1zz, 2zz Engine, What does this mean?

Started by frangipie, June 9, 2014, 12:21

frangipie

Apologies for my ignorance here but I keep seing mentions of 1zz and 2zz engines on here and I don't know what these refer too or the difference between them?

Is my standard 2002 1.8 engine a 1ZZ?

Thanks a lot!!
Black 02 MR2 Roadster
[size=85]PFL,Hard top,Black Leather,AC,Devs Keyhole covers,The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings,Facelift Side Vents,K&N Filter[/size]

cptspaulding

The roadster had no engine options. Every car out the factory had the 1zz engine - 138bhp (IIRC). So yes, your's is the 1.8l 1zz

The 2zz engine is the 190bhp 1.8l engine from the Celica. There are umpteen threads on here discussing engine swaps, possible engine swaps, other engine upgrade/replacement projects.

I suggest you don't look up the other threads if you're happy with your car. Reading those just make you think "oh, I want a) one of those; b)to get that upgrade. Generally leads to a much lighter wallet & hiding expense from your partner wherever possible. Enjoy the ride, whichever way you go  s;) ;) s;)
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

frangipie

Thanks for clarifying that for me  :-) :-) :-)

I'll definately be sticking with my 1zz. I've done some big jobs to my '2 but a complete engine swap out would be way too much for me!
Black 02 MR2 Roadster
[size=85]PFL,Hard top,Black Leather,AC,Devs Keyhole covers,The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings,Facelift Side Vents,K&N Filter[/size]

Tags: