An actual Roll Bar!

Started by Jrichards20, June 11, 2014, 16:55

Jrichards20

Im now tired of searching, I am looking into a Roll bar. The car is my daily, but I am worried about the safety aspect of the MR2 if it rolls over with the roof down. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of stopping you head hitting the floor.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I dont want a full cage for the obvious reasons. I saw some posts about a hard dog bar, but at 1K. Farrrr to much money to ever dream of that.

Is there anything available, that has a bit more of a cheaper price, that doesnt make the car look out of the ordinary to an untrained eye. I dont want anything flaunty, just wondering if there is something OEM looking, like the style bars, but actually have a purpose?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

SteveMK3

There aren't really aren't many other options. I contacted Hard Dog myself recently to ask about direct shipping and it was 525 USD door to door or about £315! What was interesting though was that shipping 2 bars only cost 100 USD more so shared between two buyers you could potentially get one shipped over for about £190. On top of the starting price for the basic bar which is about £360 that would be a total of roughly £550 which if you could fit it yourself too (as I would) I don't think is too bad? Import duties could be the killer though I guess. Steve.

Jrichards20

Yes, import duties could be alot more. I havent heard the best thing about them though, aparently fitting isnt the easiest of jobs.

Thinking out of the box here, the Lotus elises have a standard roll bar (i think) fitted. How difficult would it be to use one of them, I wonder if it would fit.
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

Import duty about £70

Rob988

You're welcome to look at mine and find someone to weld you one up.  It would be very simple to do. Its a half cage which works with the soft top.  I'll get some pictures up when I can.

SteveMK3

Quote from: "Rob988"You're welcome to look at mine and find someone to weld you one up.  It would be very simple to do. Its a half cage which works with the soft top.  I'll get some pictures up when I can.

Thanks Rob that could be an option, would be great to see some pictures.  s:) :) s:)

steve b

You loose the folding ability of the soft top for basically any design that is different to the hard dog.  Cheapest way if you do loose the soft top is a CL2 custom cage but you have to weld and do lots of fabrication / chopping stuff up to get it to fit.

2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Infamous

Does anyone have pics of how the harddog is fixed in place and maybe measurements of it as well?
I'm thinking of making up my own version.

mr-ed_smt

There's a thread on spyderchat called "club harddog" (I think??) that has loads and loads of pictures of peoples harddog bars before install, during and after. Should be quite useful.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Jrichards20

Rob988 any luck with those pictures?  s:D :D s:D  

I havent heard great things about harddog, or is that just me? Im off now to have a look for that on spyderchat!

EDIT: WOW! They do look good! If done correctly, they dont look too out fo the ordinary. Still loose the rear bins and drilling ALOT of holes. I think I am lokoing at a pipe dream at one that doesnt really effect anything but some holes at the bottom. I dont think the harddog it suitable for me just quite yet.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Street Triple 765 RS

Rob988

Just got it back from being powder coated so will take some pictures tonight. FYI it would be easy and relatively cheap (in comparison to shipping from the states) to recreate. Probably shouldn't disclose it at the moment but it's being looked into  by a well known mechanic to the forum!

mr-ed_smt

Quote from: "Rob988"Probably shouldn't disclose it at the moment but it's being looked into  by a well known mechanic to the forum!

Go on...!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Rob988

Well heres the item in question.  Just back from being powder coated.  It works with the existing soft top.  Technically you lose the bins but i'm going to try and cut the bottom section of the bins to fit.  All I can really say about reproducing it is if theres a market for them and people are interested, its very likely to happen.  

mr-ed_smt

Very interesting. If it compares favourably in terms of cost and quality to the proven Harddog bar, is think there would definitely be a market. I'd certainly be interested!

I note there's no bracket for the hood latch - is this something that could be worked into the design to make it more "complete"?

Rob988

Currently it keeps the bar for the hood. The additional bar I had added as it's at a better angle and obviously much stronger for my harnesses.  I think the angles for the hood bar would be a pain to incorporate. This way it sits infront of all the plastics around the bar and looks as OEM as a big metal hoop can look...

mr-ed_smt

Does the retained hood bar not foul the harnesses when fitted?

Rob988

No, it sits just forward of it.

mr-ed_smt

Really looking forward to seeing pictures of it fitted. I guess it's a bit soon to say, but do you have a rough idea as to what this would cost?

Rob988

Can't help with that unfortunately as it wont be coming from me, its just going to be based on mine assuming all goes well once fitted.  I've placed it in without the bolts in place and it looks great and all works fine, surprisingly you cant even see it in the rear view mirror when its in which situ is nice.  Like I said, its still only a possibility at the moment as its solely going to be down to the feasibility of having it made and whether its financially viable to produce.

mr-ed_smt

Got any pics of when you test fitted it? Keep as updates as to how you get on with it!

If the price point was right, I'd think there would definitely be a viable market for it - people are consistently interested in the otherwise very good Harddog bar, but are always put off by the cost of shipping it here.

SteveMK3

That looks great Rob - just the sort of thing I'm after. I'd definitely have one if production could be sorted out.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Rob988

I don't unfortunately, as soon as its fitted, i'll get pictures up.  Hopefully will be in soon as I hate driving round with my harnesses just attached to the hood bar, its sketchy as hell.

steve b

I looked at the hard dog as had one in my mx5.  Also spoke to a roll cage company and they said if you want the soft top retained then hard dogs design is the only way - however he didn't rate it at all said it's too close to your head & the supports are too vertical and so didn't advise bothering with trying for for a bar at all unless you were going to loose the soft top.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Anonymous

Steve I know you've had problems with the custom cages one, so what would you recommend ? I don't need to retain hard top.

steve b

All the cages will go under a hardtop ok, it's keeping the soft top  that's an issue for most.  With the experience I have  had I'd just stump up and take it to any respected cage builder tell them what I want and leave them to it.  Nickson  did a great job on my MX5 he has seemed to get a lot more expensive in the last few years though.

Tags: