2 - Meeerrk's Track car build (LOCKED)

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2014, 22:30

MrStev3

s:D :D s:D  had a good read of this
brandshatch look great fun
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

Anonymous

Weekend is here again which means I can spend a few hours on the car.

Plans are;

1) Take it for a track focused geo set up
2) Fit new bleed nipples to calipers (one way self bleeders) and bleed brakes, as still not happy with them.
3) Gearbox fluid change
4) Fit and test gopro
5) drive it and general checks for blyton in a few weeks time  s;) ;) s;)

benedwards64

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour  s:) :) s:)

peppyuk

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Weekend is here again which means I can spend a few hours on the car.

Plans are;

2) Fit new bleed nipples to calipers (one way self bleeders) and bleed brakes, as still not happy with them.
3) Gearbox fluid change
4) Fit and test gopro

I got one of the easy bleed kits if you want to give that a go?
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

Anonymous

Quote from: "peppyuk"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Weekend is here again which means I can spend a few hours on the car.

Plans are;

3) Gearbox fluid change
4) Fit and test gopro

I got one of the easy bleed kits if you want to give that a go?

Thanks, I've got one but the cap on the mr2 master cylinder is a push type one and I never got round to getting another to convert. All the ones that came with the pressure bleeder are screw top.  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Successful day!

Went for the alignment this morning, car felt awful to drive, actually a bit scary, but Merrow Tyres in Farnham sorted it out and were quite impressed with the new bits underneath (in comparison to last time they tried to align it!)

Drive home much better, car has so much grip and zero under steer which is brilliant, can't wait to get some coil overs and have a bit on camber on the front too  s:D :D s:D

Got a set of these speed bleed nipples, mainly because my front nipples (!) were pretty manky and one had begun to round, they also were very stiff and I was worried about breaking one, also the new rear calipers came with 7mm (spanner size ) nipples so to bleed the brakes you needed a whole host of tools!
 m http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5160 ... ed-Nipples m

I also bought some dust covers from eBay to protect them.

All brakes bled ( handbrake pins removed from rear) and they feel much better, interestingly I had to back off the handbrake at the leaver end because it was slightly on after bleeding which suggests I've improved it (the leaver came high again after brands which coincided with the soft pedal)

Changed the gearbox oil, went for a couple of bottles of this from OPIE (next day delivery which was great service)

Not sure when the gear oil was changed last but it was pretty manky! Feels smoother and there was a very slight wine at high rpm in 1st gear, which has now gone.

I used the top speedo plug / blank to fill which was far easier than messing around underneath with tubing etc; in total took me about 30mins so I recommend anyone who hasn't recently, to change theirs too.

Finally, now have forward and rear facing mounts for the gopro and a mount from behind the rear view mirror, looking forward so I'll try some different positions out at Blyton. ... Can't wait  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Driven the car to work a couple of times now - easiest way for me to get non track miles onto it and all seems well so just an oil check and pack it up ready for Blyton next weekend  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Also I've booked the following track days (on top of Blyton 19th July)

Tuesday 12th August - Brandshatch evening with Opentrack

Saturday 20th September - Goodwood Afternoon

Monday 13th October - Cadwell Park with Opentrack.

Might try to squeeze a trip to Lydden Hill too.  s:D :D s:D

peppyuk

You are a busy boy! Have you considered the Toyota Sprint Series?

Do you drive the car to events or trailer?

jaspa

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Also I've booked the following track days (on top of Blyton 19th July)

I'll be at the brands evening offering balast to a friend, If I come and find you, can I pester for a passenger lap or 2  s:) :) s:)

I'm also hoping to be at Abingdon on 29th August too if you're interested, I'll be able to return the favour then although mines mechanically standard at the moment.

Stuart

Anonymous

Quote from: "jaspa"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Also I've booked the following track days (on top of Blyton 19th July)

I'll be at the brands evening offering balast to a friend, If I come and find you, can I pester for a passenger lap or 2  s:) :) s:)

I'm also hoping to be at Abingdon on 29th August too if you're interested, I'll be able to return the favour then although mines mechanically standard at the moment.

Stuart

What car does your friend drive? I'll keep an eye out. Maybe we can grab a garage?

You are welcome to a hot lap or two. My mrs might come along (depends on work and how she gets on at blyton) so I'll be teaching her some of the time too  s:) :) s:)

jaspa

My friend will be in a 400Bhp Exige, there may be an MX5 and a focus with us too but Garage sounds like a plan.

Stuart

Anonymous

Wow sounds like fun! Yeah ok well let me know closer to the tome and we'll try to get a garage. The trick is to get signed on quickly (have forms pre filled out) , get sound test done and go straight to the pits

pistol pete

I spy someone's car in premier inn

peppyuk

How was Blyton?

Anonymous

Quote from: "pistol pete"I spy someone's car in premier inn

Yep, didn't arrive until about 11pm, which considering I left home about 5pm is pretty dire!!

Thanks for coming and saying hello, good to meet you and put a face to a "name" as such. Hope the sprint went well on sunday.   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Anonymous

Quote from: "peppyuk"How was Blyton?

I've been away sailing for a few days, but i'm back now, so i'll process some vids from the go pro and post them up.

Blyton Park was fun, had a very slow journey up (about 6 hours) but it was worth it.... It only took 3.5hrs to get home with a dinner stop too!

Car was great, didn't skip a beat, covered over 600miles in 24 hours (some of which being smashed around the track). Seemed to keep up with some faster cars so I am continued to be impressed by the little MR2. Just needs a BIT more power   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Really want to think about some more suspension upgrades to reduce body roll. I don't know if that is coilovers or ARBs ? Suggestions welcome!

peppyuk

I could be wrong but I think suspension is setup in the order springs/dampers/arbs.

Have a search on the web, suspension configuration is a rather large subject.

Anonymous

I left a couple of short videos processing on my work laptop overnight, here are a couple of pics

Anonymous

Quote from: "peppyuk"I could be wrong but I think suspension is setup in the order springs/dampers/arbs.

Have a search on the web, suspension configuration is a rather large subject.

Thanks, I don't really want to get too deep into technicalities because I know there is a lot to it, I was thinking more of recommendations for the mr2, tried and tested  s:D :D s:D  

I guess some coil overs (BC) is what I need

Anonymous

A quick video, a couple of fairly quick laps

[youtube:geyiywoe]Gt_O_VbtQAQ[/youtube:geyiywoe]

Anonymous

Here I was trying to catch a white GT86 Turbo, probably not being driven particularly hard I must admit, but I was thrashing the little roadster!

[youtube:2ady72o6]4tK-no6Y8a0[/youtube:2ady72o6]

Anonymous

I've ordered a pair of new seats  s:D :D s:D  

So my forzas will be for sale soon (cheap!)

Alex Knight

Nicely driven chap, very smooth.

Anonymous

Quote from: "peppyuk"You are a busy boy! Have you considered the Toyota Sprint Series?

Do you drive the car to events or trailer?

Sorry, missed this!

I have considered it, but the MR2 would need a full cage, so its quite a cost to start up.

I drive the car to all the events. I looked at buying a trailer and fitting a tow bar on my car, but at the moment I've got a little 118d as a run around, which has a towing capacity of 1200kg. A good trailer at ~300kg coupled with the MR2 at ~900KG will be right on the limit (not to mention the 118d could barely pull the skin off a rice pudding) so I would ideally need to replace my little run around with something else....which then becomes very expensive given that I have my eye on an xdrive 420d or similar in the near future  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  !

Tags: