Strange Thing in Engine Compartment

Started by utterclarity, May 16, 2014, 14:45

utterclarity

I found this lying loose in my engine compartment today   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Any ideas on what it is and should I be worried?

Barney Bear

looks like a butchered oil cap but not sure
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

utterclarity

Should have put something in for scale, it's about 15mm diameter and is some kind of metal.

Wabbitkilla

Don't recognise it, could just be a random arrival being flung around the road surface.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Mike G

Whereabouts in the engine compartment ?
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Jay67

My money's on it being a thingy.
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

utterclarity

It was sitting on the crossmember, towards the left looking it the bay.

I am at least reassured that it seems nothing vital!

ShieldsOnTour

Quote from: "Jay67"My money's on it being a thingy.

Nahhh,that's a definite whatchamacallit if ever I saw one.
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

Jay67

Quote from: "ShieldsOnTour"
Quote from: "Jay67"My money's on it being a thingy.

Nahhh,that's a definite whatchamacallit if ever I saw one.
I thought they were more square with oojits on them
Jason

Jay67

Quote from: "utterclarity"It was sitting on the crossmember, towards the left looking it the bay.

I am at least reassured that it seems nothing vital!
If nothing's fallen off or rattling don't worry about it....although I am going to go poke around in the engine bay in a bit and see if I can see what it might be, it's bugging me now, I want to know what it is too!  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

Davegtst

That is part of a broken battery clamp, there should be fingers all the way around it.  That type are usually found on French cars so I'm not sure why it's in your engine bay.  You fit it onto a battery terminal and there is another piece that screws over it and clamps the fingers to the terminal.

StuC

Quote from: "Davegtst"That is part of a broken battery clamp, there should be fingers all the way around it.  That type are usually found on French cars so I'm not sure why it's in your engine bay.  You fit it onto a battery terminal and there is another piece that screws over it and clamps the fingers to the terminal.

Like this?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

utterclarity

That looks like it! Looking closely there are marks where lugs have snapped off. No idea how it got there must've been a careless mechanic or it jumped up from the road!

carolineasb

Are thingy, whatchamacallit and oojits OEM parts?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

ShieldsOnTour

Quote from: "carolineasb"Are thingy, whatchamacallit and oojits OEM parts?

You can order them via CTP on here  s;) ;) s;)
One of *them* cars....
[strike]C-one front end & side skirts, TTE spoiler, TTE rear bumper inserts,  Anthracite post-FL wheels on Toyo T1R. 6-speed box. Cobra Quad exhaust. Red leather. Lowered. TTE style bar.  And lots of shinny ....[/strike]

AckersMR2

Oooo I can see a game coming on "guess the French car part" (other games based on manufacturers are available)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

StuC

You gonna crack out your Cluedo-esque board again Ackers?  s8) 8) s8)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

carolineasb

Actually, if French should the actual part and technical term not be "je ne sais quoi"?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

utterclarity

Had the rear plastics off last weekend and discovered two oil spare oil caps and an upended plastic bottle with the bottom cut off stuffed behind the nearside cluster. I'm wondering if I've got a family of automotive borrowers ensconced in my motor!

Tags: