Jay's MR-S Roadster Project

Started by bluesmoke, March 24, 2014, 22:37

bluesmoke

Quote from: "tomaky"Rolling radius something to bare in mind 40 front 35 back be better.
Yeah definitely something I'm concerned about.

tomaky

But as for widths ive run standard pre fl and 205 front 245 backs ha
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

bluesmoke

245?! Christ!

tomaky

teheheheh  s:) :) s:)  
its absolutlely fantastic!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

bluesmoke

I've read on here that the engine hasn't got any hooks on it to attach the engine crane.

How do others get on with this? Don't want to damage anything.

Anonymous

Lift the car using rear crash bar, remove engine from underneath

tommyzoom99

I got 2 big strops 1 under the engine between the sump and gbox then another 1 round the gbox end and attached to the engine crane we had the car up on axel stands dropped the engine then layed it flat on its front and dragged it out

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Lee H

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Lift the car using rear crash bar, remove engine from underneath

I did similar to this, only had the car on axle stands though as with the rear crossmember off there is loads of space to slide the engine through if you rotate it 90 degrees.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

bluesmoke

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Lift the car using rear crash bar, remove engine from underneath
That's the plan mate, same as doing it on my MK2, I'll need a way to suspend the lump to gently lower it down onto a trolley won't I?

Anonymous

No just support the engine from below-should be ok

bluesmoke

This is where I get confused; how do I support it? The plan I was going with was to lower it down onto a pallet that has castors on it, then lift the car off and wheel it out. Nice and easy.

If I don't go with that plan, how will I actually support it from the bottom but be able to move it when the car is lifted off?

Lee H

I lowered the car down so the engine was able to sit on a block of wood. Unbolted the mounts and lifted the car over the engine. Just dragged it out from underneath, its not heavy.

Fitted the 3SGTE back in as well without using a crane.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

bluesmoke

Ah cool, that sounds like a good idea. How did you avoid crushing the sump etc.? And did you leave the cross member on and take it all out together?

Lee H

Sump will not crush unless you drop the engine. Dragging it does nothing except scrape it.

Tried to get engine past crossmember and it wouldnt go. Already had hubs disconnected to remove shafts so it was just the four bolts to remove the crossmember.

bluesmoke

Great that gives me enough to go on I think. I'll lower it onto my trolley  s:) :) s:)

bluesmoke

Might return the two slings I bought as they are 3m, so will be 1.5m from the crane hook to the end of the sling.

Would this be right or will I be better off with a 2m jobbie? Better to be too long than too short of course...

TiM3

I removed mine recently, used a 1 tonne engine crane and 2m lifting strop, if you want to leave rear crossmember on the car has to come up quite high at the back (I wanted to be able to wheel the car around after engine was out)

Trolley was made from off cut of MDF and some wheels from machine mart. I wheeled the trolley under, took the wheels off the car, lowered it down until engine was just resting on the trolley then pulled the engine mount bolts. The lower the better as it means the car doesn't have to come quite as high.

I then lifted the back of the car and just wheeled the engine out. Did plenty of planning and it went very smoothly. I did it on my own and never actually had to go under the car during the actual lift. The car is at a very steep angle by the time crossmember clears cam cover, but I think it looks scarier than it actually is!

Hope this helps

2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

bluesmoke

That's great, really helpful. Did you have to use anything to make the engine sit up ok on the trolley?

TiM3

Yes I did, I should have made a proper softwood platform, but I cheated and the red trolley jack you can see is under the front engine mount, it just wheeled out with the engine and trolley, not pretty but it worked!
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

bluesmoke

Ha, nice. Did you cut the exhaust rubbers off or did you manage to remove them intact?

krazysteve

The last one i did i used an old rug with the engine packed on timber and dragged it out.

RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

bluesmoke

Well I haven't had much time to get on with this project recently. I managed to sort the handbrake lever having too much travel last weekend and I have made a start on stripping down the back end of the blue car for the engine and box to come out today.

I found a nice little treat in the car's airbox  s:) :) s:)  

I'm not getting near this again until probably Weds evening. I'm formulating my plan of attack and I think that I will unbolt the bars from the hub to the crossmember at the hub end and then get the crossmember removed before the engine comes out. Can I safely remove the crossmember before I'm ready to drop it? I figure it should sit fine on its mounts?

A few pics:

bluesmoke

Nice!

Anonymous

Can you get away with not using the engine crane?

Lee H

Quote from: "London2"Can you get away with not using the engine crane?

I didn't use an engine crane on my engine conversion.

Tags: