Windscreen

Started by nimrod, April 7, 2014, 10:31

nimrod

Driving to work on Friday and my windscreen was hit with a stone, it caused a chip about 5p size, and about 40mm away from the driver side pillar, Autoglass came out and said the chip was to large to repair, I am having a replacement screen on Saturday, Is there anything I should check for when they do it, obviously the bodywork, they said they will fit the rearview mirror, I am asking as this is my first replacement windscreen, with thirty odd years of driving I guess I have been lucky.

Wabbitkilla

They're usually pretty good to be honest, they take care of everything.
The only issues i've heard of is fitting pre-facelift screens to facelift cars and vice-versa, not because they don't fit but because the mirror fitting is different.
So make sure they know the yearof the car and all should be plain sailing   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dcod

Do you have any unknown leaks into your car around the footwell? Some people have found it's the windscreen seal and water drips in behind the dash. You may want to look at the seal while the windscreen is off.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

nimrod

Quote from: "dcod"Do you have any unknown leaks into your car around the footwell? Some people have found it's the windscreen seal and water drips in behind the dash. You may want to look at the seal while the windscreen is off.
All ok I think, will check later to make sure, thanks for the advise.

tomaky

I had mine done last wednesday the only thing noted was as it wasnt a toyota screen (or who ever originally made the screens for toyota) apparently at the bottom it wasnt as long as it shuld have been (not sure how short it was) but he apparently filled the gap with silicone thus far it has been fine.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

nimrod

Quote from: "tomaky"I had mine done last wednesday the only thing noted was as it wasnt a toyota screen (or who ever originally made the screens for toyota) apparently at the bottom it wasnt as long as it should have been (not sure how short it was) but he apparently filled the gap with silicone thus far it has been fine.

Sounds a liitle bit bodgy, I guess as long as it does not show, and works it should be ok, does it still have the black glass below the wiper blades? I am disappointed that I will loose the Made In Japan on my windscreen, seems to be a popular pastime at the moment, breaking or chipping windscreens, I guess if it had hit the bodywork it could have been more expensive

tomaky

golf ball size stone hit mine at approx cumulative speed off 90 i was comnig of dual carridge way saw the stone bouncing no time to react chipped bonnet then hit screen, shat myself!

Aii the bonding is hidden under the plastic panel at the bottom of the wind screen, it has a black lining almost around the entire screen ill check the bottom as i finish work.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

nimrod

Crikey! Not surprised you shat yourself, Did not see my stone, but made a loud bang, yours must have been worse.

Mike G

Quote from: "nimrod"
Quote from: "tomaky"I had mine done last wednesday the only thing noted was as it wasnt a toyota screen (or who ever originally made the screens for toyota) apparently at the bottom it wasnt as long as it should have been (not sure how short it was) but he apparently filled the gap with silicone thus far it has been fine.

Sounds a liitle bit bodgy, I guess as long as it does not show, and works it should be ok, does it still have the black glass below the wiper blades? I am disappointed that I will loose the Made In Japan on my windscreen, seems to be a popular pastime at the moment, breaking or chipping windscreens, I guess if it had hit the bodywork it could have been more expensive

I like that sticker !!  try removing it before the fit with a new stanley blade carefully worked under it at an angle, or failing that , it would'nt be difficult to get a replica made/
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

cabbydave

If the seal isn't correct complain new seals are £70 from Toyota and your screen insurance covers that. Kick off with your insurance as your car isn't like it was if they have bodged so screen sealer in as it degrades with uv light that's why screens have the black band round the edge.

tomaky

The black band is there at the bottom and goes right down to where the oem plastic protecting some of the bottom of the glass is it appears fine to me but i guess i wouldn't see anything unless the plastic was removed, im not sure how that is secured it appears to be stuck down.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

nimrod

Will let you know how the windscreen replacement went, after Saturday.

nimrod

Autoglass came today, he said do you want it repaired? I had been told by them it was to large, he did say it would show, so I went for the replacement, pleased I did, he did a good job, also managed to save the Made in Japan sticker, driving down to Yeovil tomorrow, hope I manage to see a mk3.  s:D :D s:D

Tags: