Alex's 2ZZ Swapped MR2 Roadster

Started by Alex Knight, September 1, 2013, 08:26

Alex Knight

Some photos:

Even on 'only' AD08RS tyres and Tein SuperStreet suspension, it still picks up an inside front wheel. Goes to show how stiff these chassis' are.

Gaz2405

Looks good on track.

I was surprised how much roll the Elise seemed to have externally.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Chilli Girl

My two favourite cars in the first pic - the A110 - lovely ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Alex Knight

Quote from: Gaz2405 on May  3, 2023, 14:07Looks good on track.

I was surprised how much roll the Elise seemed to have externally.

Thanks. That's a good observation regarding the Elise.

I can say that it didn't feel like that from the passenger seat. It felt like it had more pitch than roll.

It was on Nitrons- FYI.

Gaz2405

If it's the K20 Elise I think it is I've seen it at Blyton before, was there another black one there with it?

About even on the straights, but couldn't keep up once we got into the corners.

Both actually came over to see what set up I was running.

Decent set of guys.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Joesson

Quote from: Chilli Girl on May  3, 2023, 16:00My two favourite cars in the first pic - the A110 - lovely ;D

And in "Sapphire Blue".

Alex Knight

Quote from: Gaz2405 on May  3, 2023, 16:17If it's the K20 Elise I think it is I've seen it at Blyton before, was there another black one there with it?

About even on the straights, but couldn't keep up once we got into the corners.

Both actually came over to see what set up I was running.

Decent set of guys.

Only one there. Guy's name is Rob. Super nice dude, very enthusiastic.

Was quicker than me everywhere, especially the tight turns and back straight.

Alex Knight

To thank my car for (mostly) behaving very well on the last 660 mile round trip and consequent trackday, I've treated it to:

• Wheels off and deep cleaned
• Claybar
• Polish
• Wax
• Roof treated

Comes up minty. I can't believe it has done 125K miles now.

Panels are like glass. The car gets used hard, but I think this goes to show what taking the time to properly look after a car well over the years gets you:

puma2

your effort you put into looking are your 2 is paying well keep up the good work 8)  8)
ps now were are the roads you took the pictures  8)  8)

Alex Knight

@puma2

Thank you!

Here's a link to where I took the pictures:

Drumderg Wind Farm

It's the road that links my village with the legendary A93 Old Military Road.

I've actually gotten my snowboard out round here in the winter also!

Alex Knight

Took the car out up the newly resurfaced A93 today just for the hell of it.

Is this the MR2's best angle?

shnazzle

Quote from: Alex Knight on July  8, 2023, 17:51Took the car out up the newly resurfaced A93 today just for the hell of it.

Pics like these that make me miss my 2
...neutiquam erro.

puma2

:) pictures  like that with my 2 just want to be in that area 8)  8)

did you use to live in Bristol?

Alex Knight

Quote from: puma2 on July  9, 2023, 08:31:) pictures  like that with my 2 just want to be in that area 8)  8)

did you use to live in Bristol?

Yes, we moved to Scotland in 2021.

Lived in Clifton, Bristol before that.

puma2

:) fair paly that was a big move 8)
hopefully its paying off well and your enjoying that area more and work and life balance better for you as well :)

love the area from your pictures and great place to have your 2 out and about to rest after the track work 8)

cptspaulding

Quote from: Alex Knight on July  8, 2023, 17:51Took the car out up the newly resurfaced A93 today just for the hell of it.

Yes, but windows down. Need to go back next week & do it again properly ;)
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

SuperArt

From this angle the front looks quite long.

Reckon you could fit an engine in that space at the front.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Alex Knight

The front scuttle cover had gotten quite dirty and showed witness marks from previous polishing sessions, and it really bugged me when the car was clean:

I set about cleaning under the scuttle cover, and found that the bolts holding the wiper linkages in place were a bit crusty, so I replaced them with some zinc plated bolts.

All refitted and looking much better:

It's the little details that make the difference sometimes.

Chilli Girl

Great job @Alex Knight - looks so much better. ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Alex Knight

Today I fixed something that's been slightly bugging me for literally years.

I've always had a bit of free play at the top of the throttle pedal. About half an inch or so. I had gotten used to it, so I put it on the 'long' list.

Today I fixed that, and it was incredibly easy.

Firstly, the cable slack at the throttle body end was fully maxed out, so I took a look at the pedal end.

There is a rubber sleeve going around the cable at the top of the pedal, along the length of it (circled in red below). Presumably this has been compacted after many years of full throttle use, resulting in slack between the top of the pedal initially moving and then finally taking up the movement.

I removed the pedal from the bracket (dead easy - two 10mm bolts) and added 3 x 1mm washers to the top 10mm bolt (circles below in blue) between the pedal and the bracket.

This has the effect of tilting the top of the pedal inwards towards the interior, thus taking up the slack at the top of the pedal.

Result? Instant engine response from the moment the pedal is depressed, and the idle is still perfect, meaning I haven't added any preload to the cable.

If you have the same issue as me, take the five minutes to fix it and enjoy a significantly more responsive engine at the start of the pedal travel!

Slowpoke

Quote from: Alex Knight on August  1, 2023, 13:00Today I fixed something that's been slightly bugging me for literally years.

I've always had a bit of free play at the top of the throttle pedal. About half an inch or so. I had gotten used to it, so I put it on the 'long' list.

Today I fixed that, and it was incredibly easy.

Firstly, the cable slack at the throttle body end was fully maxed out, so I took a look at the pedal end.

There is a rubber sleeve going around the cable at the top of the pedal, along the length of it (circled in red below). Presumably this has been compacted after many years of full throttle use, resulting in slack between the top of the pedal initially moving and then finally taking up the movement.

I removed the pedal from the bracket (dead easy - two 10mm bolts) and added 3 x 1mm washers to the top 10mm bolt (circles below in blue) between the pedal and the bracket.

This has the effect of tilting the top of the pedal inwards towards the interior, thus taking up the slack at the top of the pedal.

Result? Instant engine response from the moment the pedal is depressed, and the idle is still perfect, meaning I haven't added any preload to the cable.

If you have the same issue as me, take the five minutes to fix it and enjoy a significantly more responsive engine at the start of the pedal travel!

I've just come back from a joyride and, Sir, thank you so much.

As soon as I saw the post I thought, "There is no way..." after having had the same issue since I've owned my MR2.
Well, after a couple of washers as a quick fix, compared to the thousands of pounds I've spent on this car, this is by far one of the best mods I've ever done.  :))

Everything feels so tight now: crispier, quicker shifts, instantaneous rev matches - no guessing games!

Recommended to anyone with pedal play. You're a life saver Alex.
Yours sincerely, sprog with a frog.
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74303.0

Alex Knight

I knew that I couldn't be the only one!

I'm very glad to have helped :)

It's amazing the difference it makes isn't it?

As an aside, I've removed one of the washers, and only have two in there now. I noticed when everything was fully up to temperature, there was juuuuust a little pre-load on the cable, bringing the idle to about 1,200RPM. That's been resolved now.

Slowpoke

Quote from: Alex Knight on August  3, 2023, 22:43I knew that I couldn't be the only one!

I'm very glad to have helped :)

It's amazing the difference it makes isn't it?

As an aside, I've removed one of the washers, and only have two in there now. I noticed when everything was fully up to temperature, there was juuuuust a little pre-load on the cable, bringing the idle to about 1,200RPM. That's been resolved now.

The amount of play in my pedal must have been quite significant then as I've got about 5mm of washerage in there and it's right on the money - no preload and instant throttle response.

My right leg is starting to get tired driving it though as there's no more safety net resting your foot on the throttle, especially in this shocking weather!
Yours sincerely, sprog with a frog.
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74303.0

Alex Knight

All fluids changed today.

Gearbox oil: Motul Gear 300 75w-90 Fully Synthetic Racing Transmission & Differential Oil

Brake & Clutch Fluid: Motul RBF 600 Factory Line Fully Synthetic DOT 4 Racing Brake & Clutch Fluid

Engine Oil: Millers Oils Motorsport CFS 10w-50 NT+ Nanodrive Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

And a genuine Toyota oil filter and sump plug washer.

JayPee404

Quote from: Alex Knight on August  1, 2023, 13:00If you have the same issue as me, take the five minutes to fix it and enjoy a significantly more responsive engine at the start of the pedal travel!

Finally got around to doing this. Crazy how easy that was to do and the difference it makes, thanks for the tip. I still have probably 1-2mm of slack but another washer would 100% take it too far so for now it'll do.

Tags: