not happy

Started by tony=m=, April 7, 2014, 18:24

tony=m=

I got a back box fitted today from my local garage , all went fine , picked car up,  got home parked up on drive and noticed

passenger side

drivers side

what im refering to is the big fecking panel gap on the passenger side , never noticed it before so went back to garage raging that they had done it etc , they shown me cctv of the work they did to replace the back box , no way they had done it.

so hheeeeeellllllllp people please   s:D :D s:D   the passenger side has about a inch gap compared to the drivers half inch gap , also the passenger side back light does not sit flush like the drivers side , it's as if the boot lid is twisted or too small or something , because the back quarters and bumper all line up fine.
 i looked back at old pics when i bought the car and the gap is there but does not look as bad as it is now , how i missed it i'll never know , was only polishing it the other day , anyone help with realigning (spell) the panels or lights bootlid whatever it needs to all look normal again ?

no signs of crash damage , but im 1000% sure the muppets at the garage did it, like i said i was polishing it the other day and i would have noticed , i can fit my hand in the gap nearly on the pass side.
Nothing is impossible when you don't know what you are talking about.

Wabbitkilla

Can you show is top and bottom gaps please?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

tony=m=

Hi , 1st and second pic you can get a idea of the gaps , boot is shut btw not open. i can get a full pic if needed of both top and bottom  if you mean the gap all the way round?

Two's Company

Unless they took the engine lid off (and I don't see why they would) then I would be inclined to agree with the garage.  It is held on with 4 bolts from memory if you want to loosen them and try to adjust it.

andyroo104

Have you checked the rubber adjustable feet on the lid itself are level,if one is raised it can cause panel gap in height mainly but looks odd.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Wabbitkilla

Yes there is plenty of adjustment available, 4 bolts and two rubber feet.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

tony=m=

Taken a few more pics and it looks like the bonnet/bootlid is lined up more to the right than central ??

it looks like they have had the boot/bonnet of for some reason ? because i would have deffo noticed the gap when polishing.

tony=m=

The height seems fine , just looks like its been refitted wrong?

AmeR

Open the engine lid and have a look at the hinges in relation to the lid. It may be obvious that the lid has been refitted without being realigned. It's 4 bolts and is an easier job with a second pair of hands (though can be done on your own).

Pavett1990

If you've seen the CCTV of them working on it surely you would have seen them take the boot lid off.. I've had mine for 2 years and only yesterday noticed a scratch that's been on it since new and I'm pretty anal with that lol try adjusting it may be an easy fix
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

cabbydave

Where abouts in Manchester are you?

tony=m=

They only shown me the cctv footage from when they was putting the new back box in, as apparently they  do a full format of the cameras hd or memory every Mon morning , so didn't start recording again until just before back box was on the car , told him i smell bs , but he swore no panels was taken off the car , said he removed nappy , heatsheld and drop back box from under the car ?

Pavett1990

Im sure bumper needs to be removed?

tony=m=

Im just near Ashton  :-) :-) :-)  and yeah i was thinking bumper has to come off ?

Pavett1990

Yeah.. Mine was.. If i remember correctly.. Thinking about it pal.. Does sound fishy

Pavett1990

I lied.. Just lights out

wotugonado

I had to take off bumper to change my exhaust when i did it myself, but my mechanic managed to remove exhaust with bumper left on, to get at the turbo. so it is possible.
iffy the way it doesnt line up though, have they forced it shut with the bonnet stay in the way and bent that hinge ?
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

nimrod

It's hard to find a decent, so called professional, if the boot bonnet has never been removed, you might be able to tell, looking at the heads of the bolts, ie scratched paint, it definately needs to be shifted to the left.

tony=m=

Im going out to have a good look in a few mins , but i tend to agree that the bonnet has been removed or closed with something in the way , causing it to be out of line , bent hinges ? It's peeing me off that i took it to a so called pro and it comes back like this  s:-( :-( s:-(

tony=m=

been out and had a poke around ,

noticed there was no bolt/screw

so fitted one and it pulled the bumper out a tad

still got shocking panel gap on pass side , bonnet/boot looks fine no bent hinges or anything, just not in line
pass side

drivers side

you can see on the last pic how much the boot/bonnet is out???

tony=m=

also the wing on the pass side seems to be bolted in wrong?

drivers side

me being paranoid???

carolineasb

Is this a main dealer or just an independent?

If a main dealer, I think most now take pics of the whole car BEFORE they start work just in case this kind of scenario happens.
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

tomaky

There should be no reason to touch the nut on the wing for exhaust work, id say thats always been missing.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

tony=m=

nah just an independent ,wish id took before pics , not the 1st time iv'e been to the garage in question and they fecked something up,last time they forgot to tighten the wheels nuts after a tyre change   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   tend to agree with the nut that's missing on the wing.
 still baffled as to why the bonnet/boot is so out of line?

StuC

What does the decklid lid shut gap look like at the from edge?
Does it follow the profile of the body?
I am wondering is that is a better reference point to work from. Less likely to have been damaged being further forward in the car and doesn't have any bolt on components (other than the hardtop striker covers).
In some of your original pictures it looks like there might have been a twist introduced. Imagine holding the front corner of the drivers side and twisting the whole lid anti-clockwise.

Close ups of the front corners should highlight this.

URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: