Moral query

Started by Wilderman, February 24, 2014, 22:06

Wilderman

Some of you might remember I bought an Mr2 in october last year that turned out to have the dreaded oil burning problem. Thankfully I bought it from a dealer who was willing to take the car back and give me a full refund. I recently noticed that some one local now owns the car. Does any one think I should leave a note on windscreen telling them of the history of the car or just leave well alone? Id hate to be the bearer of bad news but is it better they just knew? Im hoping its been repaired or they were aware of the fault when they bought it.

dj2k21

Personally I would pal. If it saves them a thousand pounds engine change then I'm sure they would want to know
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

simers

I'd be of the same thought as Dj... If you were in that persons shoes would you wanna no about it if your neighbour had already looked at it?? Just put yourself in their shoes... I'd wanna no if it were me...
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Maverikk

You could do it, obviously anonymously, and just have some "suggestions" on the note, "suggesting" they might want to research some of the model's oil issues and "suggesting" they examine their own car's oil situation. I think it might be potentially problematic for you if you put something like "I had this car and I took it back because it's in a right state: check if you don't believe me!".

Treboeth

Agreed with the above particularly Maverikk, point them here  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

cptspaulding

I disagree with Maverikk's suggestion. Leave it anonymous & should the previous garage/seller have just passed it on in its current state, they'll know it was you when the new owner flashes your note when he returns it. Could be messy repercussions if they're not nice people (then again maybe I'm thinking that way cos I'm reading Steig Larsson  s:o :o s:o  )

Leave a note with your number on it & tell them you know a little history on the the car should they want to get in touch. Whether they take you up on your offer is up to them - your conscience is clear   s:) :) s:)
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Mike G

I'm afraid I am of the opposite opinion it seems
Leave we'll alone
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Chipped

I agree, leave well alone.  Questions to ask yourself before doing anything;

What has it got to do with me?
Would they already have done their homework and is it unfair to assume they know nothing about a second hand car that they have bought?
Will telling them just make hem anxious about owning a car like this in the future and ruin their experience? - if they drive it softly then it could well last them.
Am I sticking my nose into business where it's not wanted?

Just because it had a slight oil burning problem, doesn't mean it hasn't been resolved, or that they don't know about it.  With all good intentions, you could be seen as a nosey interfering neighbour.

If you really want to say something, I'd do it in person as a casual chat.

Two's Company

I'm in the leave it well alone camp. I don't know who the dealer was but he knows where you live. Not worth the potential mither.

AndyM

I'd leave well alone too. I see the quandary you have but the deal is between them now.

Caveat emptor.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

carolineasb

I'm in the leave well alone camp too, for all you know it could be a member of staff from the dealership using it to see how bad it is?  And as has been said, they know where you live  s:( :( s:(
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Mightyquin

Tricky one. Maybe a friendly greeting if you saw the driver and ask them about the car - see if they know much about them etc., and if they do I'd not mention it even then. If it was a young driver who'd just bought it with all their savings and didn't seem to know much I'd suggest they check the oil issue etc., while they still have some 'warranty'.

The dealer took the car back OK, they would appear to be genuine, so hopefully if they did sell it on again they had the necessary work done first. They may have just stuck it in auction though and it's found its way to the new owner via another trader, who doesn't know about the oil burning.

Wilderman

Its a tough one, if I tell them it could create a big conflict & even if I do it anonymously the dealer wouldn't have too much trouble working out its me. At the same time I could save some one potentially big bills which im sure theyd be grateful for. I think ill just wait to see if an opportunity presents itself & tell them to watch level without saying I used to own it. On a positive note im still looking out for another, I miss that little car!

Maverikk

Quote from: "Wilderman"Its a tough one, if I tell them it could create a big conflict & even if I do it anonymously the dealer wouldn't have too much trouble working out its me. At the same time I could save some one potentially big bills which I'm sure theyd be grateful for. I think ill just wait to see if an opportunity presents itself & tell them to watch level without saying I used to own it. On a positive note I'm still looking out for another, I miss that little car!

That's basically the approach I was advocating. You wouldn't even need to tell them you were its previous owner, you could even just mention you used to know someone who had oil issues with their car, or something like that. Even if the dealer figured out it was you, it's not like you've broken any laws or anything. I guess it's really not your problem though, and the owner will find out sooner or later he has a potentially iffy car and it'll be his responsibility to take it up with the dealer. It's the dealer that's in the wrong, when all is said and done.

ShieldsOnTour

Maybe attack the problem from a different angle - talk to the dealer. Play the innocent "Oh, I see that you managed to get the car fixed up ..... " blah blah ...
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

Maverikk

I reckon just launch a really low-key campaign: put loads of posters up and leave flyers everywhere accusing the dealership of being corrupt and comparing it to the Third Reich, create a Facebook petition, and so on.

norrie

Why not post the details on here and you never know the new owner might be a member.

Norrie.

Jandaw

OP you're as badly burned as scalded now! If the buyer joins the forum and sees these posts and you never spoke to him!

You can't do right for doing wrong in this instance. I'd just take a chance on a casual meeting and playing it accordingly.

revi001

Quote from: "Jandaw"OP you're as badly burned as scolded now! If the buyer joins the forum and sees these posts and you never spoke to him!

You can't do right for doing wrong in this instance. I'd just take a chance on a casual meeting and playing it accordingly.

+1
Standard as is.

cptspaulding

s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

Arrange the casual meeting!

Get caught in bed with the new owner's wife/partner. As he/she's throwing you out the front door & throwing your shoes after you, make comment on the nice motor. You have one too, etc. It'll blossom from there.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jandaw"OP you're as badly burned as scolded now! If the buyer joins the forum and sees these posts and you never spoke to him!

+1 you can't win now really  s;) ;) s;)

Wilderman

I did actualy check for new members in my area but no one looked like being the owner so i gave up and posted this thread. I know we all like our 2's and to help fellow owners but I draw the line at adultery Cpt Spaulding! lol Even if I never meet the new owner id love to know what happened to the car after the dealer took it back. He certainly didnt try selling it on again localy as I kept an eye on ebay, autotrader etc for a while. Lets just hope it got the engine rebuild it deserved!

StuC

Quote from: "Wilderman"He certainly didnt try selling it on again localy as I kept an eye on ebay, autotrader etc for a while. Lets just hope it got the engine rebuild it deserved!

Adds weight to Caroline's earlier point.

I think you should get points for trying, it that count for anything with you. The thought certainly fits in with the ethic of the club, hopefully that is enough to clear your conscience.  s8) 8) s8)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

OldMan

Leave a note on the windscreen saying:
"I once owned a car like this one.
It burned tremendous amounts of oil.
I suggest you check your oil level often."

And leave it at that: You've done your moral duty.

If the owner later signs on to this forum, he may see this thread and your moral anguish.
Assuming he's a reasonable person, he will likely sympethise with you.
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

jonone

leave a note suggesting they should join mr2 roc where they can gain insight to plus and minus points about our cars
30,000 miles 56 Reg 1E7 crystal silver TF 300 / 089     Yokohamas AD 08 Tyres Re-furbed Alloys in Satin Black, debadged rear Hard Top ON "turbocharged by Matt Performance "

Tags: