Wobbling all over the road

Started by ShieldsOnTour, May 8, 2014, 14:20

dcod

Quote from: "AndyM"
Quote from: "ShieldsOnTour"Am going to put new rubber on the front next week anyway as they looked pretty cracked and "dried out" (if you see what I mean)

That'll almost definitely be the cause of your troubles if they are that bad.

+1

If they are cracking and turning grey then they've certainly hardened up.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

onion86

Quote from: "ShieldsOnTour"Next week - see if I can get hold of some deflectors and re-fit

Not to want to jump into a sale but I do still have the ones I referred to on the earlier quoted thread  s;) ;) s;)   l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43303#p508957 l . I did just move house though so I'll have to find them!
Quote from: "onion86"No problem, I'll keep them in storage for if anyone needs them in future.

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "ShieldsOnTour"Hmmm - does not look like it ---- what do they look like, anyone got a picture?
Here is a thread talking about it with a pic:  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43303 l
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

ShieldsOnTour

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "ShieldsOnTour"Next week - see if I can get hold of some deflectors and re-fit

Not to want to jump into a sale but I do still have the ones I referred to on the earlier quoted thread  s;) ;) s;) . I did just move house though so I'll have to find them!

Cool. PM me your details if /when you find them!
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

ShieldsOnTour

Another quick update:

Reduced the front pressure by 2 PSI as per my plan above. Made a huge amount of difference to tramlining. Still felt a little wobbly but its no longer in the "Holy cr*p I'm gonna die" and into the "Ekkk, that got my attention" realms.

Going to get some new front boots at the weekend and hopefully will all be sorted  s:) :) s:)
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

dcod

Excellent news   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

rory57

I had a very wandery and jittery MR2, it was the NS front damper. Not leaking just no damping force to speak of.
New front dampers = stable car, even on windy motorways!

lamcote

Hi rory57, how did you know the damper had no damping force, I suspect my dampers are worn out but I don't know how to test them to be sure.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

normanh

Simple test if the shocks are shagged, push it corner down in turn hard if it bounces more than once its shagged, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hard pushes down to get it bouncing. If it does bounce its so clear. Boarderline cases can be a bit difficult so be careful.

Norman

thosb10

When I bought my 02 pfl it had 17in wheels all round with 4 same size tyres, my first spirited run was on the M8 to the wings and wheels show at Hadington and it was using 2 lanes to keep it in a straight line. Cured by putting on a set of staggered face lift wheels, 26 front 34 rear, and at the time I was also running with the small splitter attachments on the front. In this new configuration it was not embarrassed on the recent highland drive, so much that next year's 10th anniversary run is now booked.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Tom
Motor vehicles are just a very large Meccano set.

lamcote

Thanks Norman I will give it a go

ShieldsOnTour

Just got new front tyres fitted as suggested (although the fitting centre was a little confused as to why, given I still had loads of tread). Just been out for a run - what a difference. Not only is the wobbling gone but it no longer tramlines and the ride is far smoother. Massive thanks to everyone for the help.
One of *them* cars....

ayresyboy

Good news. I have ordered centre air deflector thing. I also need to get full set mud flaps. Hopefully then ill be smoother at high speeds
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

StuC

Quote from: "ShieldsOnTour"Just got new front tyres fitted as suggested (although the fitting centre was a little confused as to why, given I still had loads of tread). Just been out for a run - what a difference. Not only is the wobbling gone but it no longer tramlines and the ride is far smoother. Massive thanks to everyone for the help.

Good stuff Tim. Glad to see some love for the car again.  :-) :-) :-)

@Nic & Spit, good shout guys with your diagnosis.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

rory57

lamcote, glad you are making progress.
The bounce test didn't really tell me much, not really bouncy at all. I asked for the dampers to be changed 'cause I couldn't think of anything else. Like night and day the difference.

normanh

Bouncing is a sign they are shagged, no bounce and the corner comes to a prompt rest means they are likely ok .

Norman

lamcote

Rory, did you go for standard replacements (KYB?) Or uprated ones of some sort?

Norman, I can't get any bounce going no matter how hard I push, guess I'd better spend my cash on a gym membership rather than the dampers!

Cheers guys

Tags: