Explaining Mechanics to the Unititiated

Started by utterclarity, April 26, 2014, 10:56

utterclarity

Ok, you can all say I'm mad for buying a car without understanding this but now I'm curious - I have a receipt from a Toyota main dealer which states "Supply and fit short block, strip engine and rebuild as diagnosed" a previous invoice states "Investigate loud ticking noise from engine, seems to be getting louder on acceleration. Carried out diagnostic checks, traced to bottom end knocking, new short block required." so I'm assuming that's what the "as diagnosed" means. The work was all carried out about 25,000 miles ago by the last but one owner.

I'm not sure what the short block is and I'm not sure how this affects the engine condition. I've driven it over 600 miles in the last fortnight and all seems ok, there is no visible drop in oil level and everything seems smooth.

Any (simple) explanations would be appreciated  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

In simples term the engine is new

AndyM

+1

It is basically a bulk replacement of everything below the engine head. It's the usual dealer/manufacturer way of rebuilding an engine quickly and cost-effectively.  s:) :) s:)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

utterclarity

Phew. Landed on my feet with that one   s:D :D s:D

Mike G

Yep, a short engines, usually one with no head or ancillarys, that are presumably salvageable from the out going one
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Tags: