My Blue 2002 MR2 - Meeerrk's Track car build (LOCKED)

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2014, 22:30

Anonymous

Quote from: "vinp182"I'll have a look for those bolts tomorrow dude.. I took the seats out a while ago though

I'm thinking of trying one of these as I don't really want the expense of a go pro either
 m http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/351051192277?na ... ING_ACTIVE m

Thanks that'd be great. God knows what I've done with them but it was months ago when I took all the seats out  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Quote from: "steve b"I got a dog cam from lotus on track £150 works well.

Steve is the sound ok with that? Where/ how did you mount it?

The problem I have is the camera I bought is a good picture but sound seems to suffer from vibration transmitted via the mount to the camera.

Tried it mounted on the rear view mirror and on the harness bar (utilising the soft top catch mount point) but same issue both times. Really disappointing!

A work colleague is going to lend me his go pro to try and I'll see if I think it's worth the money

steve b

I mounted it to the harness bar with a rubber mount LOT supplied, it comes with 2 different end caps one with holes other without, you can also control sensitivity of the mic so bit of playing round should be able to get it spot on.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Anonymous

1st track day in the MR2 .... Tick!

Good time was had at brandshatch, I learnt a lot but also have some questions.

The car was amazing actually; I thought I would really struggle with pace (engine wise) but actually it wasn't all that bad. Still going ahead with the 2zz over the winter, but not as desperate as I thought I would be.

We had a big downpour half way through the track time and the MR2 felt as though it was on ice. Not sure if I need to adjust tyre pressures or what but I really struggled. Resulting in a spin and trip across the grass once :/

It may be also wheel alignment ; I took it to be adjusted but they couldn't free up the rear adjusters on the subframe; anyone have any helpful hints?

I will post some pictures when they become available and videos from the gopro (which was excellent by the way) when I've edited them.

Had some Porsche drivers and a few others come and mention how quick the mr2 was, genuinely surprised and impressed.

Pics and vids to follow  s:D :D s:D

tomaky

If you can get tue size and length i might be able to get some stainless ones from work.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

GarethB

Looking forward to the pics   s8) 8) s8)  

Would be interested in joining you if you do a similar session at brands again   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I think I will do another, good value well organised...plus free drinks and doughnuts  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "tomaky"If you can get tue size and length i might be able to get some stainless ones from work.

Sorry I don't understand! Please can you elaborate ?

Anonymous

Some pictures from opentrack's Flickr site;

TiM3

That is a VERY nice looking track car, the wheels really help set it off too! How do you find the whiteline ARB's by the way?
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

TiM3

Doh! Just noticed they are on your to do list!
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

Anonymous

Yeah as you say I haven't fitted any yet, hoping to get some this year but I will need to cut the drop links off so its not a job I'm looking forward to!

Anonymous

First video

[youtube:3ix9hdvz]7-TqEEF8LHw[/youtube:3ix9hdvz]

Anonymous

It's pretty slippy at brands when wet...

[youtube:dba2vqaz]EUgM7dZSzgk[/youtube:dba2vqaz]

Joesson

You found a good spot to look at the scenery!

steve b

All good learning when it's slippy like that.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

hamspeed

Looked like a great session, in those sorts of muggy/ wet condiitons it can get very slippy on line! Whats next for the car?
02' Toyota MR2 Roadster Race Car -
Owner @ GarageFiftyNine - Supplier of Automotive parts and accessories | Stainless Steel Manifolds | LED/DRL Fo

Anonymous

It was good fun I must admit!

Next up is adjustable rear arms and a nice track focused alignment.

Wasn't planning on it, but my rear adjuster bolts are seized so taking the opportunity to upgrade!

Anonymous

Arms ordered thanks to Graham (GMT1972) once again!

Also ordered all new nuts and bolts at an eye watering £105 (for a bunch of bolts) but want to make my life as easy as possible when fitting. Ideally get someone else to do it but matt hasn't replied and there aren't any local garages I know / trust to do it.

aiming to have it done for Blyton track day in July, and hopefully have a day / evening in June to try it all out first

Alex Knight

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"We had a big downpour half way through the track time and the MR2 felt as though it was on ice. Not sure if I need to adjust tyre pressures or what but I really struggled. Resulting in a spin and trip across the grass once :/

I had exactly the same problem mate, and for me it was (not) getting the heat into the tyres. I lowered the rear pressures to 10psi in the end, and despite much slipping and sliding the tyres were still stone cold. I had very little lateral or longitudinal rear grip.

A race instructor commented on this, and thought it was my driving, so I let him have a go. Same result. We both concluded that the car has insufficient mass to load the tyres enough.

In the dry however, it was imperious, so I'm leaving the geo as it is.

vinp182

A good way of making the car more stable in pouring rain (on track) is to disconnect the rear ARB

Also set the dampers to their softest setting if you have adjustability
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Anonymous

Quote from: "Alex Knight"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"We had a big downpour half way through the track time and the MR2 felt as though it was on ice. Not sure if I need to adjust tyre pressures or what but I really struggled. Resulting in a spin and trip across the grass once :/

I had exactly the same problem mate, and for me it was (not) getting the heat into the tyres. I lowered the rear pressures to 10psi in the end, and despite much slipping and sliding the tyres were still stone cold. I had very little lateral or longitudinal rear grip.

A race instructor commented on this, and thought it was my driving, so I let him have a go. Same result. We both concluded that the car has insufficient mass to load the tyres enough.

In the dry however, it was imperious, so I'm leaving the geo as it is.

That's actually really interesting thanks for taking the time to explain. I tried messing about with tyre pressures too, no real effect.

As you say, in the dry was mega but it was a huge change when wet.

I'm glad it's not just me.

I know the alignment is out anyway and it needs correcting so I'll get it done regardless.

I'm not sure how to disconnect the rear arb because my drop links are also seized so need cutting off and replacing....

I think when going to Coilovers (later this year I hope) I Will try them without stiffer arbs... As that will only make the problem worse in the wet!

Thanks for the feedback guys  s:) :) s:)

vinp182

If you get whitline ARB's they have 2 or 3 settings but you need to keep the drop link nuts greased
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

shnazzle

woohoo?  s:) :) s:)
Got a bit excited?
Looks like fun!
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Yeah probably, but why not?  s:D :D s:D  this car is only a bit of cheap fun for me so I guess it's having the desired effect

Tags: