Side Repeaters

Started by dancarbon, July 19, 2003, 18:02

Anonymous

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"A friend of mine has a 4motion golf, and the repeaters have nice shiny silver bulbs in them..
That's because VW side repeater lenses are completely clear, so you can see the fancy bulb.  The replacement "clear" repeater lenses for the '2 aren't really clear, their opaque, just not orange!

--H--

Jap GT300

Official Toyota replacements for £20.  They plug and play unlike the Fensport ones and they are cheaper.

See my website!

Adam

Anonymous

OK, so I had a look at my old repeaters last night.  Basically there's the bulb, bulb holder (attached to the cable) rubber seal and lens unit.  The lens unit looks like it's two pieces, the lens itself and the bracket at the back.

The lens and bracket appear to be glued together and I couldn't easily get them apart, but I'd expect you could with a knife, and then glue a new lens on.

I'd suspect that you will get a new lens unit from Toyota, ilke you get from Fensport, except minus the rubber seal and bulbs.

HTH

--H--

Anonymous

Cheers for that H!

Ok, so I'll let you know how I get on with my lenses from Toyota.. I would imagine that they would just clip onto the main bulb holder bit as you suggested.. we shall see!

Oh, and cheers Adam!  If the lens swap doesn't work out, then I'll be in touch!   s:D :D s:D  

Tim

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Hardcore"
Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"A friend of mine has a 4motion golf, and the repeaters have nice shiny silver bulbs in them..
That's because VW side repeater lenses are completely clear, so you can see the fancy bulb.  The replacement "clear" repeater lenses for the '2 aren't really clear, their opaque, just not orange!

--H--

IIRC the repeaters on Golfs et al use orange bulbs in a clear lens. The reason they appear silver is because there is a chrome cap which hides the top part of the bulb.

DP

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"IIRC the repeaters on Golfs et al use orange bulbs in a clear lens. The reason they appear silver is because there is a chrome cap which hides the top part of the bulb.

DP
Correct, well remembered!  Now I come to think of it that's exactly what my old Polo had.

--H--

Tem

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"So DP, they're the same as on a new-ish Corolla?

Actually they seem to be the same as in just about any Toyota...at least the new Corolla and Celica have the same. But so has a 1992 Carina...and several other cars, I just haven't popped them all out ::)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Well, I finally picked up the new clear lenses from my local MrT last night.. and fitted them in about 5 minutes - a very easy job.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but my car (lagoon blue) looks soooo much better with clear lenses, I should have done it years ago!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Total cost was £28.04, including amber bulbs from Halfords - which wasn't too painful.. comparable to Fensport I think, if you include their postage.

The clear lens Toyota provide is the whole lens unit, with the grey back bit with the clips to hold it into the wing. You just re-use the rubber from the original part.

If anyone is still putting it off.. do it now! You can just call the parts department about 3 days before your next service, and pick them up then!

Cheers,
Tim.

darrenjuggins

Clear repeater....

just had roof replaced and clear lenses installed on my silver haze 2, they look great, cost about £30 including everything, gonna get them to knock 10 % off though as the buggers forgot...

it really does make a difference, less distracting as you look down the length of the car.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: