My car isn't fast enough!

Started by fstsven, August 17, 2004, 19:39

fstsven

Earlier this week I was feeling a bit gutted... being comprehensively outdragged by a Golf diesel    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
I was on the motorway, ambling around at 50-ish miles an hour.  Suddenly, traffic opened up and I wanted to shake the VW Golf that had been annoyingly close to my rear bumper for a while; so I downshift to third and floored it.  He was still there.  I took it all the way to the redline, thinking "that 'll do!"  Nope, still there  s:!: :!: s:!:    Slammed it into fourth, floored the accelerator again; STILL hanging in there (over 100mph now).  Until he moved out and WENT PAST  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:x :x s:x      The car wasn't badged and had standard VW 16" wheels and a sports exhaust, I could tell by the black smoke as he tore past that it was a diesel, presumably (and hopefully   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   ) a TDI 150.   Still, it was a bit humiliating, me sitting in me fancy sportscar    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:     s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
And just a few hours ago, I had to dig VERY deep to lose a Nissan Almera (in a, say, 60 to 100 sprint).  
Is it something with my car, or is the MR really not that fast a car  s:?: :?: s:?:  

PS: I KNOW it's not about straight line speed, but I don't like to be outdragged by a diesel...

Cheers
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

Anonymous

Enjoy your car man, everyone will think the 2 is faster then theirs even if it isnt. The fact is it looks cool and is a great fun to drive. you would have beat that slug on a strip even though your car isnt made for 1/4 mile times (mine is 15.06sec BTW  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).
People only seem to want to race on their own turf. his is 30-50 mph in 3rd gear or whatever 50-70mph in 4th  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  . Ours is country roads/0-60mph in 7.5 or less seconds and lots of 20-50mph sprints in second followed by 50-80mph sprints in 3rd.   s:P :P s:P  

Let the guy think he did well. Out racing a proper sports car on a public highway when you felt safty was an issue. If he wanted to try to beat the 2 on the track he'd need a new car  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I agree though... wish they had a bit more poke for those kind of situations!   s:D :D s:D  

........ just a little bit more!

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

there's lots of options regarding turbos now and they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper! our roadster needs 200bhp PERIOD!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Don't feel bad about the golf, the diesels are notoriously quick. Standard PD130's regularly push out 150bhp without mods, and the PD150's I've seen rolling roaded at 186bhp without mods ! A simple chip/remap for £400 and they're easily pushing 200bhp and a stupid amount of torque (6 speed gearboxes too)
I currently own the petrol variant, a '99 20v 1.8T GTI, with switchable maps, upgraded turbo, full stainless system and high flow cat plus dozens of other goodies that would take all day to list which adds up to a setup capable of developing 240bhp from 265 lbft torque. Now that in a fwd car is fun.
BUT ! it's not all about speed is it, which is why I'm here, and looking at changing to a MR2 Roadster   s8) 8) s8)  
I'd rather look cool going a little slower than look a prat wrapped around a lamp post   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Liz

Welcome along tophuh!    s:) :) s:)   Just two words re considering roadster...DO IT!!

I put the sluggishness at the moment down to the humid weather, get a nice cold morning in the winter and it goes like a rat up a drainpipe, makes it all worth it! The way I see it they may be quick in their diesels etc, but who looks better going along the road and turns the heads...they don't!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "tophuh"240bhp from 265 lbft torque. Now that in a fwd car is fun.

id find that more irratating than fun. those front tyres must be forever scrabbling for grip!

Anonymous

its not as bad as you may think, especially with a quaife LSD   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
needless to say if/when i get the roadster it wont stay standard for long, so remapped or not, golfs wont stand a chance   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

fortunatly mate i havnt been in the same situation i raced my mates TT quatro yestarday and he bailed at 125 blaming the brake fade he gets but i have to say i`d only dropped 5-10 m behind when he bailed...  Still loving my `2

Anonymous

take it it was a TT 180?

Anonymous

Aye   ,to be honest i dont rate it   . i still cant tell which way its spossed to go forward

THEMOSS

Know what you're saying about the '2's performance in a straight line mate, but that's just not what this car's about. It's all about how it goes around corners. I used to drive very fast, but by the time i got the '2 i'd grown up and realized that on today's roads you'll just get points/lose your license.

Let the TT's go mate, i know it's a much more expensive car, but i could have had a TT and got the '2 instead, seriously. Enjoy the twisty bits and the oversteer and the wind in yer hair!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(P.S. - Having said all the above, i wouldn't mind a turbo conversion!!!)
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Tem

Quote from: "fstsven"PS: I KNOW it's not about straight line speed, but I don't like to be outdragged by a diesel...

Then you just need to turbo yours  s;) ;) s;)

Or act cool and don't ever get into straight line racing as you can't even beat most familycars. If you don't show them what you got, but just smile and keep on cruising, you're the winner and they'll keep on wondering  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Asterix

Quote from: "Tem"Or act cool and don't ever get into straight line racing as you can't even beat most familycars. If you don't show them what you got, but just smile and keep on cruising, you're the winner and they'll keep on wondering  s8) 8) s8)

I agree that the MR2 is not very fast if driving 80km/h and the accelerating. But I think it is not too bad if you shift down to second or third to 5k rpm. Leaving it in fourth, fifth or sixth is definitely not the way to go. I usually keep it in third above 4k rpm when driving on the highway.

Not very good for the MPG (or KML).

Marcel

Anonymous

Let the TT's go mate, i know it's a much more expensive car, but i could have had a TT and got the '2 instead, seriously. Enjoy the twisty bits and the oversteer and the wind in yer hair!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Apart from that little bit of boy racer emerging i completely agree m8, with the roof down im more than happy to get a burnt head at 60mph

fstsven

QuoteOr act cool and don't ever get into straight line racing as you can't even beat most familycars. If you don't show them what you got, but just smile and keep on cruising, you're the winner and they'll keep on wondering  

I guess that would be much cheaper than a turbo conversion, wouldn't it?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

Maybe this is whay you want........
 m http://www.meditech.ch/exoticthermoengi ... ete05.html m

Oh!, can take a while to download

SteveJ

Quote from: "Sketch"Maybe this is whay you want........
 m http://www.meditech.ch/exoticthermoengi ... ete05.html m

Oh!, can take a while to download

Not so sure about the reliabilty though - the video seems to end with a bit of a bang. Maybe they should have gutted the pre-cats  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Drive a 1993 1.1l Fiesta Popular for a couple of hundred miles. the MR2 feels like a Ferrari after that  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The '2 is probably faster than 90% of the cars on the road and more agile than 99%, draw favourable comparisons not negative comparisons, its not like your going to sell up and get a McLaren just to have the fastest car on the road  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

aaronjb

Quote from: "vibratingsky"The '2 is probably faster than 90% of the cars on the road

On twisties yeah, but not in a straight line IMHO.. it's only a 6-7s to 60 car, afterall - plenty of modern metal equals or beats that these days.. and in-gear times even moreso..

Quoteits not like your going to sell up and get a McLaren just to have the fastest car on the road  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

If I had the money, in a heartbeat  s;) ;) s;)  (I know, that's not what you meant..  s:D :D s:D )
Or maybe a Ferrari for poseability.. Or a Lambo.. [drifts off into dreamworld]

Ahem. Yes. Anyway..  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: