Nearly there..but I need some advice

Started by Anonymous, July 18, 2003, 15:56

Anonymous

I've been saving for a new MR2 for what seems like ages. Ideally I'd like one with a hard top. My maximumm limit is 18k. Do you think I'd get a brand new one, with metallic paint (probably sable) AND hard top for this amount?

I'll obviously go in at the end of a month (probably Aug/Sept) so that it's also the end of the quarter.

I know that dealers give the 5% off but I'd also heard that the 5% is the discount from Toyota and that their is an extra 7% commission that they can play with if they're desparate??

Anonymous

I think you wont have too much trouble getting one for that! And remember to get your freebees like mats etc too!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Easyily...dont be too eager though, make em work for your money!

And welcome to the club!

Anonymous

If I was you, I'd try and push for as much as you can get.

1) Get the mats thrown in. It SHOULD be a given, but sometimes not
2) Hard top will add about £1500 to the list price, but it's also negotiable.
3) Don't be conned or fobbed off with free servicng. A service for the MR2 only costs about £80 (without wipers & parts)
4) See if you can get the TTE coils thrown it. They lower the car and make it look a lot nicer. Most dealers WON'T give in to a free exhast upgrade!

Don't be afraid to walk out and come back if they're not ready to offer you the deal you want. And the 'good cop, bad cop' routine works well too. I took my wife with me, and she played the cynic. Everytime the dealer said 'It's come with 1000 quid of stereo equipment' she would say 'But it sounds dire. Can't you remove it and take £1000 off the price?'. Worked a treat  :-) :-) :-)

Good luck!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ender"'It's come with 1000 quid of stereo equipment'

You're having me on?  

My last motor had a Sony Mindisc headunit and top of the line MP3 CD changer.  Granted nothing like Buster's kit ("I'm not worthy"), but still well sub-£1000, in fact, about half the price.

Jeeze, salesmen   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

darrenjuggins

You may also want to try a broker or alternately the car supermarkets such as Motorpoint or Trade Sales.

I purchased my MR2 back in 2000 just after them came out, walked away with a Silver MR2, Handtop, Air con for £17k + £500 for an alarm, I think that was roughly about a £3k saving over what the dealer could get close too !

Dealers may be a little more eager to deal now though 3 year on.

Agree with cost of servicing, normally costs me between 120 / 130 plus mobil 1 which i supply myself.

(cover 45k now, so thats all the bigs ones covered as well)

Sable colour is excellent, didn't know they did it until I saw one following me, that would be my next choice now after my silver one, very nice.

Hoope you find a deal that suits you.

good luck

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

I was interested in whether I could get the hard top for my total price as it's quoted as £2,400 in the brochure which means that I'll be asking for a saving of about 9% when I've factored-in metallic paint etc.

Is this do'able?

Anonymous

Give it a go! They can only say no.... they you can try another couple of dealers and see what they say.

darrenjuggins

You can only ask as Kris says......

most dealers will have about 5% to 10 % across the cars and are normally driven by volume (talking from experience, my father runs a Land Rover dealership).

they get things for first services, etc, etc, so car nearly give the car away at list as long as they can get you to go back for servicing....

plus the bonus is if they can get you to buy accesssories like, handtop cover, mats, stand... etc, etc.....

so as Kris says have a go and they can only say no, plus check out the brokers who are pretty cut throat.

Good luck

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: