Keys!

Started by utterclarity, April 22, 2014, 13:55

utterclarity

My new baby only came with one key and I didn't realise how ludicrously expensive a second one would be. I've tried one replacement but it had the wrong innards, so now I know I'm looking for one with grey insides and a transparent battery cover (I've been told this is an ID4C chip). Does anyone know where I might find such a beast? Don't mind having to replace the blade etc. so an old one would be fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

paulfjr

I just bought a spare fob key from Cheap Toyota Parts (contact details on this site). Delivered as promised in two weeks. Key fitted perfectly. Followed key programming instructions and key now working perfectly. For a quote contact Chris ( e mailto:chris@cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk">chris@cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk e )

utterclarity

Managed to get a second hand one off flea bay, swapped bits into my broken key, programmed using the instructions here then swapped into my non-broken fob. Now have one fully functioning key and one semi-functioning back-up. Got to get the new blades (£3 each from flea bay) cut. But  a result for £38. Just need to get the semi-functioning fob fixed and I can stop praying I don't bend my key (again).

Mike G

I'd quite like to get the valet key to make the set of 3 as mines missing.........  but I just can't see when It would ever get used
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Tomo70

Just bought a key with the programmable fob from a company in Leyland for £35 . Will get it cut on Saturday then programme it.

Will post up details if it works !   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

utterclarity

@Tomo70 I think I tried the same one (from here  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251308367608? ... 1497.l2649 m ?) but its internals were different, there are two different versions (one grey, one black) and you can't tell without opening up the fob (the one from TopFobs is black). On the plus side TobFobs happily refunded me even though I'd had the blade cut. So top marks for customer service even if disappointing that it didn't work. Hope you have better luck.

Suzz381

Tomorrow, how did you get on? I'm in the same position as you. Bought my mr2 in fe band it only came with one key.
I got a quote from timpsons for £140 to provide a duplicate key fob.
Didn't realise it was possible to programme it myself. Is this something that's easy to do? If so I may follow suit  :-) :-) :-)
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

utterclarity

Programming is easy, as long as you have the correct fob. There is a guide here  l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23563 l , I had to do the immobiliser first, then the alarm and central locking.

Suzz381

Quote from: "paulfjr"I just bought a spare fob key from Cheap Toyota Parts (contact details on this site). Delivered as promised in two weeks. Key fitted perfectly. Followed key programming instructions and key now working perfectly. For a quote contact Chris ( e mailto:chris@cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk">chris@cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk e )
Paul, was it about £120?
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

paulfjr

Suzz, if you ask Chris nicely he will sell it to you for £114, which is what he kindly did for me

Tomo70

Got the key cut but won't programme   s:( :( s:( . Has the black internals.In discussion with top fobs hopefully they will take the transponder back. Don't mind paying for the key. Handy as a spare.

Suzz381

That's a shame tomo, think I'm going to bite the bullet and order from toyota parts. More than I'd hope to pay but looks like the easiest/cheapest/least hassle option I can find. Thanks Paul  :-) :-) :-)
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Tomo70

Also going to them you will probably get a better quality plastic on the key. The one on the internet are not brilliant.

I have to say though the quality of the service at Topfobs has been very good. If he had got the correct transponder it would have come in at less than £60.00.

Local toyota garage want £142.00 including programming and VAT. Yet toyota dealer in Cornwall quote me £93.00 all in looks like a five hour drive to Cornwall.

Markb

As long as the inners were grey with the clear battery cover would it work with a facelift 2?........even if it was from another model,Corolla etc.

utterclarity

Really don't know Mark, mines a PFL and I took a punt with the second-hand one on the basis I could resell it if it didn't work. Have you looked at the innards in your existing master key?

Markb

Quote from: "utterclarity"Really don't know Mark, mines a PFL and I took a punt with the second-hand one on the basis I could resell it if it didn't work. Have you looked at the innards in your existing master key?

Yeah mines grey with the clear cover......149A stamped on the grey part,there was one one finished on ebay last night,grey inner with a new blank,went for £27.

I'll probably bite the bullet and get one from CTP in the near future.

Tags: